Gibson Brands Forums

Maxon Pedals

kaleb

Anybody have experience with them? Cause' I am thinking of getting an OD-9 Overdrive and a CS-550 Stereo Chorus for my new pedalboard project. I like the OD-9 because it has the original TS circuit and the JRC4558 chip and you don't lose any low end. Plus, I like Tube Screamers for a lead boost because I plug into the low gain input on my amp and only keep the gain on 4 ( its a not a super-gainer, but if you crank the gain you can get Boogie Mark III type tones. With a different speaker---it has an Eminence Tonespotter--you could probably get Metallica-esqe tones. With the low-gain input and the gain on 4 and the master on 5 you get more of an AC/DC power tube type crunch----which I like. You can still hear the notes. Its not buried in gobs of preamp gain ). Im all over the CS-550 because it is one of the greatest chorus tones I have heard ( I thought the GNI Analog Stereo Dual Chorus was good, then I heard the PGS demo of the Maxon ), and it can go SUPER fast, and I mean FAST! And it has a delay time control for even more over-the-topness, while still being in control ( unlike a flanger ), kinda like my old Dod FX65 from the later 80s. I think I will be making a good decision with these.

Anybody have experience with them? Cause' I am thinking of getting an OD-9 Overdrive and a CS-550 Stereo Chorus for my new pedalboard project. I like the OD-9 because it has the original TS circuit and the JRC4558 chip and you don't lose any low end. Plus, I like Tube Screamers for a lead boost because I plug into the low gain input on my amp and only keep the gain on 4 ( its a not a super-gainer, but if you crank the gain you can get Boogie Mark III type tones. With a different speaker---it has an Eminence Tonespotter--you could probably get Metallica-esqe tones. With the low-gain input and the gain on 4 and the master on 5 you get more of an AC/DC power tube type crunch----which I like. You can still hear the notes. Its not buried in gobs of preamp gain ). Im all over the CS-550 because it is one of the greatest chorus tones I have heard ( I thought the GNI Analog Stereo Dual Chorus was good, then I heard the PGS demo of the Maxon ), and it can go SUPER fast, and I mean FAST! And it has a delay time control for even more over-the-topness, while still being in control ( unlike a flanger ), kinda like my old Dod FX65 from the later 80s. I think I will be making a good decision with these.

Well Maxon made all the cool old Ibanez effects and I have heard their Tube Screamer version and it sounded great. [thumbup]

Well Maxon made all the cool old Ibanez effects and I have heard their Tube Screamer version and it sounded great. [thumbup]

This.

I have been using a Maxon OD808 for a little over ten years now and I would not trade it for any other overdrive. It is my favorite of the Tube Screamer family. I also love their AD9 family of delays. Some of the sweetest analog delay out there. Would have gone with one over the Carbon Copy, but the CC has modulation and the Maxons don't. Lastly, if you cannot get a Phase90, the Maxon Phase Tone is the next best thing.

The CS-550 sounds really good. The Dr Scientist Cosmichorus sounds a little better to me and is a lot more versatile but I don't think you could go wrong with the CS-550 (or OD-9).

Maxon pedals are cool. Like evol, I really dig their AD series but the lack of modulation is a major turn off.

An OD-9 is coming my way for sure! Dunno bout' the CS-550 tho, Im starting to get tired of chorus. Sounds too "80s pretty-boy band" if ya know what I mean. I was in Cour d Alene, Idaho for a three day vacation a couple weeks ago. On the way home the XM radio was stuck on Classic Rewind and all I heard was pristine cleans drowned in tons of chorale matter ( everything from analog CE-1s to digital rackmounts ). I felt like vomiting. Hooked up the rig today and played my Dod Chorus ( all analog and US made! ). Nailed the Andy Summers/Alex Lifeson tone, as well as Kurt Cobain watery noise and GnR/Metallica cleans, and even a Zakk Wylde type crunch ( he has chorus on ALL THE TIME! ). Sounded good, but, well it was, how you say, "chorusy". Glassy and brite, like Eric Johnson's clean tones. Then I took it out and threw the Airplane Flanger in and fell into modulation bliss! Like the A/DA flanger it has a nice, swirly chorus effect, but it ain't "choursy". Its watery and ambient, but not too pristine and glassy. Pretty happy with the AF-2 now. Flangers can sound useful if you use em' on the right song. Oh, and Im also thinking of getting a TC Electronic Nova Delay. I like that spacy Gilmouresqe delay. Seems to do the job well. I think TC and Eventide have the best digital delays. Boss/Roland and DigiCrap sucks. I'll take a Nova over a DD-20 anyday! Also, you guys should check out Barber pedals. I like their Direct Drive. Itd be the perfect compliment to the Maxon, in my opinion.

