Gibson Brands Forums

Ok, I need help (pedal building)

Silenced Fred

I got my FuzzRite kit, and I have the board populated, but I still need to put on the pots, jacks, switch, LED, and I think that's it. So here are my questions:

How do I know which pot is lin, and which is log? They are only marked A and B... so I am confused...

Also, for wiring up the pots, do I just put the wire through the little loops and solder it on?

I think that's it for now, hopefully dem00n or dub can chime in on this

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also, for wiring up the pots, do I just put the wire through the little loops and solder it on?

i make little "hooks" with the wire, and hook them through before soldering. a physical connection tends to be stronger than just relying on the solder to hold things together.

Yeah I made little hooks, just seemed logical lol

So I get to wiring in the in and out jacks, and guess what? They only gave me one with a tip sleeve connection, the other is just tip. Sum*****

Now I gotta go to Radioshack tomorrow morning to get one, but they only sell em in two packs... You better believe that mammoth is getting an email from me as we speak!

Yeah I made little hooks, just seemed logical lol

So I get to wiring in the in and out jacks, and guess what? They only gave me one with a tip sleeve connection, the other is just tip. Sum*****

Now I gotta go to Radioshack tomorrow morning to get one, but they only sell em in two packs... You better believe that mammoth is getting an email from me as we speak!

Dude your supposed to have one stereo jack with three ring and one mono jack with two rings. That way when you unplug the pedal it doesn't drain the battery. As for the footswitch there are lots of ways to wire it. I prefer the Beavis way.My link

Dude your supposed to have one stereo jack with three ring and one mono jack with two rings. That way when you unplug the pedal it doesn't drain the battery. As for the footswitch there are lots of ways to wire it. I prefer the Beavis way.My link

You sir, are my hero.

I was mistaken on the jacks, thanks for the link man! [thumbup]

Lemme send you a beer via USPS

Dang Fuzz... Do we need to tell you how to install the screws too?.... [flapper] Just bustin' yer balls man... Post pics when your done!

Andy

I hate generic instructions. I'm an idiot, and I want it to be spelled out for me

Lefty loosey right? [biggrin]

As soon as I am done, pictures will be up, but no gutshots. There are wires ******* everywhere

I hate generic instructions. I'm an idiot, and I want it to be spelled out for me

As soon as I am done, pictures will be up, but no gutshots. There are wires ******* everywhere

Instructions! [scared] Your man card has just been revoked... Yoink! [biggrin]

I feel you Fuzzes. A lot of times instructions ASSUME we know basics and fail to include some things that are common knowledge.

Right now though, you are learning a lot with every stumbling block. This is stuff you need to know, mainly because building pedals is your destiny. With your experience and passion for effects and FUZZ, combined with your taste for not using too much effects for effects sake, YOU should be great at it with knowledge and practice.

Instructions! [scared] Your man card has just been revoked... Yoink! [biggrin]

I'm gonna throw you a bunch of capacitors, resistors and wires and see how you do

A real man knows when to ask for help. I'm pretty sure that was on Steve's lists...

Off to Radioshack, they didn't give me enough wires [crying]

Cool, I hope it turns out well,

p.s. Dem00n, I've been working on covering pedal enclosures in fabric, I've got one drying right now, I'm testing various bonding agents and what I should do to make it as durable as possible.

Cool, I hope it turns out well,

p.s. Dem00n, I've been working on covering pedal enclosures in fabric, I've got one drying right now, I'm testing various bonding agents and what I should do to make it as durable as possible.

You have to be exact with that stuff huh?

You have to be exact with that stuff huh?

Yeah, also I want the seam at the corners to look nice and for the fabric to actually stay on, so the inside will have to be painted to provide a better surface to bond to. I'll probably have to lightly superglue the seams, decoupage it, and then add a light layer of poly (or nitro if you want better tone)

Thank GOD I found my left handed scissors. [biggrin]

Yeah, also I want the seam at the corners to look nice and for the fabric to actually stay on, so the inside will have to be painted to provide a better surface to bond to. I'll probably have to lightly superglue the seams, decoupage it, and then add a light layer of poly (or nitro if you want better tone)

Thank GOD I found my left handed scissors. [biggrin]

Well i doubt Nitro or Poly applies for stomp boxes. [lol]

A man with a soldering iron is not a real man until he blows something up.

Fried electrical components is a rite of passage.

I've burned myself pretty bad already. Had some hot solder fall onto my hand while I was putting pickups in my friend's guitar.

BTW, Kimba and dem00n- SHUT THE **** UP! THIS IS MY THREAD AND ONLY FUZZY FRED APPROVED MESSAGES WILL APPEAR!!! (jk, but I want a kimba covered pedal sometime...)

I've burned myself pretty bad already. Had some hot solder fall onto my hand while I was putting pickups in my friend's guitar.

BTW, Kimba and dem00n- SHUT THE **** UP! THIS IS MY THREAD AND ONLY FUZZY FRED APPROVED MESSAGES WILL APPEAR!!! (jk, but I want a kimba covered pedal sometime...)

dude, like you never derail threads.

gambit my emoticon won't work

but make sure you don't touch your hair with the iron, it smells terrible!

How the hell do I wire up the footswitch? The instructions suck

this is the link i refer to for my builds... 3PDT required, but you get true bypass and LED status:

this is on the awesome http://www.fuzzcentral.ssguitar.com site:

switchwiringnpn.gif

this works for all "negative ground" pedals... for PNP or positive ground, reverse polarity. :)

Don

I'm gonna throw you a bunch of capacitors, resistors and wires and see how you do

A real man knows when to ask for help. I'm pretty sure that was on Steve's lists...

Off to Radioshack, they didn't give me enough wires [crying]

Yes asking for help from another man is perfectly acceptable and falls within man code by-laws.

So long as there has been no transfer of knowledge of official Instructions or manual through another man providing answers.

Speculation, head scratching, tearing something else apart to look and or trial and error through burnt components, poking said components with some form of poking device, guessing, electrocution, and burnt fingers etc... can be applied alone or in conjunction with other men that have gained experience through this method....

If you have any further questions of these laws please let me know.

Regards,

Andy

Archived