Gibson Brands Forums

The switch to GIBSON

brannon67

Like most of you here, I have had, tried and played almost every guitar out there, every brand, etc. Although they were great guitars(some of them anyway) I finally decided that Gibson was for me, and thats all I play now. I just love the Gibson sound, and decided to make the switch and stick with them. I kno wmost of you have other brands of guitars as well, and thats understandable, but as for me, I have totally switched to Gibson acoustic guitars. Anyone else here made the change.

Congratulations and perfectly understandable !

As you can see Im about 75% Gibson and I think this percentage wont change too much.

However I will say that while I love the Gibson tone and its what Im most attracted to by far I also enjoy other brands, especially with a vintage voicing. I really enjoy playing also my Furch OM as it has a Martin inspired tone but is more balanced and responsive. Its great for a change, but I will always return to the Gibsons, nothing else out there like it ! [thumbup]

But I do have a Martin Backpacker guitar, Ha. But my main playing and stage guitars are all Gibsons, and Oh yes, I have 2 Epiphone now also. My Epis are the ones I mostly play out. So Gibsons and Epis I love.

I own other makes of guitars, but Gibson is my favorite: hands down. Since I began playing guitar some 45 years ago, I've never been without a Gibson. My first guitar was a real cheapie and I don't even know if it had a name. My second guitar was a B25 that my parents bought for me at Benjamin's Music in Kansas City. The store was an old two-story house, now long gone. Anyway, I sicerely credit that guitar with making me want to play guitar more and more. The setup was perfect for a kid who had sore fingers. It was like fretting chords on an electric: just rest your fingers on the strings. Anyway, I'm on my 3rd Hummingbird. Broke the first one. Left it sitting on a chair at The Missouri State Fair in I think 1981....a drunk fell over the chair and on the "bird." Had a couple of Gibby classical guitars, my current J150, a J50, a Songwriter. Loved/love them all. I like some Martins too, but Gibson is what I'm typically looking at.

Ineresting you have both a HB Pro and Artist - aren't they essentially the same guitar ?

What was the reason that made you buy both of those out of curiosity ?

My Gibson family:

Gibson Hummingbird Pro

Gibson Hummingbird Artist

Gibson CF-100E

Gibson J45 Standard

Epiphone EJ160E

Epiphone AJ200VE model

Not so much switched as came back to.

My first guitar was a 1930s Martin archtop a friend of the family gave me for my birthday. My first Gibson followed a few years later - a 1930s L-00 (back then it was just a used guitar). That and a 1958 Tele remained my gigging guitars for alot of years. Others came and went - an Oscar Schmidt Stella, a Guild (Hoboken-made), at least one Martin and some others. I owned a 1940s J-45 for as bit but traded it for a National Style O. In the early 1980s I, for whatever reason, just stopped playing and got rid of every guitar I owned except the Tele. When I came back I found I was happier playing acoustic than electric and ended up with a 1960 J-200 followed by a 1956 SJ. Still got them both.

But ya know I still need an old steel body National around.

I was a one-eyed Martin or Dobro boy and a friend bought a '80s J200 that was plain tinny, so combined with old Norlin stories I was fairly sure Gibson were finished.

I started to bend when watching some Lightning Hopkins videos, and got converted by Ernie Hawkins' old J45. I had a sore neck from playing the metal Dobro, so I read about smaller guitars and bought a brand new Epiphone EL00, then just had to have the real thing Gibson Blues King, then 6 months later a brand new J45 Standard. Incredible guitars! And recently bought a 1958 Gibson LG-0 for slide which everyone else on the forum seem to dislike, but I think I must have got the good one! I am keeping an eye out for a good '50s Gibson LG1 to go with my LG0, then that is the end of buying guitars, unless of course I sway towards a strummer like a 'Bird or now that I think of it this J200 at the local said 'Jazz' for some reason when I played it, and I suppose a Birthday year J45 would be......................

BluesKing777.

P.S. Someone had a rule where if a new item comes in the house, one older item must leave...some Martins are getting nervy.

I own other makes of guitars, but Gibson is my favorite: hands down. Since I began playing guitar some 45 years ago, I've never been without a Gibson. My first guitar was a real cheapie and I don't even know if it had a name. My second guitar was a B25 that my parents bought for me at Benjamin's Music in Kansas City. The store was an old two-story house, now long gone. Anyway, I sicerely credit that guitar with making me want to play guitar more and more. The setup was perfect for a kid who had sore fingers. It was like fretting chords on an electric: just rest your fingers on the strings. Anyway, I'm on my 3rd Hummingbird. Broke the first one. Left it sitting on a chair at The Missouri State Fair in I think 1981....a drunk fell over the chair and on the "bird." Had a couple of Gibby classical guitars, my current J150, a J50, a Songwriter. Loved/love them all. I like some Martins too, but Gibson is what I'm typically looking at.

wow 45 years , that is something . thanks for the short story I liked reading it .

Oooo, youre going to get rid of the HD-28 Lefty ?

