Gibson Brands Forums

Made In America..

Dallastx

Not many companies make things that most of the components are made in the USA. Here are some. Chevrolet Corvette, Harley Davidson motorcycles, Gibson USA guitars, Steinway pianos and Martin guitars..

Hmm. I guess I need a Vette, piano and a Martin to finish my Made in America collection..LOL!

D

i hear what you're saying. made in the U.S.A. is not as common as it once was. but i still go out of my way to support home grown enterprise.

i believe you could add truck, firearms and a host of other products to the list. i bet the list is larger than many realize, and not large enough to others.

fwiw. harley davidson motorcycles are numero uno (if i have to explain, you wouldn't understand). but their apparel blows bigfoots nut sack. i think it is all off shored and slapped with the label, just so you know [thumbup]

i hear what you're saying. made in the U.S.A. is not as common as it once was. but i still go out of my way to support home grown enterprise.

i believe you could add truck, firearms and a host of other products to the list. i bet the list is larger than many realize, and not large enough to others.

fwiw. harley davidson motorcycles are numero uno (if i have to explain, you wouldn't understand). but their apparel blows bigfoots nut sack. i think it is all off shored and slapped with the label, just so you know [thumbup]

Yep the Apperal is junk!

DallasHog2.jpg

Yep the Apperal is junk!

DallasHog2.jpg

nice ride my eyes ain't the best but it looks like a twin cammer. dude, where's your bucket [laugh]

i rode through oklahoma in 2000, went without a bucket on the interstate and it was awesome, in town where there's a high percentage of nutjobs...not so much.

here's my 99 fatboy evo street stalker,

DSCF0517.jpg

New Balance has been working to move more of it's production back to the U.S.. They have a line of shoes that are assembled in U.S.A. from parts made overseas. The cost much more than their import line but I buy them to support a company that I think is moving in the right direction. You can tell which ones they are by the tag in the inside of the tongue.

fwiw. harley davidson motorcycles are numero uno (if i have to explain, you wouldn't understand).

More like "If I have to explain, you must be under 50 years old."

I kid, I kid. I'd loooove to have a Sportster, but HDs just don't have the quality & reliability, then they're overpriced to buy, overpriced to maintain, and don't generally perform so hot.

In all seriousness, HD riders are mostly old men & the company's going teats up in 20 years when their customers are all dead -- unless they can make a young man's motorcycle again, at a price a young man can realistically afford.

- unless they can make a young man's motorcycle again, at a price a young man can realistically afford.

Not likely with the surging popularity in sport bikes, and having to play Johnny Come Lately against the likes of Yamaha, Kawasaki, Honda and Ducati. They'd really have to come out with something outstanding and try to at least break even until they can grab a significant market share. They've failed once already in trying to establish themselves in the light motorcycle market. Not to mention the death of their Buell line.

More like "If I have to explain, you must be under 50 years old."

I kid, I kid. I'd loooove to have a Sportster, but HDs just don't have the quality & reliability, then they're overpriced to buy, overpriced to maintain, and don't generally perform so hot.

In all seriousness, HD riders are mostly old men & the company's going teats up in 20 years when their customers are all dead -- unless they can make a young man's motorcycle again, at a price a young man can realistically afford.

if you owned one, i honestly believe your comment regarding quality, and reliability would be moot. the last i looked the top offerings from japan weren't out of line with hd in pricing. i don't know where this talk of reliability comes from, i have had no break downs with mine, over 50,000 miles of nothing more than regular oil, plug and air filter changes...tires also.

and the reason there are lots of older hd riders is simple, we don't ride like jackwagons. harley riders more often than not, are taken out by other motorists, crotch rocket riders, they kill themselves.

Not likely with the surging popularity in sport bikes, and having to play Johnny Come Lately against the likes of Yamaha, Kawasaki, Honda and Ducati. They'd really have to come out with something outstanding and try to at least break even until they can grab a significant market share. They've failed once already in trying to establish themselves in the light motorcycle market. Not to mention the death of their Buell line.

harley is American, but again, if i had to explain, you wouldn't understand [tongue]

lets get back to the theme, made in America, lets see some more pride [thumbup]

harley is American, but again, if i had to explain, you wouldn't understand [tongue]

What's to explain? That's not even a point to argue. A lot of the Harley loyalty is due to tradition, nostalgia, and being made in the states. Hell I live 3 miles from a HD tech training facility. I try to buy American as much or more than others but that's not what the debate is about. I'm stating a simple fact that the younger crowd generally isn't into Harley Davidson bikes. Probably the most ignorant rebuttal I've seen on the forum in months.

What's to explain? That's not even a point to argue. A lot of the Harley loyalty is due to tradition, nostalgia, and being made in the states. Hell I live 3 miles from a HD tech training facility. I try to buy American as much or more than others but that's not what the debate is about. I'm stating a simple fact that the younger crowd generally isn't into Harley Davidson bikes. Probably the most ignorant rebuttal I've seen on the forum in months.

and the topic in this thread is??? not about hd or what children want to ride, its about Made In America.

how\d that feel? [laugh]

howdthatfeel.gif

and the topic in this thread is??? not about hd or what children want to ride, its about Made In America.

how\d that feel? [laugh]

howdthatfeel.gif

My post was a reply to Brundaddy which you chose to try and intercede upon. Comprehension is hard right? Nice home movie.

