Gibson Brands Forums

New Gibson Acoustic Enthusiast

wineredrich

I've been playing about 35 years and as far as electric guitars go...wouldn't ever want any that wasn't a Gibson. Currently own 2 Gibson LPs and one Epi LP. I've played Vs and SGs...BUT...I never, until now, transfered that love over to acoustics. I have 2 great Martins..but am very attracted to Gibson esp the J45 and the "songwriters". I'm a lefty and would need to special order. Which online dealers do you guys use? Does anyone stock lefties? What are the "street" prices on some of these models? I know all these answers for Martin but could use your help for Gibson. Thanks. Rich

Dealers that provide photos of the actual guitar for sale (not catalog stock photos). These dealers include -

wildwoodguitars.com, sweetwater.com, themusiczoo.com, and fullersguitar.com

Fullers is a great dealer, but aren't allowed to advertise their Gibson guitars online, but they will work with you by phone/email for stock or custom orders.

Regarding prices - What model J-45 Standard, True Vintage, Custom, Signature ?

What model Songwriter - Standard, Standard Cutaway, Deluxe, Custom ?

A lot of decisions there, ranging about $2300 to $3200

Needing a Lefty does make it a bit harder but have you considered looking for a used guitar? With the market in the crapper there are some good deals to be had. Just yesterday I just got offered a mid-1960s J-50 (the natural top version of the J-45) in really nice condition at a price I would have jumped all over if I had been wanting to buy guitar.

thanks for the replies so far. Good leads on dealerships. Sorry to be so vague on the models. Probably songwriter deluxe and J45 Standard. I notice 2 areas where Gibsons differ from Martins. Martin is a little more forthcoming with internet advertising and Martin does not charge extra to make any of its models lefty. I think Gibson does still have an upcharge. Southpaw has a great website and some sweet guitars but I'm not sure about the prices...and they don't advertise new Gibsons. And finally, yes, I would definitely consider used in good condition no matter how old or new. thanks again.

...BUT...I never, until now, transfered that love over to acoustics. I have 2 great Martins..but am very attracted to Gibson esp the J45 and the "songwriters".

I'm a bit in your shoes. Have 2 Martins and was a D-35 player for many years. Only 15 months ago I turned/returned to acoustic Gibsons and it has been/is a highly exiting pleasure. Being close to your situation, I'd like to know what turned you on about these guitars, how it happened and what you hear/feel as the big difference to Marts. Would you have time to report. . .

What BK said, and I think Elderly also has a good selection of Gibsons, used ones in particular. They seem to have an excellent reputation here and on the AGF.

Dealers that provide photos of the actual guitar for sale (not catalog stock photos). These dealers include -

wildwoodguitars.com, sweetwater.com, themusiczoo.com, and fullersguitar.com

Fullers is a great dealer, but aren't allowed to advertise their Gibson guitars online, but they will work with you by phone/email for stock or custom orders.

Regarding prices - What model J-45 Standard, True Vintage, Custom, Signature ?

What model Songwriter - Standard, Standard Cutaway, Deluxe, Custom ?

A lot of decisions there, ranging about $2300 to $3200

thanks for the replies so far. Good leads on dealerships. Sorry to be so vague on the models. Probably songwriter deluxe and J45 Standard. I notice 2 areas where Gibsons differ from Martins. Martin is a little more forthcoming with internet advertising and Martin does not charge extra to make any of its models lefty. I think Gibson does still have an upcharge. Southpaw has a great website and some sweet guitars but I'm not sure about the prices...and they don't advertise new Gibsons. And finally, yes, I would definitely consider used in good condition no matter how old or new. thanks again.

Fuller's stock great lefties . If I remember correctly they have a lefty songwriter 6 asn 12 string in lefty version.

I'll try and get back to you with the info :) .

Archived