Gibson Brands Forums

A Tele Build

As many of you know Ive built several guitars over the years mostly acoustic models of the martin shapes and sizes. Well I decided it was time to build another guitar but instead of making another acoustic or something complicated, Im going with a simple Telecaster style build. I had a nice solid body blank so I did some measurements and transfers and cut the rough blank on the Band Saw did some shaping on a spindle sander and some back relief shaping with a large table mounted belt sander. I then did the routs for a fender noiseless pickup set and drilled all the routed paths for wiring and I'm on the way. The shape is rounding out some more than it should so it's almost like a early squire which was always a good and really comfortable guitar.

Next steps are shaping and fitting the neck which is already in glue-up with a nice rosewood and maple neck with a rosewood fingerboard shape the headstock and drill it install frets and then start the final shaping and sanding.

I have no idea what finish I want yet I debating some fancy mural paint or maybe just a oil finish and a fine sand or even a french polish so what does everybody think where should I take it from here.

HELP ME OUT AND RECOMMEND SOME FINISHES?

IMG_1320.jpg

IMG_1318.jpg

IMG_1321.jpg

What about doing something really different like this

ConGraham02.jpg

71fotog.jpg

85fotog.jpg

L1020401.jpg

I'm not talented enough to build it myself but the guy who did my gold top also made this double cut tele... I have seen this guy playing with it and it is one sweet guitar...

Oooo....Nice double cut Tele....

I suggest some of your inlay work......Either fancy and complicated, or otherwise.....

Or, since you have good carving skills, carve something really awesome into it....

On the Epi Forum, there's a thread from March 17 2011 by James Edward called

" All Rosewood Guitar....." A home build...Might interest you for a look, for fun...

Just... amber.

The older I get, the less bling I tend to prefer.

Carving... depends. In ways it kinda forces a "style."

But Roy Buchanan managed to do "Misty" as well as "Hey Joe" with just a plain old tele and made it sound good. He liked the Tele neck. I don't, but hey, he was an incredible picker.

Nice wood, so... whatever gives a decent finish that darkens it just a shade; black or tortoise pickguard...

You're planning a maple-look neck or? that also adds into the mix so the guitar looks "whole" instead of a collection of pieces... IMHO, anyway.

m

How does the pickgaurd fit? I see it is routed for pups without the cavities on the front, which makes no PG an option? But regardless of that, how the gaurd fits might help to know what the final look would be, in particular how it fits around the cutaway. If it isn't very close, binding might not be good.

I am seeing some sort of sunburst shading as looking good on that, especially with the rosewood board.

All good Idea's thanks. I did route and drill it so that I don't necessarily need a pick guard if I choose to go that way, My roiginal thought was to inlay some striping almost like pin striping as if it was a guitar gas tank or something and then just a slightly darker oil finish.

I did start a maple neck for the guitar but I also have a pretty nice fretboard that's brazilian rosewood so will see.

maybe a nice french polish since the wood is so pretty.

Archived