Gibson Brands Forums

Vintage Japanese Epiphone Info Needed

foamface

So, I have this 70s Epiphone, it is from Japan (still has original case with a Japanese sticker on it). Beyond that I know nothing, and I can't find any images of any Epiphones that look anything like it. Anybody have any knowledge about Epiphones that were only sold in Japan? Also, I am wondering what its value may be. Any general ideas about this matter would be appreciated.

post-35022-049268400 1312875736_thumb.jpg

So, I have this 70s Epiphone, it is from Japan (still has original case with a Japanese sticker on it). Beyond that I know nothing, and I can't find any images of any Epiphones that look anything like it. Anybody have any knowledge about Epiphones that were only sold in Japan? Also, I am wondering what its value may be. Any general ideas about this matter would be appreciated.

http://www.epiphonewiki.com/index.php?title=Main_Page try here

That's a new one on me. It looks like it rolled off the same production line as the Epi Scroll guitar, but with a neck-through and no scroll. Maybe it was a one-off prototype.

It's not in any of my reference books, but I'd say it's worth at least $700, maybe more to the right collector.

I'd like to see a better picture of the headstock and the control cavity.

Very cool and unusual guitar you have there FF.

[thumbup]

Cool, I have never seen something like that before. It looks a little bit like a genesis crossed with a Yamaha SG, I would like to see some more pictures.

It does look a lot like a Yamaha SG.

I wonder if RTH or Jerry may know something about this.

Looks great by the way.

I'm clueless on this one. I dont have any experience with oddball Japanese models...if this is even a genuine Epi. The headstock and neck-through are sort of a red flags. I would like to see some closeup shots though. Like the headstock and even the back of the guitar.

I wonder if that guitar is somehow related to the Vantage brand gutars that were being produced in Japan in 70's:

Vantage, Aria, Epiphone, Vox, Westone, Westbury etc, all shared various design traits, and were all built by Matsumoku during the 70`s and 80`s. Matsumoku`s higher end stuff was on a par with the best of Ibanez/Greco (Fugi-Gen).

Steve.

Thanks for the replies! Here are some more pics to help. I think the notion that it is a relative of the scroll has considerable wait only because that is the only thing I can find that has a beveled contour anything close to this one's. Japanese company Matsumoku was making epiphones in the 70s and I guess they were known for thru-body guitars. Still I can't explain the headstock. Also, you will notice in these pictures that the brown paper from the factory is still attached on the two pieces of whit plastic on the back, and around the switch on the front.

post-35022-042364100 1312903044_thumb.jpg

post-35022-003427300 1312903094_thumb.jpg

post-35022-006275700 1312903129_thumb.jpg

Everything about this guitar says Matsumoku, but nothing about it, other than the logo, says Epiphone. And again, like that strat that came through here a couple weeks ago, the closeups are blurry and provide little help in determining its authenticity.

A couple of things that are very non-epiphone:

-The TRC covering up the "inlay"

-The headstock (obviously)

-The headstock inlay

-The headstock logo looks sloppy ( no seperation between the "i" and the dot)

-1970's Epi with a exposed 5-ply neck-thru

-The rounded-corner block fret markers

-The LP-style switch on the upper horn (for the era)

This is either a mock-up or a "hoax" model, as Lefty Bill pointed out in that superstrat thread.

I am currently selling this if anyone is interested.

In that case, I need to revise my valuation to $175, but I'll do you a favor and give you $200 'cause you're a nice guy. :rolleyes:

Seriously, good luck with the sale, but if I were you I'd hang onto it....

• 1 month later...

I'm still not sure if this is a legit guitar, but if it is anything, its got to be a version of the Japanese Domestic Market Olympic. This is the closest Epiphone I could find. There are a lot of differences, but the only 1970's Epis with a German Carve are the Scrolls and the JDM Olympics. It is very similar, if not very different as well.

OlympicJDM.jpg

Man that guitar is a beauty, I agree with everyone else that you should keep it. You'll never get what you deserve for it and you'll always regret selling it.

I looked on Ebay for similar guitars and there is a Vantage that looks close to yours, but it has a BIN of $375;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vantage-Vintage-Matsumoku-Set-Neck-Electric-Guitar-1970s-1980s-great-condition-/270828443421?pt=Guitar&hash=item3f0ea2171d#ht_1567wt_1159

I tried to get the blue Skylark pictured above 2 months ago on Ebay and it went for $800, But it has the built-in pre-amp, coil splitting and all those sorts of goodies. The brown one in the middle of the pic has been selling for $400 to $600, depending on whether or not people bid it up?

I posted a couple of your pics over at MLP to see if any of those guys might know what it is.I'll keep you posted if they come up with anything?

Archived