Gibson Brands Forums

Neck Width

struma6

I've heard folks talking about their neck width preferences. Some say they just don't feel comfortable with XX width and pass on guitars because of it.

I have necks I like but I've always adapted well to different widths, never really made me prefer one guitar or another. Of course, I play Mandolin as well so maybe that helps. My fingers are fairly thin so maybe that helps, too.

Do you have problems adapting to different widths? Just curious....

Over time I've taken a strong preferance to necks with 1 3/4 nut width compared to 1 11/16.

I even replaced the 1 11/16 nut width originally on my furch with 1 3/4, made a big difference.

I'm not so fussy about neck profiles though.

Hmm, I find I can adapt pretty well to different neck depths, shapes and widths, I like Gibson neck widths, and also Martins wider V necks like on the OMs.

The main thing I notice, and this is the main reason I prefer Gibson necks to anything else, is the room either side of the E strings. I have never been able to get on with Fender necks because of this, I always feel like the strings are about to fall off the fingerboard! ...but on Gibsons I dont get that feeling, its very comfortable and theres always room to bend and slide up and down without dropping of the side of the fingerboard. Its not just the binding either as my Flying V has a lovely wide neck with lots of room either side of the Es.

I know we are talking about acoustics here but those are just my general thoughts on neck. My new SJ has a perfect neck with that roomyness to it as well! [thumbup]

In my perfect world I'd have a slimmer neck, and I secretly (okay, not so secretly) fantasize about owning one of those late 60's J-50's with the skinny necks. The Epiphone has a 1 9/16 and I am quite fond of that one. Magic has a slimmer neck than Lily. That being said, I find I can adjust to the larger neck, given sufficient time to warm up. Barre chords are a bit tougher on the wider neck, as are weird little chords like D/F# where I have to cover it with my thumb. I obviously have smaller hands so would gravitate to a narrower neck. BUT, I'm okay with what I've got. I hope Anne chimes in here as I'm curious what she thinks about this topic.

Non-technical - for many years I played a wider spaced Dobro fingerstyle, then had to have a mahogany top Martin I fell for at a shop. I often had trouble with keeping chords clean on the Martin 1 & 11/16 neck, but I did not realise what the problem was until recently playing the Gibson 1.725 neck of my J45. If you look at a very simple 'C' chord, the 2nd string 1st fret 'C' when played, would damp the high 'E' string when playing fingerstyle on the Martin. On the Gibson neck, (and Dobro) the high 'E' rings free and clear. I have 4 different Gibson acoustics and they all ring clear on the high string.

I had a new nut made and installed on the Martin to try and help (4-5 years ago) but it didn't really help and the the high 'E' fretted out over the neck when bending notes too hard. Until i played the wider nut guitars I thought it was me, but if you fingerpick on a narrow nut and spaced 'strumming' guitar, you can have this problem. (I currently have the Martin 000 tuned to open G for slide - Mahogany + slide - who cares what width nut!)

That probably doesn't make any sense - can someone technical help me out here, please.

BluesKing777

Not a man famous for playing acoustic obviously but if any of you have the Hendrix 'Blues' album, this is the video of the actual session of the acoustic version of 'Here My Train A Comin'!

And look how effortlessly he glides all over that massive 12 string neck! I've no idea what guitar that is but I bet that nut is at least 2" wide. The string tension is lower because he's in C standard but still theres some serious strength in those arms, amazing! I guess if you've got the technique then any neck should be a breaze.... I certainly dont! 8-[

BTW, I love the way he fluffs it up at the start (he doesnt start playing proper until about 50sec in), I find it so endearing to hear him nervously ask if he can do it one more time because he was "scared to death" about being filmed! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lm-PCULOuc

My '69 J45 has a 1 11/16 and it plays just about right.

My new '64 J45 has a 1,5" nutwidth and it's just too small.. I mean I myself am around 6ft 5"

and my hands are.. well.. quite large too haha.

Id love to try a 1 3/4 sometime

Nice clip Digory !! B)

Archived