Gibson Brands Forums

digital vs analog

chris.

axe fx or any amp it models? what would you choose and i would say hmm 2000 dollars that will do everything i could ever want or a small fortune in different amps cabinets and efftects? i say digital is close enough for me yeah maybe the trained ear can tell the difference in a test demo one played right after the other but can the crowd who only hears you and at that only you mixed in with the rest of the band?

Why not both?

Get yourself a nice tube amp and a quality Line 6 POD and your good to do either, the floor unit PODs can be hooked directly into a PA system without the need for a amp at all and the models that Line 6 has are getting better day after day. I had a Fender Mustang III which was a nice little modeler, I just a Line 6 POD XT Live two step up further into the modeling world and they sounded even better but the love just wasnt there for me so sold it all and picked up a Marshall Haze 15 head/cab and the love has been there since something about the gain of 12AX7s and the honk of the 6V6s makes me gooey.

Actually I think there's a bit of a problem here in that Chris probably has the right idea on digital vs. analog, tube vs. ss.

The problem with some tube amps, besides questions of reliability, is that they don't necessarily work well with various effects, and/or have to be running far louder that you want in order to hit a "sweet spot" of distortion.

So... unless you have an amp collection, I'm not sure you're ever gonna be entirely happy with the results from any given amp. I have two and wish I had a couple more. I have a small PA and wish I had a bigger one if it was light enough to schlep for a one-man show.

That leaves a lower-end tube/ss amp as a strong contender if you also have a good PA that you're either miking the amp to, or running a direct output from the amp to the PA.

By lower end, btw, I mean something roughly Fender DR, Twin or equivalent.

When I played rock in relatively big venues, the problem was that we just didn't have the PA quality that came later. So we put the medium power tube amps behind us and let 'em scream. Heaven knows what folks 50 yards back really were hearing us sound like. I do know that it wasn't what we thought we sounded like even with a guy running back to check, then running to the stage to do adjustments.

So to me in a bigger venue, the PA just has to be considered the major element of a band's sound and that a large guitar amp may almost be counterproductive, especially since, as I said, some tube amps don't necessarily work all that well at least with some stomp boxes.

That leaves us with a set of choices involving smaller amps and checking how they function with whatever stomp box types you consider important.

In ways it was a lot easier in the old days when it was all tubes. You bought the loudest @#$@#$ you could afford, ran vocals through the PA, and realized that in the back of a big venue nobody was going to hear much other than a loud buzz.

Nowadays the PA setup actually can better split and direct a band in various sized and shaped venues so the band sounds more like what it thinks it sounds like in a live performance.

Recording, of course, is a whole 'nother game.

Any decision is a compromise, though. The "best" amp in the world for screaming at X decibels clean but overdriven may also be horrid at handling either lower volumes or with stomp boxes.

Ideally you'll do a lot of looking before you blow your budget.

m

Why not both?

Get yourself a nice tube amp and a quality Line 6 POD and your good to do either,

I already run a POD into a tube amp so I had to pick something else to play along. :-k

"The problem with some tube amps, besides questions of reliability, is that they don't necessarily work well with various effects, and/or have to be running far louder that you want in order to hit a "sweet spot" of distortion."

That is the problem I have always seen. I have 4 tube amps right now. Two 5 watts, a 15 watt and a 30 watt. All of them have one good sound they can make but you really have to crank them up to get there. With the 30 watt that's just not feasible most of the time.

I also use Egnator all tube amps, love them! With that I run a Boss ME 50 that gives me very nice, chorus, delay, reverb, overdrive and distortion which can be mixed and matched to your hearts content... I just bought a Box of Rock too but When I incorporate it into my sound I suspect I will be using it more for the boost than the distortion/fuzz...

Archived