Gibson Brands Forums

To those in the shadow of The Gherkin

TommyK

Guest farnsbarns

although the eastend slang for a gherkin is a "wally", wally, chips and savaloy [drool]

Isn't a wally a pickled gherkin. Not to be confused with a murkin, never eat a pickled murkin. [lol]

images.jpg

Last summer my wife and I overheard a French couple discussing (in French) The Swiss Re building; aka 'The Gherkin'. They referred to it by the less flattering title of 'The Suppository' and my wife (who is French) burst out laughing. Their embarrasment at being understood was palpable....

Don't skimp on the KY! Ay! Ay!

P.

Last summer my wife and I overheard a French couple discussing (in French) The Swiss Re building; aka 'The Gherkin'. They referred to it by the less flattering title of 'The Suppository' and my wife (who is French) burst out laughing. Their embarrasment at being understood was palpable....

P.

Since I have no idea what this topic is actually about, I'm not sure if i'm de-railing it or not :-k

But years ago when I worked for an airline, I was boarding a flight with an African American colleage. This very uppidy French Canadian couple came to board the flight and couldn't find their tickets. Well of course it was everyone else's fault but their own that they couldn't find them, and they were holding up the entire boarding process. The woman said something to her husband in French about the "stupid black American" employee. Well this "stupid black American" spoke fluent French. After they finally located their tickets buried in her purse, he thanked them and explained their seating on the aircraft to them in perfect french! [blush] They just got a blank look on their faces and went down the jetway with their tails between their legs [cool]

Archived