Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson.com question

Artie Owl

Howdy Gang,

Here I'd thought I've gone off the deep end when I told someone that the Epi Nighthawk has an ebony fretboard.

It turns out they advertised it as such; and I quote;

"Fingerboard Species The neck of the Nighthawk Custom Reissue carries a bound ebony fingerboard, long considered an "upgrade" on Epiphone guitars"

Thinking that maybe it was just a typo I read on and a second feature section states;

"Tonal Characteristics Ebony fingerboards are known for their tight, clear tone and excellent durability."

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Designer/Epiphone/Nighthawk-Custom-Reissue/Neck-and-Headstock.aspx

However, on the other page for general info the breakdown says it's rosewood;

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Designer/Epiphone/Nighthawk-Custom-Reissue.aspx

I've also had my hands on the Trans Amber model, and that was definietly not Ebony.

What's up with that Gibson/Epiphone?

I bought a trans black one shortly after they came out and it is NOT Ebony. At first I just thought it was dried out so I put some oil on the fretboard but it definitely is not ebony.

I'm actually trying to sell it because I need the cash.

Pete, check out both my links and you'll see two distinct answers to what it's made of. I guess this isn't a complaint as much as it is a heads up to Gibson.com to make sure someone doesn't claim false advertising.

Sorry Stiffhand I thought the SG was always Rosewood?

The SG model with coil-splitting pickups had ebony until recently apparently, still listed as ebony on websites.

This model has different pickups, neck profile, fingerboard and color choices than a Standard.

[confused]

Fingerboard Species Rosewood

Frets 22

Radius 12"

Scale Length 25.5"

Binding Cream Binding

Inlays Mother-of-Pearl "Crown" Inlays

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Designer/Epiphone/Nighthawk-Custom-Reissue/Specs.aspx

http://www.epiphone.com/default.asp?ProductID=347&CollectionID=18

Peter,

Artie Owl is right.

Although the two links you sent say rosewood for the fingerboard, the link that Artie Owl posted does say Ebony.

And I remember quite well that the Nighthawks were advertised with Ebony fretboards as was the Les Paul Custom Blackback.

So now it seems that in both cases, fretboards were changed to rosewood, although initially advertised as ebony.

I was quite interested in both models because of the Ebony fretboard (well, that was one of the reasons I was interested in them).

Thanks guys, it's good to know I'm not the only one who saw that. Truthfully that was also part of my interest in this guitar, and although it's not a deal breaker it's one of those things you have to wonder on what else could be swapped out.

Like, Is it real mother of pearl or acrylic?

Anyway I'll still be getting this guitar, I'm just trying to raise awareness haha.

Thanks guys, it's good to know I'm not the only one who saw that. Truthfully that was also part of my interest in this guitar, and although it's not a deal breaker it's one of those things you have to wonder on what else could be swapped out.

Like, Is it real mother of pearl or acrylic?

Anyway I'll still be getting this guitar, I'm just trying to raise awareness haha.

Spec sheet was indeed changed to rosewood, it should have been updated on all pages so we'll pass it to the web crew to correct asap. Thanks!

I was never familiar with the SG standard with coil taps in depth, I just know a regular standard pretty well.

I still think CS should hook me up with a t-shirt or something for pointing that out before it became an issue! [razz]

Oh well, at least it's been addressed.

Archived