Gibson Brands Forums

Anyone ever try or own a 20th Anniversary Advanced Jumbo (Adi/Madi)?

jackcooper

Hi all. First post. :)

Recently bought a lovely 1953 J-45 and am going to be looking for a Rosewood Gibson somewhere down the line. The Advanced Jumbo has always appealed (mainly because Randy Scruggs is always seen with one :) )

I tried two nice standard Advanced Jumbos recently, then stumbled upon a few website/shops that stock the Adirondack topped/Madagascar Back and Sides 20th Anniversary edition http://www.guitarvillage.co.uk/productdetail.aspx?pid=8782.

I already own a Adi/Madi Martin D-28 which I love, I just wondered whether any of you guys had tried the 20th Anniversary model, and whether you think the Adi/Madi combination works well with the model.

I obviously will try before buying but just wanted to ask your thoughts.

Cheers.

Jack.

I have a 2007 Adirondack / Madagascar AJ. Mine has an ebony bridge and fingerboard, but apart from that, I think it's essentially the same guitar as the one you are looking at. I also have three high end Marquis/GE-series Martins (one in Madagascar RW), as well as a Gibson J-45 TV. The AJ is my favorite among them. To me, it is a perfect combination of power, bass, and clarity. It's simply a monster of a guitar. I believe the Adirondack and Madagascar woods both help give the tone greater clarity and separation.

Good luck!

Lars

Looks like a great guitar but why does Gibson put decals on the back of their headstocks.

It cheapens the look of a fine guitar like this.

Could be worse.... Have you seen what G&L are now doing? A metal tag with the S/N screwed in.

GL-SN-Tag.gif

BTW....Stunning guitar. I would love to hear it.

Thanks for the replies guys.

I have a 2007 Adirondack / Madagascar AJ. Mine has an ebony bridge and fingerboard, but apart from that, I think it's essentially the same guitar as the one you are looking at. I also have three high end Marquis/GE-series Martins (one in Madagascar RW), as well as a Gibson J-45 TV. The AJ is my favorite among them. To me, it is a perfect combination of power, bass, and clarity. It's simply a monster of a guitar. I believe the Adirondack and Madagascar woods both help give the tone greater clarity and separation.

Good luck!

Lars

Lars, if you don't mind me asking, which Madagascar Martins do you own?

I have an America's Guitar Martin, and it's simply stunning in it's sound.

I'm not able to try before I buy but am thinking of ordering two of the 20th Century's and keeping the best one. Do you reckon the quality of these "Luthier Choice" models would be pretty consistent?

... I just wondered whether any of you guys had tried the 20th Anniversary model, and whether you think the Adi/Madi combination works well with the model. ...

I've played just one of the 20, but it was really nice. Easily the best of the several Adirondack/Madagascar AJs I've auditioned. However, it was not in the same league as the best of the Adi/Braz AJs, IMHO. But I'd probably take that one over any Bozeman-built EIRW AJ I've played, and even over many of their Braz AJs.

Since Gibson has sworn off Madagascar RW and is just using up its existing stocks -- Bozeman's stock of sides and backs has been exhausted, but there were still some smaller pieces for fretboards and bridges when I was there in June -- now might be a good time for a Madi fan such as yourself to make a move. (Disclaimer: I must admit that "There aren't going to be any more" figured into my recent purchase of a Madi SJ-200.)

-- Bob R

As for the Martins, I own an OM-28 Marquis Madagascar, a D-45 Marquis (Indian rosewood) and a D-18GE (mahogany). I live in Sweden and get to play very few high end guitars and Gibsons are especially rare. So I really have no opinion regarding the consistency of the Gibson line. However, going only by my three Martins and two Gibson, Martin has a clear upperhand as far as fit and finish.

