Gibson Brands Forums

Duncan Antiquities in an R7?

SG Jones

I am thinking of putting a set of Duncan Antiquities in my R7.They get great reviews and You Tube vids sound great for whatever that is worth. I am a big fan of vintage PAFs. Do the Duncans sound a lot different than the stock BBs? Input from anyone who has them would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I've never tried them but you're right and they do get a lot of praise. Like you, I've read up on a few different pickups but the only way you're really going to find out if by trying them. You could always buy a used set and then sell them for what you paid if you don't like them.

A lot of good PAFs out there. Too many, actually.

I've never tried them but you're right and they do get a lot of praise. Like you, I've read up on a few different pickups but the only way you're really going to find out if by trying them. You could always buy a used set and then sell them for what you paid if you don't like them.

A lot of good PAFs out there. Too many, actually.

Thanks. Good suggestion. I just put an ad on Kijiji. I'll keep an eye on ebay too.

That is my issue with trying new pickups, how to know if I will like them once they are on my guitar.

Tim did you ever get that Wizz Pickups set?

I did and they're great! Tone wise, the SG was a 10 when it was stock and now it's 10+. I like them so much I ordered another set for my other Easton.

I think you're mostly safe if you buy new from a winder with a good reputation and describe what you're after. Goes against what I wrote above about buying used but I don't think you can custom order Antiquities.

I don't believe all the hype over pickups unless you play clean or jazz etc. Most pickups cans be matched with amp settings.

It's like shades of cream paint. It's in the mind.

Have you ever tried any aftermarket pickups? Let me rephrase that - have you ever tried any aftermarket boutique pickups? So far, I've tried Wolfetones, Throbaks and Wizz. In every instance, they made a huge improvement in every way. A few people on the forums (not this forum) have said it's like taking a blanket off you amp and that's exactly it. They sound better, more articulate and responsive.

Some are way overpriced and there's no arguing that. I'm on the waiting list for a set of Tom Holmes and those are $600! Are they worth it? Probably. Are they twice as good as a $300 PAF clone? Probably not.

The nice thing about the boutique pickups is you generally can get most of your money back if you don't like them and have to sell them. Also, you can talk to the winder who can guide you to the right set or will custom wind a set for you.

I have a set of WCRs in my LP...love them.

There is a lot that can go into a pickup, and the subject about one being better or worth the extra effort is definitely not agreed to by everyone.

Regardless if one agrees that twice the effort and cost equals twice the results, the fact still remains that for the better ones, you are buying someone's expertise and efforts. Someone who has knowledge on what THEY think a genuine reproduction or a BETTER sounding pup comes from not only their opinion, but their experience and efforts.

If you take 3 different builders who all make 3 different pickups that they feel is a perfect copy of one particular pup, they are all going to sound different. They will all 3 hear different things in the original.

On the one hand, if a guy spends so much care and time constructing a pickup in an effort to have it sound exactly the same as another great pup, it does not guarantee results. There still could be details he misses. It could all be a waste of time.

But, if a guy has studied and listened to hundreds of pups, and done lots of experiments, there is bound to be knowledge and improvements there.

I have played a variety of "Botique" pickups.....For H.B.s, I still prefer Classic "57s, and I try to upgrade all my HB guitars with them, while

keeping some Gibby LPs with Burstbuckers....IMHO, "Botique" single coils and P-90s can be amazing, and are true upgrades......

Archived