Gibson Brands Forums

Ok, I need help (pedal building)

Silenced Fred

can I see the other side and the switch? Also where did you get the kit? Did all the components come with it? I see you have some polarized capacitors on there as well. Depending on how they are used in the circuit the little - sign on them should be going to ground as well.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The last 2 pedals I built both gave me a headache in wiring the switch and input jacks. As it turned out, I just didn't follow the wire diagram correctly and I double, triple, and quadruple checked everything. I was just misreading it for some stupid reason.

Now they both work fine. You can do this... just take your time. Trouble shooting is the hardest part of building IMO and that holds true for pedals and amps.

The last 2 pedals I built both gave me a headache in wiring the switch and input jacks. As it turned out, I just didn't follow the wire diagram correctly and I double, triple, and quadruple checked everything. I was just misreading it for some stupid reason.

Now they both work fine. You can do this... just take your time. Trouble shooting is the hardest part of building IMO and that holds true for pedals and amps.

+1 Listen to this guy. He knows whatsup

I followed the schematic for wiring the switch that Dub sent me, realized I switched wiring the tip and sleeve on the output. So I fixed it. "Aha, I am a genius" i said to myself as I plug it into an amp, "these four times I burned my fingers were worth it, it will finally work now", I said.

FUUUUUUUCK No I get no bypass signal. So I get the bypass signal working again, but no sound when I turn the knobs? FUUUUUUUCK if the knobs are in the 0 or 10 position, nothing goes through.

I am seriously about ready to commit sabbaku.

If you intentionally stab yourself with a soldering iron do you turn it on or just use it cold. Having it hot would be way more impressive for sure but it also would prevent bleeding by cauterizing the wound which could require you to stab yourself over and over?

Naw Fuzzy Fred - It doesn't sound like a good plan especially not over a pedal. Just start at the beginning and work your way through it just like your building it with a meter and you'll get it the first one you build is always the hardest.

I'm just guessing but your probably ready to perform Seppuku which is ritualized suicide in Japan. Sabaku is Japanese for desert so I guess you could be seriously ready to commit desert, but that's not really very dramatic in context.

I guess you could do desert with a soldering iron if you made Flan but in that case a small torch would be better than a soldering iron?

[biggrin][flapper][biggrin]

I'm just guessing but your probably ready to perform Seppuku which is ritualized suicide in Japan. Sabaku is Japanese for desert so I guess you could be seriously ready to commit desert, but that's not really very dramatic in context.

I guess you could do desert with a soldering iron if you made Flan but in that case a small torch would be better than a soldering iron?

[biggrin][flapper][biggrin]

I think you mean "dessert".

[wink]

I followed the schematic for wiring the switch that Dub sent me, realized I switched wiring the tip and sleeve on the output. So I fixed it. "Aha, I am a genius" i said to myself as I plug it into an amp, "these four times I burned my fingers were worth it, it will finally work now", I said.

FUUUUUUUCK No I get no bypass signal. So I get the bypass signal working again, but no sound when I turn the knobs? FUUUUUUUCK if the knobs are in the 0 or 10 position, nothing goes through.

dude.

seriously... post the schematics you're using and a picture of the bottom of the board and how you have it wired... to the switch Please! [biggrin]""'

It was a FuzzRite kit from Mammoth Electronics, with modifications. The board is different

Don't judge my soldering, there are probably little bits of my burned skin scattered throughout the pedal enclosure

2846b141.jpg

fdfb8de1.jpg

380ab043.jpg

9e40488d.jpg

Kill me now, I'm seriously considering starting all over. I know the wires are a mess, I think I'm going to take em all off and then start over...

Dude, did you like practice your soldering...?

We were all like that when we started but thats like day one soldering bad. [lol]

A lot of it was the conflicting instructions I had gotten from the instructions and people so I had to redo a few of them. I need a new iron too with a better tip. This is the 10 dollar special from Radioshack

A lot of it was the conflicting instructions I had gotten from the instructions and people so I had to redo a few of them. I need a new iron too with a better tip. This is the 10 dollar special from Radioshack

Even then, you can still make connections, whats the watts?

Holy **** dude. Take it easy with the solder. I think a lot of your soldering may have gone over the traces and made a connection where it's not supposed to.

Do you have a desoldering pump?

Nope. I think I'm gonna go get one tomorrow though...

definitely use less solder, try to use as little as possible while making a solid connection. also, you should try to keep wires and component leads straight up off the boardwhen connecting, then trim the excess wires back with angled wire cutters. this will minimize undesired electrical connections.

Alright everybody give fuzz a break. Sheesh! We need to support and help, not criticize or make fun of someones abilities. [thumbdn] I'd put my soldering skills against the lot of ya and I wouldn't make fun of someone trying to do something they haven't done before or had much experience.

Archived