The AJ I bought was a spur of the moment kind of thing. I stumbled upon it on the Martin forum (UMGF) Buy & Sell section. It had a repaired neck break which made the price very reasonable (at least for me here in Sweden). When the guitar arrived from the U.S. it had some other issues. There was a hairline crack on the treble side. The action was so high that the guitar was almost unplayable. Also, the truss rod did not work properly. Now with all these issues you might expect me to be very dissapointed with my purchase, but no, I love this guitar. The neck repair is almost invisible and looks to be a non-issue. I repaired the side crack myself. I was going to show it to someone else the other day, and I could not find it first. So, I guess I did alright :-). I then had the action sorted by a local shop. The guitar gave me a few headaches, but now I have a truly wonderful guitar that I will most likely be able to hand to my kids one day.

Even though my two Madagascar guitars are two different models by two different makers, I still hear similarities that I attribute to the Madagascar back and sides. Both the OM and the AJ have a bell-like clarity and chime, that is not there with the Martin dreads. I think that you will lose some bass on the lower string with madagascar, but gain clarity and note separation. Indian rosewood, I feel, is a lot darker and bassier. This is why I picked a Martin dread in IR and an OM in Madagascar. A Martin dread is kind of all about power and bass, while the OM excells in clarity and chime. I wanted the two guitars to be as different as possible; at different ends of the tonal spectrum, so to speak. The Indian D-45 Marquis is all about power and heavy bass, which is what I was lookin for. It's just not a very delicate instrument. The OM, on the other hand, is the opposite, with its more delicate "pretty" tone. When the AJ arrived, it landed somewhere in between these two guitars, sharing attibutes from both. Maybe that is why I like it so much.

If you already have a Martin dread in Madagascar, you might find the AJ to be somewhat similar but with a Gibson twist.

How does your old J-45 compare to the Martin? My J-45 TV is my most unique sounding guitar. It is so dry and raw that it sound like walking on dry leaves and twigs in a forrest that hasn't seen any rain for months. I wouldn't want this as my only guitar, but what a cool sound it is...

Best of luck on your hunt!!

Lars

How does your old J-45 compare to the Martin? My J-45 TV is my most unique sounding guitar. It is so dry and raw that it sound like walking on dry leaves and twigs in a forrest that hasn't seen any rain for months. I wouldn't want this as my only guitar, but what a cool sound it is...

Thanks for your reply Lars.

Very informative! And I liked the cool description of your J-45 TV's tone.

The 1953 J-45 probably has the most beautiful tone of all my guitars. It's not a powerhouse brash sort of J-45, but it is very clear and equal across each string, and as a lovely bass thump accompanying all the clarity. The notes seem to swell as they sustain and similar to yours it gives it a very unique character.

It sounds lovely for strumming and just like the classic Americana sound I love. I sometimes play chords and just lift the guitar up to my ear to enjoy listening to the swell ;)

The America's Guitar is by far and away the best Rosewood guitar I've ever owned. Again like the J-45 it has a lovely swell sustain effect, but it's much thicker toned than the J-45. I remember a friend came over with his Clarence White D-28 which I'd always admired, and the difference between them was incredible. The AG had a far darker and fuller tone (the CW sounded very Mid Range toned in comparison - possibly more to do with the enlarged soundhole - although I had previously thought this was one of the fullest toned guitars I'd heard) I definitely agree that the Madagascar seems to add clarity, and that's why I think I love the AG so much. It has a thick bassy dreadnought sound, but with an added crisp clarity on top, which stops it getting muddy.

I'm still trying to work out whether I should go for the Advance Jumbo, or another Martin (I played a fantastic HD-28V custom recently - unfortunately I didn't have my AG with me to compare).

I keep thinking I should go for the AJ, but it's the more complicated option as in order to try out two, I have to order two by mail, whereas I can order one Martin and take it a few miles south to do a comparison against another identical model. If only I lived in London.....

Your description of it being a monster guitar is swaying me in the direction of the Gibson option though.

Does your AJ sound as good as Randy Scrugg's AJ on these two Johnny Cash recordings?

Classic Gibson tone:)

Thanks for your reply Lars.

Very informative! And I liked the cool description of your J-45 TV's tone.

