Gibson Brands Forums

SG Headstock Defect

StompIt

Hey Guys,

Just received my new SG Standard from MF yesterday and overall I'm extremely pleased. Amazing tone and playability. Just have one issue. There is a manufacturing defect on the headstock starting at the nut and going under the truss rod cover. I know that MF will take it back and exchange it, but Im wondering if defects of this nature are common and that I may end up with something similar on the next one. The neck on this one is fantastic.. no buzzes or dead zones.

Bad news: See post # 19 for the replacement guitar.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-40A4D2ouAOk/ToWi0YWZcJI/AAAAAAAAiDA/DXVeMYIEyfw/s640/DSC03815.JPG

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-8gtMPEYH654/ToWi4fxRkUI/AAAAAAAAiDU/5Dci_i57HX8/s640/DSC03821.JPG

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-FTwWJdlQyPw/ToWi6dacOdI/AAAAAAAAiDg/6i6eUObGrRI/s640/DSC03824.JPG

I'm curious as to what exactly that is. . Is it a split in the finish? . Is it a scrap? . Is it a crack? . Looks like something metal is showing down in there - screw? Truss rod?

How about a pic with the TRC off?

Given the amazing tone and playability the guitar has, if it's just a split or scrap in the finish and the guitar is otherwise fine, I'd keep it and cover that spot (black paint or something). When you got a great player, there's always a gamble on an exchange you will be disappointing with the replacement.

If it's a crack, I would return it. The crack could extend below the fretboard and be worse than it actually looks.

I wonder if that escaped QC or if something happened during shipping to the retailer.

If that came out of the factory like that=====no excuse imo.

To be honest.....and i'll get shot down for saying this,...(but it is JUST MY EXPERIENCE OF ON-LINE GIBSONS)..many come with defects,(on-line buying has been debated elsewhere)....

The only way you can be sure to get one defect free is to buy from a store,(i've sat for hours playing,inspecting),

i realise this is not always possible for some,and of course you save a few quid on-line,but road testing is the only way,

i've never seen that problem on a gibson before,and would be suprised to see another,....but the worst of it for you ,you love the guitar!! ,....a replacement MAY not feel/sound so good.

good luck though.

I'm curious as to what exactly that is. . Is ita split in the finish? . Is it a scrap? . Is it a crack? . Looks like something metal is showing down in there - screw? Truss rod?

How about a pic with the TRC off?

Given the amazing tone and playability the guitar has, if it's just a split or scrap in the finish and the guitar is otherwise fine, I'd keep it and cover that spot (black paint or something). When you got a great player, there's always a gamble on an exchange you will be disappointing with the replacement.

If it's a crack, I would return it. The crack could extend below the fretboard and be worse than it actually looks.

I wonder if that escaped QC or if something happened during shipping to the retailer.

You bring up some very good points.

I didnt get time, but I considered pulling the TRC off, which would be interesting.

I dont see any metal in the defect.. but I am wondering what the pinkish colored area is.

If that came out of the factory like that=====no excuse imo.

To be honest.....and i'll get shot down for saying this,...(but it is JUST MY EXPERIENCE OF ON-LINE GIBSONS)..many come with defects,(on-line buying has been debated elsewhere)....

The only way you can be sure to get one defect free is to buy from a store,(i've sat for hours playing,inspecting),

i realise this is not always possible for some,and of course you save a few quid on-line,but road testing is the only way,

i've never seen that problem on a gibson before,and would be suprised to see another,....but the worst of it for you ,you love the guitar!! ,....a replacement MAY not feel/sound so good.

good luck though.

The lack of QC on this particular guitar is evident and Im most likely just going to send it back. Its just too expensive to live with it. But you are right, road testing would eliminate this issue. My concern about getting another GOOD player seems to be well founded, but I guess I will cross my fingers [-o< .

Here's another angle.. this thing is really wierd...

It almost looks as if the truss rod cavity has been cut to big ,and covered over by the headstock veneer,

i'd be itching to take the truss rod cover off and looksee.......unless you're worried it could do further damage.....

you're not happy....send it back.

It almost looks as if the truss rod cavity has been cut to big ,and covered over by the headstock veneer,

i'd be itching to take the truss rod cover off and looksee.......unless you're worried it could do further damage.....

you're not happy....send it back.

I'm going to pull the cover and take a look... Im really curious now.

