Gibson Brands Forums

Cables

Riptide

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To me this is the only thing that I have found that really makes sense as far as removing capacitance and having a transparent connection. There is a lot of good information on this page as well check out some of the links. I might even pull the trigger on a 20 footer just to see if It does what it claims and it has a 30 day return if not satisfied.

http://www.aqdi.com/zerocap.htm

I truly believe people hear a difference because they expect to hear a difference, especially if they've paid a premium price. The placebo effect is in play, for sure. In my 58 years, I've heard so many dubious claims, I can't begin to count them:

- One brand of gasoline vs another brand for better performance

- " " " spark plug " " " " "

- Vitamins and nutrition supplements make me feel better

- Drinking x glasses of water a day is better

Just a few examples; the list is endless. Everybody will ultimately believe what they want to believe, but I prefer to avoid being delusional.

-

Pretty soon, some company's gonna offer liquid nitrogen-cooled cables........

To be fair and honest, some poeple have better listening skills than others, and some can pick out differences that others can't. Then, determining WHAT the differences are, and what is a better product is a whole different matter.

The irony here is that a company called XLO won a prestigous award for it's work in using nitrogen as a dialectric (removing oxygen). And, if you have ever heard the nitrogen cables next to the same cable without, I think you would be amazed.

To me this is the only thing that I have found that really makes sense as far as removing capacitance and having a transparent connection. There is a lot of good information on this page as well check out some of the links. I might even pull the trigger on a 20 footer just to see if It does what it claims and it has a 30 day return if not satisfied.

http://www.aqdi.com/zerocap.htm

I checked the website-I could not read anything that explains what they are doing to "remove" capacitance, but it seems a little fishy to me.

Maybe they do, maybe they don't. But I don't know if I would consider their cables "transparent" or reference, based on reading what they use for connectors, and the fact I could not find anything relating to the construction of the wire or what they are doing with the battery. I think they probably color the sound more than preserve it.

There have been some cable companies that have used batteries in their interconnects, but from what I understand they are used as a soak in the ground to give stray signals a place to go keeping them from the signal path.

Reliability and durability are certainly important, especially if cables are gonna get heavy gigging use, but I refuse to believe that "better" cables produce better tone (aside from capacitance issues of really long cables, which most of us don't use). Wire is wire for low-amp/low-voltage guitar circuits. This high-end cable stuff is just more aftermarket hype that won't hold up to the blindfold test. But, whatever floats your boat.....

i dont know if its better but its different ive heard the differnce my self i use to think nothing about cables but it really does make a differnce have you done a test for yourself? or do you just think logically it doesnt make sense? cause like gold tip vs silver and whatever other metals they use different metals conduct electricity diverently so it makes sense to me that it would sound differently and like i said ive actually a b some myself but my advice is to just test it out for yourself you wont believe me unless you hear the differnce yourself

It cracks me up that that people don't think that a cable can make much difference in tone Yet they know that pickups will. So using different gauge and type of wire on a pickup will change the tone but changing the type of wire in the cable between the amp and the guitar makes no difference?.... :blink: I do agree that there comes a point of diminishing return where it becomes pretty negligible....

I use whatever's most reliable for the least money. The likelihood, as I see it, is that if I'm playing live it will be with a drummer, singer, other guitar/bass, maybe keys. If I'm recording it will likely be played back off a compressed computer file, through computer speakers, or both. So I do not relate to the mentality of tone chasers in this matter.

I have spent plenty on guitars and amps because I want reliability and playability. I get reliability from good quality but inexpensive cables so it is absurd to me to blow money on fancy cables.

Archived