Gibson Brands Forums

tuners

stan owens

I want to use Grover Keystone Deluxe Tuners

GKDT's are 10mm diameter...

I have an EPI LP Studio which I changed the stock D-Tip Grovers (10mm hole)

out of for Gibson Deluxe Vintage Tulips (also 10mm Hole), so the swap-out wasn't

anything big.

Looking at Headstock shots of the EPI Studio DELUXE, I believe I see press-fit

Bushings (is this correct?). Will require an actual measurement of the current

Tuner Hole (remove ONE tuner, measure hole as seen from back of headstock).

If hole is 10mm, swap is no problem.

Reason for needing measurement of tuner mounting hole is that EPI USUALLY sells their

gits with Grover D-Tips (10mm) as Stock. Hole size is standard. With the Studio Deluxe,

I do not know if they've used a larger bushing to fill the hole for a more "vintage"

look, OR if they've ACTUALLY gone back to a smaller-sized/"vintage" tuner hole of 8mm...

Welcome to THE FORUM!!!!

942659_c71e_625x1000-2.jpg

I want to change tuners on My 2010 epi Les Paul Studio Deluxe. I want to use Grover Keystone Deluxe Tuners. Any one done this had any problems any suggestions?

I changed them out on my Epiphone Dot and they were a direct fit. I used the Grover Deluxe Kluson Style that I purchased from amplifiedpart.com.

Here is a link:

My link

They use a screw on bushing and a large top washer. You will need to drill 12 holes to secure them to the back of the headstock. It took about 30 minutes and was easy as long as you take your time.

Here are a few pics:

tn_DSC02305.jpg

tn_DSC02301.jpg

I know mine do and that's the reason I'll be changing mine. It's a Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus and it has the worst tuning stability of any guitar I have ever owned.

Does it still have the cheap plastic crap nut that comes standard, they often bind on the strings, replacing that with a well cut Tusq nut or similar will go a long way to gaining some tuning stability.

Does it still have the cheap plastic crap nut that comes standard, they often bind on the strings, replacing that with a well cut Tusq nut or similar will go a long way to gaining some tuning stability.

Yeah it does, I didn't know about the strings binding with that nut. I'll have to order a Tusq nut for the guitar then, thanks.

It doesn't happen on all of them but it is fairly common.

My Junior did the same thing with the cheap plastic nut (which had other problems as well; badly grooved so the first two strings were a bit lower than they should have been). I've put in a good 12 hours of playing since I replaced the old nut with a Tusq and other than a couple of strings going flat on me at first (they were new strings and still needed some break-in time), I've had no tuning stability problems at all, even with the cheapo Epi tuners...

Does your guitar have Kluson tuners like the ones listed on the add on MF http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/epiphone-limited-edition-les-paul-studio-deluxe-electric-guitar? If so, I would think the nut is the issue. Epi used to use the Kluson type of tuners in the past and they were an issue sometimes, but I have never had an issue with the Grover Rotomatics that come stock on most Epis. If you don't like the looks of the kidney buttons, you can get keystones to replace them. Just sayin'.

By the way, I have put a few sets of Grover Deluxe Keystone tuners on my guitars and I love them. However, it was for aesthetics rather than tuning issues. That is a great price on the Deluxe tuners listed by waswell above, but they seem to be out of stock. I got mine at stewmac for $45 if you need them right away.

• 4 weeks later...

I made this change to my '11 Walnut Studio. They cover the Grover holes nicely. If you keep them all vertical, without trying toi follow the curves of the headstock profile, I think you'll be happier with the job. Just something I always do, which follows the Gibson approach.BTW....the bone nut changeout probably helped my tuning issues more than anything else. But, I do prefer the green-keys on Gibs & Epis. Probably cause I'm an older guy, who remembers that they were all that way in the 60s & 70s - for the most part.

post-17444-036091100 1319326708_thumb.jpg

Archived