Gibson Brands Forums

Photographers? Artists?

ShredAstaire

The definition is not up for debate here! :)

I've recently got into photography...i just do it for fun but i think i am improving my shots. I've uploaded a few of my favs to DeviantArt.com.

http://shredastaire.deviantart.com/

Great site to share your art and to browse other people's stuff. It's not all good (including mine!) but its cool to check out.

Anyone else have an account there? Or somewhere else to show off your art? Let's see your non-musical art!

I guess you could say Bob's pretty much a photographer of the Ansel Adams school. I met him at the centennial of Devils Tower National Monument that definitely is a target-rich environment for photography.

Another thing, too, Shred...

I'm convinced some of us "see" in color when it comes to composition, others "see" shades of light intensity - as in "black and white." Although I worked testing inks and paper for color printing many years ago, I've come to realize that my own eye does tend to be more "black and white" regardless that I have a good "eye" for color. I dunno if that makes sense or not. But when I'm taking more artsy stuff, I tend toward the light/shadow more than the contrast among colors. Not always, but...

m

Like your work Shred.

I must confess to a major liking of b&w photography. My personal favourites are Brassai (outstanding street photography - must better than Henri Cartier Bresson, IMO), but for top, top landscape work, John Sexton blows everyone away for my money.

I'm fortunate to have 2 of his prints on my lounge walls.

www.johnsexton.com

Whoops! Looks like i did miss that thread somehow...sorry!

Duane, go ahead and merge if you want! :)

Thanks for checking my photos out by the way!

P.S. I like B&W photography too, but some photos scream for color to me...i'm not an all or nothing kinda guy...i like a mix of B&W and Color...

Oh I agree on the color Shred I mostly got into black and white because of the darkroom and the ability to manipulate the print in the development process with burning and dodging and other changes in technique and development. Color has a huge impact it was just really boring to develop color prints because it all had to be done in closed tanks and once the paper was exposed you had no options rather than to print again.

Now in the digital world there's a lot more flexibility and the object can be the driver for the color or black and white choice.

The nice thing to digital is that you can do about anything you can do in a wet darkroom a great deal faster and with a lot less experimentation that takes too much time.

The weakness, of course, is that the artsy-craftsy among us do definitely miss the actual physical experience of working with paper, cranking on enlargers, agonizing over which developer and paper to use, how close to mess with chemical temperatures, etc. I also remember a girlfriend wondering just how kinky I was when I asked if I could have some of her old nylon stockings - until she saw how they were used for selective blur techniques.

But then I look again at wet plate stuff and believe me, I wouldn't care to be back then although a good friend of mine does mess with it a lot. Some of the chemicals make it just too potentially dangerous to do a lotta physical stuff that we could do after Mr. Eastman's instantaneous dry plates and plastics overtook glass and wet emulsions.

So in a sense I think wet darkroom is kinda like 50s automobiles and guitars - they're an end product of far less reliable but more handmade sort of craft and are great fun to mess with and "customize." But they're only part of an era that started with handmade and very cranky engines or photo equipment that could be marvelous or hellish creatures. Now all that further evolved to the digital age.

Heck, how many of us would care to be back in the gut string era?

My major objection to digital for what I do is that the batteries need a lotta care when it gets to -30 F or C... but then, at that temperature there could problems with film too, but at least the batteries of an all-mechanical camera weren't something to worry about.

m

I guess you could say Bob's pretty much a photographer of the Ansel Adams school. I met him at the centennial of Devils Tower National Monument that definitely is a target-rich environment for photography.

Another thing, too, Shred...

I'm convinced some of us "see" in color when it comes to composition, others "see" shades of light intensity - as in "black and white." Although I worked testing inks and paper for color printing many years ago, I've come to realize that my own eye does tend to be more "black and white" regardless that I have a good "eye" for color. I dunno if that makes sense or not. But when I'm taking more artsy stuff, I tend toward the light/shadow more than the contrast among colors. Not always, but...

m

I'll agree with you there! Ansel Adams B&W stuff was fabulous but his color work (what little there was) was horrible. I've seen other artists who color is great but they fall apart shooting black and white. Mine sort of varies by subject - my landscape and nature sort of stuff is much better in color, but when I've shot sports I seem to see that in black and white - the color seems to lose it's subject.

The GF thinks I should develop a website and put some of my stuff on the market and since we've now got a house in the works we're considering adding an old style darkroom - I've still got my 4x5 gear (haven't used it in about 10 years though) and my GF can make albumen paper plus she has other friends who can do platinum. Digital is fast but like you said you kind of miss fooling around with the paper and chemistry. And, film is still cheaper - a 4X5 digital back was something on the plus side of $30K last time I looked.

F.A.

Yup on the pricey stuff of a 4 x 5 back - OTOH, with some of the excellent glass out there, and 10+ megapixel sensors, I don't know why anyone would feel a need for the view cam unless it's for the swings and tilts. The wet darkroom ditto in ways since you can duplicate virtually everything in PhotoShop.

"Real" BW prints have the advantage of being pretty long-lasting, OTOH, compared to even the better dyes in printers nowadays, but... one way or another art prints end up being pretty digitized nowadays regardless, given that there's so much direct-to-plate for even the best offset printing. Especially for color, registration is that much easier than the old direct methods.

I've a number of full-time painter friends who are deeply involved in the printing of their art prints and there's no question the degree to which the best quality still has so much computer involvement.

If you're looking to market your stuff, however, as "traditional photography" with the silver in the print paper, you're talking another story, of course. Now you're marketing a final handcrafted piece as much as the actual image itself - with each signed and numbered piece an individual work of art.

That's kind of like a friend of mine who not only does exceptional sculpture, he has his own foundry and does his own casting.

m

Great thread John boy! and some fantastic pictures [thumbup] I haven't sketched for years, so have to satisfy my needs by being a low brow camera phone snapper [biggrin], I don't have any fancy cameras just my iPhone camera LOL [crying] I don't have much to compare it to, but to my untrained eye the quality of camera phones in general seems pretty good. I took this while visiting Roger in 09 (when he lived in Bristol). Bristol is such a lovely place.

Bristol.png

This was done earlier this year about 7:45 in the morning overlooking the music block at one of the schools I teach in Welling, SE London.

BexleyGrammar.png

p.s one more

This is the famous area of Covent Garden in London where all the street performers entertain the public. Next to it is St Paul's known as 'The Actors Church; because of it's notable links to various famous actors and theatrical work. This was taken about 07/08 (again on my camera phone). I had done an afternoon concert in St Paul's, was still in Covent Garden for the evening and I really liked the way everything seemed busy. It just had a really nice London buzz, so I snapped it and I think it came out in picture.

coventgarden.png

Archived