Gibson Brands Forums

Hayes Carll with H-bird and J45

passthej45

This excellent performance had just as excellent sound in my cans. Most of these Music Fog clips are simply excellent. Only thing I can't agree with is the Dylan's overrated line, hehe - Tangled Up In Blue is over-excellent.

And by the way, what kind of orange label 45 is this. Notice the severe back-stripe -

• 9 years later...
On 8/21/2011 at 10:45 AM, E-minor7 said:

This excellent performance had just as excellent sound in my cans. Most of these Music Fog clips are simply excellent. Only thing I can't agree with is the Dylan's overrated line, hehe - Tangled Up In Blue is over-excellent.

And by the way, what kind of orange label 45 is this. Notice the severe back-stripe -

It’s a Gibson J45 Rosewood he bought from Fullers in Houston back in 2001 with a loan he got to record his first album.  Here’s a link to a performance he did a couple days ago with that same guitar and even talks a bit about it. It’s still his main guitar 20’years later. https://youtu.be/-bOy2dg46gM

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mbbrewer said:

It’s a Gibson J45 Rosewood he bought from Fullers in Houston back in 2001 with a loan he got to record his first album.  Here’s a link to a performance he did a couple days ago with that same guitar and even talks a bit about it. It’s still his main guitar 20’years later. https://youtu.be/-bOy2dg46gM

A  fine example of how  circling back to an almost 10 year old post can be a good thing- filling in some blanks on a question asked by a forum member who's still active on the 'board. 

And- how comfortable is Hayes Carll with his trusty J-45 ? RobRoy was recently asking about removing the finish on the J-45 he'd gotten, thinking maybe it was too heavy. Nice patina on this one. 'Don't know if some of the finish  has been removed on the rose' 45 here. . . maybe something added, too. Or maybe some combination of the two.

To jump ahead on this 2-hr clip to where Hayes talks about the guitar:  t = 1:24: 50