If HD wanted to, they could develop a new motor. One of the things that's kept the Big 3 around was offering motors other than the old-school V8. You can still buy a Corvette or Suburban though. To me Harleys are like the land-yacht Lincoln coupes in the 70s that had 460 cid motors. Cool and ridiculous at the same time, and so huge and heavy that they're not good for anything but being a sofa on the highway.

if you owned one, i honestly believe your comment regarding quality, and reliability would be moot. the last i looked the top offerings from japan weren't out of line with hd in pricing. i don't know where this talk of reliability comes from, i have had no break downs with mine, over 50,000 miles of nothing more than regular oil, plug and air filter changes...tires also.

and the reason there are lots of older hd riders is simple, we don't ride like jackwagons. harley riders more often than not, are taken out by other motorists, crotch rocket riders, they kill themselves.

lets get back to the theme, made in America, lets see some more pride [thumbup]

My joke was not that there are lots of older hd riders, it's that there are very very few younger hd riders. But you're right, old men do ride like old men.

You know what advice my HD-riding friends gave me when I told them I want to buy a used Sporty for my sole transportation, 365 ride? "You don't want a Harley. The service/maintenance costs will eat you alive. You can't get anybody to pick up a wrench for less than $300. Plus Harley will kill you on parts, that's where they make a lot of their money. You'll want low maintenance, get a Jap bike with shaft drive." That's a mashup of their advice to me. These are guys who ride Harleys, whose dads (and some of their granddads) rode Harleys. They tell me they do it mainly as a family tradition, and say they're a little foolish for spending the money.

For $4000 you can buy a used V-Star 1600 and ride til you flip the OD, and ride some more.

You can't even buy a used Harley for $4000 and ride it home, let alone ride a used $4000 HD 100,000 miles without needing major work. I think that speaks to build quality. I'm just saying if Harley's are so great, why isn't it the motorcycle make of choice when people ride from Cape to Cairo, or from Alaska to the the Andes, or Paris to Peking?

I get it, HD is the bloodline of the classic, Golden Age, American motorcycle. When I was a kid I wanted one myself. I have owned muscle cars and even a 1955 Chevrolet Bel Air Sport Coupe 2-door hardtop. I want American manufacturing to be the best & I know the appeal of Harleys and the tradition and their place in American culture.

What I'm saying is that Harley's blowing it. They absolutely should keep building the FLDIUBFKJBF Vaseline Glides cuz they're awesome & are works of art in their own right, but they better develop some inexpensive & durable thumpers, 2-strokes, triples, etc. Maybe even bust out a completely new engine design altogether! HD needs to win races with new motors & build some bikes younger people can afford, or else in 20 years there won't be many Harley customers left, cuz the current HD riders will be too old to ride or dead.

WW2 forced US manufacturing to step up production and led to a Golden Age of cars & bikes, and a boom in household appliances. Detroit was an awesome city.

Personally I think we won't get that kind of manufacturing back unless we are forced to by the threat of a giant land or naval invasion by China, for instance.

I love my country and I buy American wherever I can. It's why I play Gibson guitars through Fender (USA) amps. It's why I raced Chevys. But I will not make a foolish purchase of an inferior product just because it's made in America. If you've got $15,0000-$30,000 laying around to buy a new Harley tourer, more power to you. I don't live in that world, so from my perspective & budget, a Harley is an inferior & foolish choice for me.

And it does make me sick that that Harley never made 50 million indestructible scooters like the 'Honda Cub' or just made SOME lineup of inexpensive, durable, and reliable machines. I wish I could tear up the streets on a 300-pound Harley wheelie machine that cost me $1200, cuz that's what I could afford to buy a fun bike, but that's why I ride an indestructible jap thumper. If there was an American made equivalent, believe me I would be riding it.

i think i got this now. if you can't afford something, punk it down to make yourself feel better, right [thumbup]

i'd say buy a john deer riding lawn mower, that is in your price range (yeah, i'm being flippant), but i don't believe they are 100% American any longer [thumbdn]

i think someone with friends who ride harleys, and is told not to buy one by these friends, might need new friends...just saying.

besides, sporty's are a girls bike anyways [laugh]

I think if YOU had a friend who has $2000 to spend on a bike, and NEEDED to buy one for sole form of transportation, and you told him to buy a Harley, you'd be a ******bag... just saying.

Spare me the latent homosexuality. Some people don't weigh 300 pounds, and actually like to make turns.

i think i got this now. if you can't afford something, punk it down to make yourself feel better, right [thumbup]

i'd say buy a john deer riding lawn mower, that is in your price range (yeah, i'm being flippant), but i don't believe they are 100% American any longer [thumbdn]

No, just don't be a weenie & don't be self-righteous if other people don't ride a Harley. There's a lot of styles of riding to the sport, and Harley only offers a narrow slice of the equipment.

Archived