Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone 57 reissue jr or Gibson jr satin?

Jumbo

I didn't really like the '57 much. I had one in sunburst and it was my least favourite guitar. I think it was the cheap feel of the finish and the boring dull tone.

Played a few of the cheaper finished Gibsons (LP Faded, Sg Faded, LPJr) and I liked them all a lot more than any Epi counterpart, even in gloss.

I almost bought one of these last week for a Lennon project but decided to hold off until I can afford the whole project.

I liked the satin gibby jr. that I had a chance to play a while ago more than i liked any of the other gibbys they had at my local store. It sounded the best unplugged (to my ears) and plugged in, i prefered the jr. over the red sammy haggar LP, a couple studios (one with P90s) and a billie joe junior. I've never played the Epi '57 jr. so i can't be much help with a comparison. But i can say that if you can afford the gibson, its a pretty cool, and fun thing to play, plus it sounds GREAT.

I'm just the opposite. Played a few of the Gibsons and never liked the satin finish. Very cheap feeling to me. Played the Epi Limited Edition Custom Shop LP Jr and LOVED it! Bought one used and changed out the P100 for a GFS P90 and that thing ROCKED!!! Brought it to Baghdad with me and it survived a lot of moves and punishment. Great guitar!!!

I have a satin finish Gibson Jr.

HPIM0920.jpg

Very nearly bought the Epi 57 a few weeks back but, side by side, there was no comparison. While The Gibson may have a half baked finish, the playability and, especially, the sound, just left the Epi scratching its little headstock. Not even close.

EG

i have the 57 and played the gibson in the local guitar center. I have to say they are both very good. I will lean toward the epi, cause I like the sound i got out of it more. So, that is really the improtant thing. If price is not an issue. Get the one that felt the best to you. or buy them both. [biggrin]

I don't particularly care for the LP Jr., but I do have to say that I highly dislike those cheap-a$$ Gibsons (as opposed to expensive Gibsons. $1000+) Never found one with a satisfactory fit and finish to it. It's like they're not even trying to make a good guitar. Pumping out crap because they can charge $700 for it (It is a Gibson after all).

Get the Epi. You can get a boutique pickup for it and still spend less than the Gibson.

It's a matter of what you want to feel! I played a TV Yellow model @ GC, I din't like the look or the feel of the finish and the body and neck profile just seemed too big and chuncky to me. Idk if there is a GC close to you but alot of them stock the Gibby Satin Jr'sgo try one. I know that the 57 Epi jr's are getting hard to find. I wish Epi would do a DC set neck Jr or special!

Archived