Gibson Brands Forums

mojo

Silenced Fred

Mojo is a conspiracy created by vintage guitar sellers in order to inflate the prices of vintage (or, as I prefer, "old") guitars and inspire collectors to pay prices up to 2000% the actual value of the instrument. It's bought into by dad-rockers and folk musicians out of the belief that it will improve the sound of their pentatonic blues licks and their open-string cowboy chords, and endorsed by major guitar companies to promote the purchasing of more expensive instruments, as everyone knows that the more expensive an instrument is when it's new, the more "mojo" it will develop with age. The idea of "mojo" is a crass fraud and a scam and companies or distributors that evoke its properties should never be trusted.

It's also related to pro-union activities, progressive congressmen and lobbyists intent on passing harmful anti-business and pro-big-government legislation, Satan, and subterranean lizard-people who are attempting to bring about a new world order (or NWO) through the sale of vintage Gibsons.

Trust me:

tinfoil-hat.jpg

Mojo is a conspiracy created by vintage guitar sellers in order to inflate the prices of vintage (or, as I prefer, "old") guitars and inspire collectors to pay prices up to 2000% the actual value of the instrument. It's bought into by dad-rockers and folk musicians out of the belief that it will improve the sound of their pentatonic blues licks and their open-string cowboy chords, and endorsed by major guitar companies to promote the purchasing of more expensive instruments, as everyone knows that the more expensive an instrument is when it's new, the more "mojo" it will develop with age. The idea of "mojo" is a crass fraud and a scam and companies or distributors that evoke its properties should never be trusted.

It's also related to pro-union activities, progressive congressmen and lobbyists intent on passing harmful anti-business and pro-big-government legislation, Satan, and subterranean lizard-people who are attempting to bring about a new world order (or NWO) through the sale of vintage Gibsons.

Trust me:

tinfoil-hat.jpg

lol the title was tongue in cheek, i just love how comfortable the neck is now, and i think its cool that its finally getting wear through use not abuse.

Mojo is a lot of hype, however, i do love me some old acoustics. great sounds

lol the title was tongue in cheek, i just love how comfortable the neck is now, and i think its cool that its finally getting wear through use not abuse.

Mojo is a lot of hype, however, i do love me some old acoustics. great sounds

I was trying to be funny. [biggrin]

I don't buy into mojo, but if it helps others feel good about their scratches and dents then more power to them. [rolleyes][confused]

lol look the case is rubbing off the finish as much as anything. Sorry Fred that isn't mojo. That's a thin finish.

Just kidding it's actually pretty mojoriffic

lol look the case is rubbing off the finish as much as anything. Sorry Fred that isn't mojo. That's a thin finish.

Just kidding it's actually pretty mojoriffic

If you look, the guitar is opposite of the way it would be in the case. How the neck would match up with the case, its completely clean on the part that would touch the neck that i took the picture of. my sentence structure is really weird but I'm having some drinks and watching sons of anarchy

the case isn't rubbing off the finish on the bottom of the neck LOOK AT THE CASEEEEEEEEE

Oh I'm lookin at the case.. And I see distinct red stains. So either you're keeping dead animals/children in there or the case is rubbing off the finish.

on the other side of the neck! Where all the wear is, is from play.

The faded finish is a thin finish, which is why I'm getting decent wear after only three years, but still, its so comfy!

I will fight you Dub, I know where you live!

tumblr_lprzuqdBzL1r1vetco1_400.jpg

I was trying to be funny. [biggrin]

I don't buy into mojo, but if it helps others feel good about their scratches and dents then more power to them. [rolleyes][confused]

I love the look of a well used, but not abused guitar myself... but I refuse to allow someone to use it as a reason to ask for more money for a guitar... especially if they are selling a new instrument that does not have it's battle scars from natural causes. In fact, I find the whole idea of relicing a new guitar to be totally offensive.

Guitars that got these wear marks naturally might very well be an instrument that was special to it's previous owners and as such played heavily... this could just as likely indicate a really good instrument as much as it could indicate a guitar used by someone who couldn't afford anything better.

Personally, Fuzz, I'd say the comfort level of the neck is a direct cause of the wear on the neck more than the wear being a cause of the comfort... if you didn't like the neck, you wouldn't play that particular guitar so much and hence, less wear. ;)

on the other side of the neck! Where all the wear is, is from play.

The faded finish is a thin finish, which is why I'm getting decent wear after only three years, but still, its so comfy!

I will fight you Dub, I know where you live!

tumblr_lprzuqdBzL1r1vetco1_400.jpg

That anteater is so cool looking I can't really concentrate on whatever we were talking about.

When did "Mojo' come to mean "Wear"? It used to mean Talent, Charisma, and Soul. The intangible qualities that made some Bluesmen more entertaining than other Bluesmen and it comes in a Medicine Bag that hangs from the belt of the Bluesman in question.

When, oh when, did it become nicks, dings, and worn finishes?

When did "Mojo' come to mean "Wear"? It used to mean Talent, Charisma, and Soul. The intangible qualities that made some Bluesmen more entertaining than other Bluesmen and it comes in a Medicine Bag that hangs from the belt of the Bluesman in question.

When, oh when, did it become nicks, dings, and worn finishes?

I think since the internet so people could brag about it, and use it to sell stuff better.

But, it was tongue in cheek. I don't believe in mojo

I think since the internet so people could brag about it, and use it to sell stuff better.

But, it was tongue in cheek. I don't believe in mojo

I got it, I just miss the Pre-Net definition. And I totally believe in Mojo. That is, the intangible qualities that translate into charisma and talent, not the magic bag or magic wear.

Archived