Gibson Brands Forums

Microphones for Acoustic Guitar

mcmurray

Hey guys.

I'm looking for recommendations for condenser mics to record acoustic guitar, which aren't ridiculously expensive. i.e. my budget is $1000 or less.

Are there any experts here that could offer suggestions?

Cheers!

Yes, I'm busy with law sh*t, I may end up sending you a PM...........[thumbup]

I KNOW recording, if I post an answer, then geetar players here will " dispute " my knowledge.........[crying][scared] ..

I use a Rode M3 I find it perfect for Guitar studio or live great value for money.

Of course, Enmitygauged knows his stuff...........[thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup] .....

I own Rhodes as well...........

Yes, I'm busy with law sh*t, I may end up sending you a PM...........[thumbup]

I KNOW recording, if I post an answer, then geetar players here will " dispute " my knowledge.........[crying][scared] ..

I'm all ears mate.

Interestingly, my final year thesis was the design of a low noise condenser mic preamplifier (the preamp within the microphone, not the mixing desk). I learnt a sh!tload from it. Like most electronics engineers though (or oxygen theives, as I've heard us called quite a few times) my real world knowledge is limited. Any pearls of wisdom you can offer would be great.

Recording acoustic guitars pretty much sux. I gave up on it long time ago. I use an Ovation that I've gigged a long time. I can stick it into anything amp or modeler wise and get SOMEthing useable out of it.

Good luck with it. I admire anyone that does that. I just don't have the patience for it.

rct

Sorry I cannot recommend any specific models, but for $1k you should be able to get something very nice. A month or two ago I got a Blue Spark. It's 100% a budget large diaphragm condenser, but sounds nice. Still learning the ins and outs of this mic. Running it through a tube preamp does help.

I'm a SHURE guy. The workhouse condensers I keep around are the Shure SM-81. Great mic for acoustics and many other applications.

In fact, I posted one for sale in the Trading Post a while back ($200). It is still available to a good home.

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/66716-fs-shure-sm-81-condenser-mic/page__p__903262__hl__sm-81__fromsearch__1#entry903262

I'm a SHURE guy. The workhouse condensers I keep around are the Shure SM-81. Great mic for acoustics and many other applications.

In fact, I posted one for sale in the Trading Post a while back ($200). It is still available to a good home.

http://forum.gibson....__1#entry903262

How does the SM81 differ from the SM57?

How does the SM81 differ from the SM57?

They are night and day. For starters the 57 is a dynamic mic (has a physical diaphragm). The 81 is a unidirectional condenser mic (requires phantom power to electrically generate a "diaphragm"). Not sure what the SPLs are for each, but my guess is that the 57 can take a lot more than the 81. Etc, etc...

Archived