Still undecided on that one Aussie. Might be smart to keep one "different" axe in the stable, just so that I can enjoy going back to the Gibson sound after playing the Martin.

Actually, I played the HD-28 exclusively this last weekend, as I'm taking my J-45 to Guitar Camp in Tennessee for a full week & wanted to keep the strings nice & fresh. Quite enjoyed the variation in tone & response.

Personally I would keep the HD-28. For a couple reasons, firstly as you said its a different tone to the Gibsons and I think its good to have a change up. Secondly its rosewood b/s which is a good complement to your mahogany guitars.

I generally prefer hog but my SWD is by far the best 'stage' guitar as the rosewood overtones really can fill a room when played through a PA.

Still undecided on that one Aussie. Might be smart to keep one "different" axe in the stable, just so that I can enjoy going back to the Gibson sound after playing the Martin.

Actually, I played the HD-28 exclusively this last weekend, as I'm taking my J-45 to Guitar Camp in Tennessee for a full week & wanted to keep the strings nice & fresh. Quite enjoyed the variation in tone & response.

Personally I would keep the HD-28. For a couple reasons, firstly as you said its a different tone to the Gibsons and I think its good to have a change up. Secondly its rosewood b/s which is a good complement to your mahogany guitars.

I generally prefer hog but my SWD is by far the best 'stage' guitar as the rosewood overtones really can fill a room when played through a PA.

Good points!

I only own 3 "high" quality acoustics, a '61 L-7, a '65 Martin 000-16, and a Larevee OM hog with a hog top.

On the one hand, I can see where someone could absolutely prefer Gibson, but to only be ALL Gibson seems a bit extreme.

But, if archtops count, I can honestly also say there is nothing that can do it or replace it. I CAN say that I could see only going Gibson and nothing but there (of corse, supposing I could have many or at least more than one).

But talking flattops, if I was backed into a corner, I am afraid I would have to defect. My favorite sound to play comes from the smaller bodied OM or 000 sized Martin style, and Gibson does not have anything that can really stand in as far as that goes. But, the same reasons why I have to have that tone is the same reason why I prefer a good, bright Gibby dread size to a Martin dread: that even tone that has the overtones more incorporated into the sound, rather than overpowering it with treble and bass.

If I was playing flat tops out with others like some of you are, I might have a completely different view.

Yep, I see it a similar way, hence why I have the Furch OM, havent really found a small bodied Gibson that talked to me like a small bodied Martin or in this case Furch / Stonenbridge.

Variety is the spice of life afterall !

But talking flattops, if I was backed into a corner, I am afraid I would have to defect. My favorite sound to play comes from the smaller bodied OM or 000 sized Martin style, and Gibson does not have anything that can really stand in as far as that goes. But, the same reasons why I have to have that tone is the same reason why I prefer a good, bright Gibby dread size to a Martin dread: that even tone that has the overtones more incorporated into the sound, rather than overpowering it with treble and bass.

Yep, I see it a similar way, hence why I have the Furch OM, havent really found a small bodied Gibson that talked to me like a small bodied Martin or in this case Furch / Stonenbridge.

Variety is the spice of life afterall !

The same with my Larevee. It is literally a stand in for a Martin OM or 000 hog top, which is what I wanted. But, I could NOT find a new one that I could obtain that did what the old ones do (which, I could also not find available to buy when I bought the Larevee).

Which, brings up what I think is an interesting point: There are a LOT of makers who can do a GOOD job making a Martin type that sounds good, and even sound like a proper Martin. But I know of no maker who can Make a proper sounding Gibson, except for Gibson.

Intersting you mention this Stein. I just made an indentical point on the AGF. I think rarther than re-writing it Ill just cut and past what I wrote on that other site.

" No guitar can give you an exact Martin tone, and that is a good enough reason to argue that Martins are not overrated.

However the broad Martin 'tone' is now associated as the standard tone that many manufacturers are either copying or are inspired by.

Hence there will be manufacturers that can create a guitar that has as a 'basis' a tone that is close to Martin. They can also deliver this tone at a signficantly better price.

If I look at Stonebridge, it is a maker with arguably equal or better quality to Martin, and their rosewood dreads are very much inspired by the Martin tone, but available at around 1/2 the price of a D-28.

Bottom line if folks are buying them, and are happy with their purchase, Martins are certainly not overrated.

btw: Its actually one of the reasons why I like Gibsons so much. I dont know of one mainstream manucturer that has come close to replicating the Gibson tone. That is an amazing achievement to be able, after so many decades still maintain such a significant point of difference and uniqueness."

Which, brings up what I think is an interesting point: There are a LOT of makers who can do a GOOD job making a Martin type that sounds good, and even sound like a proper Martin. But I know of no maker who can Make a proper sounding Gibson, except for Gibson.

Oh no worries there ChrisA. Ruffling feathers on the AGF is one of my favourite past times. The Taylor boys in particular get their knickers in a knot so quickly its hugely entertaining ..!

Plus I enjoy sticking up for Gibson there :-)

Archived