The 1953 J-45 probably has the most beautiful tone of all my guitars. It's not a powerhouse brash sort of J-45, but it is very clear and equal across each string, and as a lovely bass thump accompanying all the clarity. The notes seem to swell as they sustain and similar to yours it gives it a very unique character.

It sounds lovely for strumming and just like the classic Americana sound I love. I sometimes play chords and just lift the guitar up to my ear to enjoy listening to the swell ;)

The America's Guitar is by far and away the best Rosewood guitar I've ever owned. Again like the J-45 it has a lovely swell sustain effect, but it's much thicker toned than the J-45. I remember a friend came over with his Clarence White D-28 which I'd always admired, and the difference between them was incredible. The AG had a far darker and fuller tone (the CW sounded very Mid Range toned in comparison - possibly more to do with the enlarged soundhole - although I had previously thought this was one of the fullest toned guitars I'd heard) I definitely agree that the Madagascar seems to add clarity, and that's why I think I love the AG so much. It has a thick bassy dreadnought sound, but with an added crisp clarity on top, which stops it getting muddy.

I'm still trying to work out whether I should go for the Advance Jumbo, or another Martin (I played a fantastic HD-28V custom recently - unfortunately I didn't have my AG with me to compare).

I keep thinking I should go for the AJ, but it's the more complicated option as in order to try out two, I have to order two by mail, whereas I can order one Martin and take it a few miles south to do a comparison against another identical model. If only I lived in London.....

Your description of it being a monster guitar is swaying me in the direction of the Gibson option though.

Does your AJ sound as good as Randy Scrugg's AJ on these two Johnny Cash recordings?

I almost craped in my pants . Randy's guitar sounds unreal !!!! and Mr.Cash's voice is just like a sword , his voice was as great there as it ever was . Old or young Johnny Cash was the man !!!!!!!!!!!!! LEGEND !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This stuff absolutely makes my hair stand on end. That tone is pure slope-shoulder Gibson. And Johnny Cash was an American treasure.

It's funny how each J-slope has an individual voice, but the family resemblance is almost always there. Sort of like going to one of those big southern family reunions where you don't recognize a third of the people there, but you can tell you're related just by looking at them.

I'm a mediocre player at best, and my AJ definitely does not sound as good as the one in the Cash recordings when I play it. However, I'm pretty sure Randy Scrugg wouldn't be dissappointed.

If I had a Martin America's Guitar already, I would pass on the HD-28V and go for an AJ. Variety is the spice of life. The America's Guitar and the HD-28V should be very similar, at least on paper...

Lars

By the way, I'm a big Cash fan, and I have listened to the Unearthed CDs a lot. I had no idea that was an AJ. Cool!

The 1953 J-45 probably has the most beautiful tone of all my guitars.

Hey Jcooper and welcome aBoard – You joined 3 days ago and your knowledge is already needed. I know I bend the thread, but maybe you can help. I have a J-45 here which I can't figure out. FON # says Y6XXX (1953), but other components contradicts this. The guitar refuses to give any easy answers and I will return to the instrument in an isolated thread. 2 questions :

How tall are your braces – both back and top ?

Are the top-braces scalloped ? – should be for a '53, mine aren't !?!

What kind of bridge does it have and is it original ??

Could you share a picture or 3 ?

I recently purchased this Advanced Jumbo Adi/Madi here in NC at Sound Pure: http://www.soundpure.com/p/gibson-aj-custom-shop-luthiers-choice-acoustic-guitar-mint/3031

It was one of six prototypes made by Ren Ferguson, with a some mother of pearl bling added around the sides. The sound is spectacular, unique, clear, and balanced... I can't say enough good things about this guitar.

My advice is to jump on the 20th Anniversary guitar for $3,800 from LA Guitar Sales. You'll be hard pressed to find a Martin, Collings, Huss & Dalton, etc. with Adi/Madi with the tone of the Gibson AJ and for that price.

Peace

Archived