Gibson Brands Forums

Woe is me part II

daveinspain

Ok, so here I am all excited to try my new Egnator Rebel 30... First thing I did was switch it to 230v from the 110 setting, hook every thing up, switch on and pufffff.... Made a sound like plugging into an amp thats on and then nothing... Then I smelt that burnt something smell.... ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) So now I have to wait till Monday to find out what happened. Please be something simple... [-o< [-o< [-o<

yeah first thing I did was pop it out for a look... Looks ok but I don't have a tester here at home to know for sure... Would a blown fuse make that burnt smell? The smell is not very strong, you have to put your nose to the amp head to smell it but it's there...

Blame Harry Potter !!!!!!!!!! [scared] ..

That doesn't sound good.......I love my Egnater amps.......A burnt smell doesn't sound good.....

Hmmmm.....Andy ??? Stein ?????

Ok, so here I am all excited to try my new Egnator Rebel 30... First thing I did was switch it to 230v from the 110 setting, hook every thing up, switch on and pufffff.... Made a sound like plugging into an amp thats on and then nothing... Then I smelt that burnt something smell.... ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) So now I have to wait till Monday to find out what happened. Please be something simple... [-o< [-o< [-o<

When I first played my Egnator Tourmaster the first time I cranked it up and it blew the High Tension Fuses that are not accessible (suck) from the back of the amp. I had to open it up and found both HT fuses blown. You can usually tell when the HT fuses blow because the amp power light etc is on but no sound comes out. I replaced them and haven't had any trouble since.

Andy

Here's the manual... No schematic though.

http://www.google.co...2y1Fjgw&cad=rja

Dave,

It looks like the high tension fuse is actually accessible from the back on this one and is obvious as being a fuse. Did you only check this one? The main power fuse is difficult to find as it is integrated into the power cord connector on the back and is not obvious where it is located. You have to kinda push in near the bottom of where the power cord goes in and it will kinda pop out to get to it. Make sure you check that one as well. It also specifies a different value fuse for 230 operation.

If you don't have a tester and it is not obviously blown you can use a 9V effects pedal with a light to test it. just plug your guitar cables in so that the pedal will light up as it should. Un-clip one side of the battery and turn it so you you can access the other side of the battery and clip. take a small piece of wire and hold to the fuse and connector and touch the other end to the battery. ( you might have to hit the pedal switch again) If you get a light it is fine if you don't it is blown.....

Also if the amp is new or has never been used as 230 the electronic burn smell might be normal just from first time use....

Andy

I hope it wasn't burning varnish from a power transformer...... [scared]

is that 230 rating for U.S. usage.....where are you now?

the differences between 220/230/240 can be monstrous without even delving into the US-vs-EU applications, which can present a whole new set of problems theirself.

best of luck to you.....hope it's something minor !!

Hey Bender, I'm in Spain now which uses 220v. I have a Rebel 20 which I have been using a couple years now with no problem. Took the Rebel 20 home, switched it to 230v with the power selector switch on the back and no problem what so ever. I'll be calling Egnator on Monday to see if they have any ideas or if they can tell me where to send it in Spain.

Archived