Gibson Brands Forums

Nice little newspiece on Gibson Montana

J-1854Me

Oh that was WAY too short ... :-(

Very cool though, would be great to have at least a 20 minute version.

I remember Bill Collings did a cool video thats on youtube where he talks about philosophy of Collings guitars and we see how theyre made, that great.

i love it. this video with the people and the places reminded me of some good times up there! all of the Gibson guys are first class, as are the guys at Music Villa. they may be a competitor of mine, but i'm sure glad they are around doing their part to share these amazing works of art with the world.

Not sure about Fred but there is a handful of folks who could call this a "NGD" but I think I should let them break the news to the world...

And this is "Gibson Day" at Music villa so I have a feeling that we're not done yet. I will say that Dave from Salt Lake won a Hummingbird...the big doorprize provided by Gibson. He is going home a very happy fellow...

How's the homecoming going Fred? Are you enjoying yourself? Any guitars you need to fill us in on? Are you playing in the open mics?

Hey Karen.

Homecoming's done for me -- I left early today as my flights had been arranged months in advance, before the "Gibson days" deals at Music Villa were announced. So, sadly, I had to leave ahead of the others, who are likely still busy checking out gear n' guitars, and have an open mic event planned for tonight still.

"A good time was had by all" I think would be an appropriate thing to say! A number of folks -- myself included -- haunted the Music Villa, smudging up guitar after guitar.

A few pics, just for fun.

As with past years, we received a warm welcome from the Gibson staff:

IMGP6172.jpg

This year, our personal tour guide was none other than Custom Shop builder and all-round wonderful person Val Bolitho. Here she is showing us a fingerboard destined for some type of guitar (she made us ALL list which guitars it could possibly be used on before letting us go to the next portion of the tour):

IMG_4228.jpg

Trivia observation: So, check out the guys washroom door:

IMGP6106.jpg

Care to guess if the toilets have real Mother-of-Toilet-Seat?

And yes, the ladies restroom door was the same vintage sunburst too.

The question has been asked "what happens to rejects?" Well, they end up in the Barrel of Mournful Tears:

IMG_4235.jpg

Headstocks a-plenty:

IMGP6151.jpg

Towards the end of the tour, saw this interesting mahogany-topped J-45/12 string nearing the bridge-set up area:

IMGP6178.jpg

A rack of guitars:

IMGP6184.jpg

Now off to Music Villa for a few photots.

Everyone told me to go check out this Custom Shop-built J-185. Man what a pretty pretty guitar:

IMGP6213.jpg

Check out the fingerboard inlay on this twenty year old, ren Ferguson-built beauty:

IMGP6226.jpg

And the headstock:

IMGP6223.jpg

I may put a few more pictures up later.

The time was too short, but it was a lot of fun.

Fred

Oh, I LOVE that J-185! Pretty pretty pretty! Mine mine mine! [biggrin]

Val sure looks great!

Love the washroom door [thumbup]

Was that 12 string hog top a custom build for someone?

I remember those wonderful days loitering in Music Villa! I'll bet Dave is a happy camper tonight [thumbup]

Thanks for the update and pics Fred[smile]

I remember those guitars when I was there... Its neat to watch close up the whole production... even up in the drying room.... all those beauties curing for the next stage...

I have to say though.. The staff is second to none... a excellent bunch...

• 1 month later...

Thank you for sharing these fresh pictures, wish I'd been there. The burst door is terrific -

Would like to try that 185.

Can't believe the fate of those wrecks. . .

I believe that particular J-185 showed up for sale on acousticguitar.com this April.

It is labeled "NR Special." Google "j-185 cherry blossom inlay." There is also a video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVYt3Kdttgg&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

Cool! I've contemplated doing that to my music room door, or at least the bi-fold closet doors.

IMGP6106.jpg

The sawn-in-half Blues guitar: I'd love to use it for a waste basket next to my desk.

IMG_4235.jpg

Archived