Gibson Brands Forums

Cables

Riptide

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been using Livewire instrument cables and they suck... what cables to you suggest? I was think maybe Fulltone or George L's.

I use George L's pedal board cables and they are absolutely superb...so I would expect their instrument cables to be good too,,,,,

I get Yorkville sound wires from Long and McQuade (they are Yorkville Sound) they make them with Neutrik connectors and Yorkville Professional Cable sell for about $1 per foot. Cheap, effective and always available.

I swear by Road Hog cables for my guitars and amplifiers,they are very rugged and don't kink or tangle.I have been using the same ones for almost 20 years and they are still good as new.

I used to use George L Cables, but they were way too bright sounding. So I but Lava Blue Demon which is similar to Sommer Spirit Cables that Lava Sells and well I know use Lava Blue Demon.

Actually if the cable is making your tone sound bright it is probably a good cable in that it is doing what it should which is to be "Transparent". Cables that are not transparent ( or as you add length) tend to have a lot of capacitance and will remove high end like rolling back your tone pot. You can use this to your advantage if your actual tone from your guitar and pickups is a bit bright and brash.

On the other hand I see an advantage to having as much transparency between the pick up and the amp as possible. I would rather have control over tone filtering rather than depending on the cable for it.... It also allows you to find a pickup that is voiced better for your guitar.

Andy

Actually if the cable is making your tone sound bright it is probably a good cable in that it is doing what it should which is to be "Transparent". Cables that are not transparent ( or as you add length) tend to have a lot of capacitance and will remove high end like rolling back your tone pot. You can use this to your advantage if your actual tone from your guitar and pickups is a bit bright and brash.

On the other hand I see an advantage to having as much transparency between the pick up and the amp as possible. I would rather have control over tone filtering rather than depending on the cable for it.... It also allows you to find a pickup that is voiced better for your guitar.

Andy

Well it maybe good thing if you using 50 ft of cable, but I was only using 20ft .225 Plus I was running my effects through the effects loop rather between the guitar and amp single. Like the Blues Demons cause they are low in capacitance, but are still very powerful when sending your guitar single straight into the amp.

I've heard nothing but good things about Lava Cables. The general consensus seems to be that they're the best. I couldn't say for myself. All I know is they're freakin expensive..

I've heard that George L's (specifically patch cables [yeah I know you make them yourself]) sound good when they work but they don't last that long. Again that's just what I've read. But I've read a whole lot of that.

Personally I use decent mid-grade cables. I can tell when a cable is REALLY shitty, but honestly I can't tell the difference between a mid-grade cable and a really expensive cable. So I save some cash and go for the mid-grade ones. I know that's probably terrible or something but it works for me.

For patch cables I use live wire and hosa cables. They're pretty cheap but I haven't had any problems with them and they sound fine to me. Sounds good to me so I don't really care haha

Archived