Gibson Brands Forums

So really, how good is the Gibson ES335?

drumrnmuzik

Hi all,

I just got a an Epi Dot and I really have to say WOW!

This little baby sounds great. The fret board and frets are spot on perfect. Ok, there's too much black on the rose wood but I cleaned it with lemon oil and my fingers do the rest.

But when I play, the whole guitar comes alive and is a living thing. The whole body vibrates and feels like its coaching me on to play more and more. The sound is rich and the pups reproduce a nice warm clean sound that would put a baby tiger to sleep.

Ok, Epi is Chinese and Gibson is America. I'd perfer to spend my bucks in the USA, but 10 times more?

Pls tell me that the Gibson wood is selected by the elfen gods or that the assembly is done my master luiters that only they know the secrets of the ancient ways.

I'd love to have that Gibson headstock, but, how can I explain that to my checkbook?

Best to all of ya's [biggrin]

Congratz on the Dot.

I've been considering one myself, or the Sheraton. I haven't been overly impressed with most Epiphones I've played over the years, but those 2 are really nice. I agree, it would be nice to own the ES335, but for the small difference in quality and the huge price difference I'll take the Dot.

I got an Epi Dot last year because I wanted a semi with a Gibson type neck and the 335 is way more than I can justify on a new guitar.

I'd played several a few years before and should have spent a few more bucks on a black one I really liked in a store than then went under in a nearby town.

I tried other similar guitars from other companies. Naaah. I think the Dot probably is the best all-around electric guitar for the money in circulation today.

The weakness is the same as any guitar, but perhaps more in ways for the semi-hollow and thin hollow than solidbodies or full hollow jazz guitars: How we perceive the sound through amplification. We see the semis as do-everything guitars and in ways they really are, but that perception can be damaged by assuming they'll operate the same as a solid.

Yeah, I think a Gibson is a much better choice if one has the cash and finds a neck that fits one's hand best. The machine-made neck is nice enough for me given the price diff.

m

Yeah, I tried a Cort Yorktown since it was supposed to the the best budget hollow axe on the market.

I guess that it was ok, but the neck wasn't very precise and they had to file down some frets because of buzzing. It was extremely sensitive to feedback but the uncontrollable kind that was hard to utilize.

So I brough it back and got my Epi. I could send a pic, but anyone can just Google a Cherry red Epi Dot and there it is. Like their stamped out of a cookie cutter !

No, I'm extremely happy with the sound, smooth as butter or knarley for trash metal. I just say congrats to Gibson who set up that state of the art factory in China. Ya'll should check the U-Tube videos on their factory. Fine job of a great guitar for the masses.

Cheers to all of you.

I've owned both.......( Those 335s, both Gibby and Epis stolen )........

I loved them both......IMHO, once wood is laminated, it doesn't matter the GRADE blah blah blah......

Both are great 335s..........Gibby and Epi....Epiphone EXCELS at semi-hollow guitars...Gibby excels at solid bodys.....IMHO..

( I AM going with Carvin for my next semi hollow though, and custom made..).......( Oh, and it's not laminated. )

IMHO, once wood is laminated, it doesn't matter the GRADE blah blah blah......

That's what I was thinking. I'm sure that the electronics, pickups, etc. are "better" (whatever that means... [rolleyes]) on the Gibson, but the way it seems to me is that laminated wood is laminated wood.

At any rate, I've heard a lot of great things about the Epi Dot.

[thumbup]

Archived