Gibson Brands Forums

autographed PRS guitar

saturn

Just curious. I was playing a private party on Sunday and the owner of the house came up to me and asked if I would play his guitar on at least one song. I said sure, I'd be happy.

Well he said he won it in a charity auction and it was a Paul something or other and was signed by the maker and a bunch of Baltimore Ravens and old Baltimore Colts. Being in Maryland and we were on the Eastern Shore I said "oh PRS" and he was like yeah that's the guy. It's an SE but still very nice. It was a very hot, muggy night and when I saw it I asked if he was sure, because I didn't want to sweat on it and rub off any signatures but he didn't care. He paid for it and wanted to hear it (he didn't play himself). So I went ahead and tuned it up and played it on Johhny B Good, but was afraid to play too much more. And it looked like a storm was coming up so I put it back in his house.

Long story, but....the question remains...could I have rubbed off the signatures (I think they used a Sharpie) and should such a guitar even be played or just hung in a case for display?

I took some cell phone pics:

signedPRS.jpg

signedPRS2.jpg

The action and setup was very good. It had the same strings since he bought it back in about November. I just sprayed some Finger Ease on. It played real well. I ran it through my new ProCo Rat pedal on a low gain setting. Nice growl. I shuold have played it some more, but didn't want to mess it up. Plus I had 2 real Gibsons on the stand and a real nice Squire Classic Vibe Tele and Strat. To many guitars....NOT [thumbup]

That's cool he doesn't care about the ink rubbing off. Paul's signature is worthless and who cares about a bunch of jocks signing a random guitar? Granted, this guy won it but I don't understand why people want autographs on their guitars.

I would let only one person sign my guitar...Alex Lifeson. Well him and SRV if he were still alive. But then I would never play it again. Yeah I know it should be played, but it would give me a good excuse to buy another in its place!

personally I would only get my guitars signed by a musician associated with that model and signed somewhere that wouldn't rub off from playing... behind the headstock, just above the controls behind the bridge, someplace my body doesn't usually contact on the guitar. ...or put some sort of clear coat on the signature to protect it.

The other option of course would be to just give up and put the guitar behind glass and never play it again... while I'm not above buying guitars for investments, I do play all my guitars even if some get less play than others.

If I was to autograph a guitar in place I was afraid the signature would wear off, I'd at least make it a guitar that's been played heavily and earned retirement - something a collector would likely pass on buying if it weren't for the autograph of someone well known and known to play that particular model of guitar. For example a well worn late 50's Les Paul signed by Jimmy Page or a pre-CBS strat signed by Clapton.

Archived