Gibson Brands Forums

Martin Suburts

JuanCarlosVejar

Yes, I joined in with the laughs on the horribly home-painted sunburst on that Gibson from the other thread - http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/69115-good-lord-what-a-mess/

I posted a pic of the CEO-6 which is an example of one of Martin's not so aesthetically pleasing bursts.

But on a thread about Martin bursts -

I've seen plenty that are pleasing to me - burst colors that are closer in tone and a fairly smooth gradient across the blend areas between burst colors.

I find Martin examples with harder gradient edges the least pleasing - those with large differences in the burst colors and very little gradient in the blend areas between colors.

Here's a lovely burst on a very nice OM-45GE - . . . . . . . Compared to the burst on a CEO-6 - . . . . . . . And that's the thing about Martin bursts.

p1_upibb4ppn_so.jpg. . 89795.jpg

It's been my experience that burst finish's usually don't photograph real well.

They have to be seen in person to be appreciated.

I have a Santa Cruz VJ which looks hideous in pictures but is pretty nice in person.

Martin 'bursts are just different, is all.

The shaded tops that they did in the 30s is what they try to mimic often, when they do a burst, and it appears that they follow the outline of the guitar's body in achieving it. And they seem to "blend" a little less nicely than the bursts done by Gibson and others.

Their recent-current "amberbursts" have been a little less "severe" than the shaded tops with their well-demarcated burst.

I used to have a nice OM-21S with the amberburst finish. Just for fun, I snapped a pic of it next to my amberburst/honeyburst Gibson J-200Jr, for comparison:

200Jrpal4.jpg

Each to their own. Although I really like most Gibson bursts a lot, I think I have enough latitude to be able to appreciate other bursts too.

Just some more than others!

Fred

Archived