Gibson Brands Forums

who'd of thought a pork chop could be so deadly!

S t e v e

Guys... Pink Pork is fine provided it comes from a clean source.

I run a large 5 star hotel & we source our Pork, & cook it pink unless requested otherwise, from a supplier that grain feeds paddock roaming pigs, & we have had it lab test confirmed that this meat contains no nasties.

The problem with Pork is that, in comparison to Beef or Lamb, it has been a much less regulated industry over the decades, & prone to attracting many very unscrupulous operators.

Dirty, crowded conditions & poor treatment led to the past (&, shamefully, in some cases ongoing) need to cook pork fully to ensure that you dealt with all the nasties that propogate in such environments.

Caveat: I'm a Hotel guy, not a Doctor or a Scientist, so use this info at your discretion.

Gotta love those disclaimers, lol

Sorry...

New South Wales (Australia) is the 2nd most litegious state in the world... ranking only after California [scared]

workerscompensationlawy.gif

Disclaimer: This button doesn't really work!

This cut & paste is from the New South Wales (NSW) Dept of Health

What is listeriosis?

Listeriosis is a rare illness caused by eating food contaminated with bacteria called Listeria monocytogenes. The Listeria bacteria are common in soil and some raw foods. Eating foods that contain Listeria bacteria does not cause illness in most people. There are typically 20 to 30 cases of listeriosis reported each year in NSW. Although listeriosis is rare, it has a high death rate.

What are the symptoms?

The incubation period (between infection and symptoms) can vary from three to 70 days but on average is about three weeks. Infections may cause septicaemia (blood poisoning), meningitis (inflammation of the brain) and miscarriage in pregnant women. Symptoms include: fever, muscle aches, and sometimes gastrointestinal symptoms such as nausea and diarrhoea. In the more severe form, symptoms also include collapse and shock. If infection spreads to the central nervous system, symptoms such as headache, stiff neck, confusion, loss of balance, convulsions and coma can occur. About a third of these patients may die. Infection during pregnancy can lead to miscarriage, stillbirth and infection of the newborn.

How is it spread?

Listeria monocytogenes is widespread throughout nature, being commonly carried by many species of both domestic and wild animals. Raw meat, unpasteurised milk, raw fruit and vegetables can be contaminated with the bacteria. Outbreaks of illness have been associated with raw or contaminated milk, soft cheeses, preprepared salads (for example, from salad bars), unwashed raw vegetables, and ready to eat meat such as paté. People who are at risk can contract listeriosis through eating food contaminated with the Listeria bacteria. Babies can be born with listeriosis if their mothers eat contaminated food during the pregnancy.

Bottom line is that you are as (un)likely to to get listeriosis from a carrot as you are from pink pork [rolleyes]

"Cause his name is STEVE, or he was drunk on vodka, or both........

i'm not realy a lover of pork tbh, i like bacon but if i'm gonna cook a roast it usualy involves beef or lamb...i love lamb with a bit of mint sauce [drool]

Archived