I'm glad you decided to send your SG Standard back to MF. Even before I read any of the other responses, I thought. "No way, Jose." That is totally unacceptable

regardless of the price. From the looks of it I think it may even get worse over time, and what if you ever had to sell it? No one would by something with that sort

of defect. Regular wear and tear (dings, scratches, or what people refer to as "mojo") would not hurt the resale, but something like what you have definitely would.

I hope they send you a better one next time around. Good luck.

I feel your pain!

i has to send 2 silverburst sg's back to finally get a good one. i had them ship to the gc store and i personaly opened the boxes . i ask the store manager if gibson sold them factory seconds lol

I am seeing a lot of defects latley from gibson

it's just not acceptable to pay 1200+ for a guitar that is not perefct. when lower priced mex strats a epiphones have no flaws in the finish ect.

hope the new one you get is good. i really like mine but almost gave up on ownng my first gibby

I wish I had gotten here sooner. Since that guitar was new, I'd bet my left nut that you could have had that guitar sent to Gibson and they would have repaired and refinished the headstock. I contacted their custom shop about refinishing a headstock on an SG a few months ago, and the price they gave me was what I considered to be fair. So, you may have been able to work out a partial refund with MF and then paid for the repair, as Gibson could have sent you a quote on the total cost.

I'm betting though, that big of a defect would have been covered under the Gibson warranty. With that it would have been a free repair. Even, so there still would have been a possibility of them just sending you a new guitar, depending on how severe that defect really is to the overall integrity of the neck.

I'm sure your new guitar will be just as good. If it doesn't feel as good at first, have it setup, as that may make the difference. Lots of these guitars have shoddy setups out of the box, some have a good setup and those are the ones that feel the best. I try to never make a judgement on a guitar unless it is setup properly.

Thanks again to everyone on this posting! You guys are very helpful.

I did receive the replacement SG last week and it had yet another defect. I was checking the neck relief closely yesterday and saw what looked like a flake of wood. Upon closer inspection I realized that there are at least four areas on the fretboard where the rosewood is missing. Im not sure what would cause this in the Gibson process, but its not going to stay at my house. I looked over my old Les Paul just to make sure I wasnt crazy and its smooth as silk. On the second photo, there are actually two areas of flaked out wood on either side of the separated area (On the right side defect , right at the fretwire, is where I saw the lifted flake that caught my eye).

Im going to send this one back for a refund. I'm really surprised about the lack of QC on these USA guitars. Im really not trying to complain or knock Gibson, because my LP has been one of my favorites over the years. Maybe I need to try a company like Wildwood who will thoroughly check over the guitar.

Ralph

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-LZ_2DrKOspM/TpDi9loflSI/AAAAAAAAiGs/cXxlyyjB62c/s800/DSC03846.JPG

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-HlkfV16pXrM/TpDjTXPm8jI/AAAAAAAAiH4/cUOEfYAsYbo/s800/DSC03864.JPG

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-EwXb7GLDeu0/TpDjD7D0WqI/AAAAAAAAiHA/KjuaDYMVYOo/s800/DSC03851.JPG

I wouldn't buy another one, without going into an actual store and trying it out and inspecting first. That sucks, for sure. Don't give up on the SG, though. It's a great guitar. I'm so surprised that you've had these issues. The only "defect" I've seen out of any Gibson me or my friends have bought in the last 3-4 years (which is about 12 guitars) is, a poorly cut nut, and some VERY slight finish bleedover from the neck onto the binding........it was so slight though, it was a non-issue.

• 3 weeks later...

Just received this same guitar that you sent back to Musicians friend. Very weird but I recognized the pics you posted. I removed the truss rod cover and I think it's only a defect in the black paint on the headstock not a crack. I got a great deal on this SG, and I love the way it plays. They sold it as a mint condition used guitar and I ended up getting it for $832.00. I think I am keeping this one

Just received this same guitar that you sent back to Musicians friend. Very weird but I recognized the pics you posted. I removed the truss rod cover and I think it's only a defect in the black paint on the headstock not a crack. I got a great deal on this SG, and I love the way it plays. They sold it as a mint condition used guitar and I ended up getting it for $832.00. I think I am keeping this one

Glad you're happy with it. But, it p's me off they that sold it as a mint condition used guitar. At least they were honest about the used part, but don't you think they should have disclosed the imperfection?

This is why its best to try before you buy, "if possible". If I saw this guitar in the store with this imperfection, I could decide then and there if I could live with it or not, and hopefully get it a a lower price to make up for it. But, when you spend the top dollar and it comes that way, I think it is a raw deal. That is a pretty good price for you though, so tip of the hat if it is not an issue for you.

Archived