Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar sound obsession du jour of the week...

rct

I have been stuck on Pink Floyd Echoes, I dunno what it is with that song but it just does me in I could probably listen to it on a continuous loop and never get sick of it. I blame it on the fact that I saw a laser light show on Saturday night to Dark Side of the Moon, going back this Saturday for The Wall. Heck I even watched Live in Pompeii for the billionth time on Monday. I like the whole song but the part at about 7mins in (if you have the full 25min song) and runs to the 11 minute mark, then we start up with another section at 17mins in that runs to about 19 mins in when the lyrics start again that just tickle my ear drums, but like I said the entire song is an audible journey best enjoyed through a decent pair of stereo headphones to get the full effect of the panning tricks used.

Been inhaling a lot of newer, nineties influenced bands like Yu©k and Maze. So much good fuzz and dirty guitars on those albums. The sound that has me doing cartwheels and that inspired me to jump at that SG Classic is Who's Next era Who. I downloaded the Young Vic tracks and cannot get enough of Townshend's guitar playing and sound. It's sort of like "here is the bar, see if you can reach it, peon."

My mom saw Dark Side, Spectrum in Philly. I was never a big fan of The Floyd, but I do have some on my iPod that I like.

rct

I like the old old stuff from when they were right whacked out on drugs, Careful with that Axe Eugene, Set the Controls, Saucer Full of Secrets ect. Meddle, DSM and Wish you were here only contained few songs that I liked, Animals I enjoyed in full same with The Wall and then the love was gone. I REALLY didnt like them after Waters left.

For me it's Webb Wilder's Human Cannonball from Hybrid Vigor.

I love that he say's ."No Stratocasters were used in the making of this record" in the liner notes. Too funny. [tongue]

41GJ7WANXCL_AA115_.jpg

Been inhaling a lot of newer, nineties influenced bands like Yu©k and Maze. So much good fuzz and dirty guitars on those albums. The sound that has me doing cartwheels and that inspired me to jump at that SG Classic is Who's Next era Who. I downloaded the Young Vic tracks and cannot get enough of Townshend's guitar playing and sound. It's sort of like "here is the bar, see if you can reach it, peon."

Speaking of Pete,

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/SG/Gibson-USA/50th-Anniversary-Pete-Townshend-SG.aspx

2 tones that I've been really digging lately are Buddy Guy's tone on the song Long Way From Home from the cd of the Stevie Ray Vaughn Tribute Concert which included performances by Clapton, BB King, Robert Cray, Jimmie Vaughn and Bonnie Raitt; and BB King's tone on the song How Blue Can You Get from Live At Cook County Jail.

Both songs feature a guitar solo where they take one long sustaining note. In Buddy's case, he turns up his volume after striking a bent note and it just rings out on the verge of feedback. In BB's solo from what I can tell he's already got some slight overdrive going on and lets a bend ring out for what feels like forever; and it also just sits in that space somewhere between feedback and infinate sustain.

I get goosebumps every time I hear these solos during the long sustaining notes and I think their tones have a lot to do with it.

It almost makes me want to go out and get a Buddy Guy signature strat and a Lucille model - although, I think with some tweaking I might be able to get close to BB's tone by using my Gretsch.

The non-guitar sound I like this week is my opponents' attorney's coffee cup smashing against the wall when he was

notified of two Bar complaints against him.....The second non-guitar sound I like of the week is reading in a statement

that my opponent is whining about how much money they've spent in attorney fees fighting me.............

The guitar sound I've been listening to this week is the Who's Quadrophenia, LIVE.........

Archived