An OD-9 is coming my way for sure! Dunno bout' the CS-550 tho, Im starting to get tired of chorus. Sounds too "80s pretty-boy band" if ya know what I mean. I was in Cour d Alene, Idaho for a three day vacation a couple weeks ago. On the way home the XM radio was stuck on Classic Rewind and all I heard was pristine cleans drowned in tons of chorale matter ( everything from analog CE-1s to digital rackmounts ). I felt like vomiting. Hooked up the rig today and played my Dod Chorus ( all analog and US made! ). Nailed the Andy Summers/Alex Lifeson tone, as well as Kurt Cobain watery noise and GnR/Metallica cleans, and even a Zakk Wylde type crunch ( he has chorus on ALL THE TIME! ). Sounded good, but, well it was, how you say, "chorusy". Glassy and brite, like Eric Johnson's clean tones. Then I took it out and threw the Airplane Flanger in and fell into modulation bliss! Like the A/DA flanger it has a nice, swirly chorus effect, but it ain't "choursy". Its watery and ambient, but not too pristine and glassy. Pretty happy with the AF-2 now. Flangers can sound useful if you use em' on the right song. Oh, and Im also thinking of getting a TC Electronic Nova Delay. I like that spacy Gilmouresqe delay. Seems to do the job well. I think TC and Eventide have the best digital delays. Boss/Roland and DigiCrap sucks. I'll take a Nova over a DD-20 anyday! Also, you guys should check out Barber pedals. I like their Direct Drive. Itd be the perfect compliment to the Maxon, in my opinion.

lol man you're all over the place.

Boss' digital delays don't suck. They're pretty good. TC is great but not OMG AMAZING, Eventide is pretty rad.. There are definately better digital delays though. Especially for the spacey Gilmour sound. Just depends on your budget I guess.

lol man you're all over the place.

Boss' digital delays don't suck. They're pretty good. TC is great but not OMG AMAZING, Eventide is pretty rad.. There are definately better digital delays though. Especially for the spacey Gilmour sound. Just depends on your budget I guess.

I KNOW!!!!!! Funny enough I stuck the chorus back in today! I was using the AF as a chorus so I figured why use a flanger as a chorus when ya can use a chorus. As for digital delays I was just kidding about Boss ( not so for DigiCrap. They lie about everything. I know the Rp1000 and the GSP1101 arent made in usa. Chinese made pieces of tone-sucking crap. Rocktron and TC kick them to the curb ). Everybody has a Boss delay, tuner, or chorus. I was listening to demos and I do like the TC delay. The TimeFactor is better, but I cant justify paying $400 for a delay. Now, Im off on a delay hunt. If GNI made a delay im sure it would be rad. I decided on their Analog Stereo Dual Chorus over the Maxon cause' its more subtle ( starting to like more subtle sounds ) and I can switch between my Alex Lifeson-esqe chorus and a fast Leslie tone on the fly. I gotta stop being a Boss hater. Said that Boss was cheesy right to my father's face ( he swears by his modded SD-1 ). I do want a Polytune over my TU-3 though. Its not that the Boss isnt accurate, its that its a pain in the *** getting there. Everybody loves the TC tuner, so I'll give one a spin. I also feel that the Nova would probably work better in a fx loop, but I want to run everything in front. Maybe I should try a Carbon Copy?

I am a really big delay fan haha. Aside from fuzz, it's my favorite effect. There are so many cool delays out there..

What's your budget for a delay?

If you can drop like $250-$300, I really can't recommend the Strymon El Capistan enough. It's the best sounding, spaciest delay I've ever used. It is straight up mind blowing. It will deliver the Dark Side type delay sounds in spades (and a lot more).

It's so good man.. It's one of those pedals that is totally inspiring because it's so good and there really aren't any bad sounds in it.

I could just go on and on about how awesome it is, but I don't know what good that would do so I'll just post a link and shut up.

Check it out http://www.strymon.net/products/elcapistan/

I have a Ibanez TS-9 by Maxon right now. It's a great pedal but not as good as the TS-9DX that I used to have. The CP9 compressor is pretty fantastic too. I'm not a fan of analog delays at all. Best delay pedal I have had is the Line 6 Echo Park.

Archived