Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone LP Standard

Not-Too-Late

Now that I'm back in the swing of things, I am saving up for a second guitar to compliment the one I just purchased for my wife. I, unfortunately, don't have a lot of bread to throw around was thinking about the Epi LP Standard (cherry sunburst). Do you think it will be around for awhile? I won't be able to purchase it for a few months down the road. What is your impression of this model? I really like the looks of it. It seems like a great deal for the money. I would like to be able to go a bit higher for one of the Ultra models, but it would be quite some time before I will be able to afford one. $400 is not a lot to pay for a decent guitar, but the economy is really doing a number on my bank account. What do you guys think of my choice? Thanks

I think it's an excellent choice. I also can tell you not to worry about availability. They have been around for a while, and will be for some time.

If you can, try out a G400, and a Dot. Both are in the same price range and also great guitars.

Good luck! [biggrin]

If you want bang for buck, I have to recommend the Nighthawk Custom Reissue. In terms of features it blows the LP Standard out of the water for similar money. Of course it's a bit different in shape, so it might not be so appealing. Or it might be more so.. <_<

If you're worried about getting a 'lower-end' model, there's not much reason for concern - I think basically every Les Paul with a set neck (except for the Prophecy, Tribute and some Slash models) is the same essential guitar as the Standard - just with more or less bling (and in the case of the Ultras, more tech.) It's a solid guitar. [thumbup]

If you want bang for buck, I have to recommend the Nighthawk Custom Reissue. In terms of features it blows the LP Standard out of the water for similar money. Of course it's a bit different in shape, so it might not be so appealing. Or it might be more so.. <_<

While I agree the NightHawk is a very good value, it also has a longer scale, and that can be significant. In fact, that's the main reason I would never own one.

I am saving up for a second guitar to compliment the one I just purchased for my wife. I, unfortunately, don't have a lot of bread to throw around was thinking about the Epi LP Standard (cherry sunburst)

Are you considering the Flame Top? Although it will be around for some time to come (I'm guessing) the Plain Top has been...at least for now....discontinued!

http://www.epiphone.com/default.asp?ProductID=266&CollectionID=6

Sorry for the news....Aside from that, I love my Standard Flame Top.

(Same guitar just a different finish)

Willy

Are you considering the Flame Top? Although it will be around for some time to come (I'm guessing) the Plain Top has been...at least for now....discontinued!

Willy

That sucks! I guess that's why they're all on sale? http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/epiphone-les-paul-standard-plain-top-electric-guitar

The Honeyburst plain top looks really nice in person.

Sorry for the news....Aside from that, I love my Standard Flame Top.

(Same guitar just a different finish)

Willy

I didn't notice that it said discontinued. Just my luck. I wonder if I can still order it from my local guitar store and have them put it on layaway? I would hate to miss out on it. It does seem like a great deal. I like the cherry sunburst model.

I didn't notice that it said discontinued. Just my luck. I wonder if I can still order it from my local guitar store and have them put it on layaway? I would hate to miss out on it. It does seem like a great deal. I like the cherry sunburst model.

They will still have models in stores for a while to sell. Here it is at Sweetwater ---> http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ENSHSCH/ The also have them at Musician's Friend. And most places have payment plans.

I would hate to miss out on it. It does seem like a great deal. I like the cherry sunburst model.

They will still have models in stores for a while to sell. Here it is at Sweetwater ---> http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ENSHSCH/ The also have them at Musician's Friend. And most places have payment plans.

+1 and remember....

They have been making Les Paul Guitars since the middle of the last century.

I'm sure when you are ready to purchase one that you will be able to find the one for you.

Just Remember!!!!

If you are buying it from a legit dealer, no problem.

If a private purchase (great for saving money) always come here and play "Show and Tell: before you buy.

If you know all the signs, great. If not, it can be disappointing to come here and ask:

Did I buy a fake?

That aside, a mini- review. I have been playing Les Paul guitars since the late 60's. Gibson and, then later, Epiphone.

Great guitars if you find the one you like. They all have similar traits.

Set them up properly and they usually play quite well.

If you get a good build and you are not having any problems they are good to go. (Epiphone and Gibson)

If you decide to tweak them after a time, Happy YOU!!!.....LP parts are easily accessible and readily available at

reasonable cost.

Great Guitars IMHO.

Willy

+1 and remember....

They have been making Les Paul Guitars since the middle of the last century.

I'm sure when you are ready to purchase one that you will be able to find the one for you.

Just Remember!!!!

If you are buying it from a legit dealer, no problem.

If a private purchase (great for saving money) always come here and play "Show and Tell: before you buy.

If you know all the signs, great. If not, it can be disappointing to come here and ask:

Did I buy a fake?

That aside, a mini- review. I have been playing Les Paul guitars since the late 60's. Gibson and, then later, Epiphone.

Great guitars if you find the one you like. They all have similar traits.

Set them up properly and they usually play quite well.

If you get a good build and you are not having any problems they are good to go. (Epiphone and Gibson)

If you decide to tweak them after a time, Happy YOU!!!.....LP parts are easily accessible and readily available at

reasonable cost.

Great Guitars IMHO.

Willy

Awesome. Thanks for the advise. All of you guys are great. I'm sure glad I joined this forum. Cheers!!!!

You cant go past the Standard, they're excellent. And the cherry burst is a great colour choice ( I have 2 personally).

The next step up is the Standard Plain top and then the Standard Plus. But I see the Standard Plain Top has been discontinued so if you were considering one of these you might want to get in quick.

Archived