Gibson Brands Forums

George Harrison's '62 Gibson J-160E

Craig910

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While he had an impressive résumé and accomplishments, AFAIK Tom Dowd personally had nothing to do with the Beatles or their recordings. Chaos and Creation at Abbey Road is an interesting show about the how The Beatles recorded at Abbey Road that's available on YouTube in seven sections - http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Chaos+%26+Creation+at+Abbey+Road&aq=f

zakly... Tom Dowd was 'the' engineer for the Apex 4 track machine at that time. He used bailing wire, soldering irons, etc to keep those tape-stretching machines working. On-the-fly he built a number of mixing boards during recording sessions, he was mazin. Later on he got into music production at Atlantic.

Again, my point was how the J160 survived it's lobotomy from those days, everything was an analog experiment before it became a digital technology.... and that was a big part of the soul of the Beatles, doing something new. No different than LesPaul's first elec guitar on display in Cleveland.

guitar forensics [tongue]

x293-1.jpg

I would be prepared to believe these are the same guitar, as well as the similarities already marked, look at the wear above the soundhole on the bridge side, then look above Lennon's hand in the old pic. The markings have already started by this point. A very dramatic fade out, I hope I live to be old enough to see one of my own in an aged and faded state.

Been watching these guitars all my life, but only last year when I rolled into the Gibson storm, the looking glass came up and created real focus. Of course it has been utterly intriguing.

That's the reason I cling to these Beatles threads as were they Gibson guitars themselves.

Here is the scared first Lennon model (in reality George's) J-160Eworn.jpg - must be the stolen.

And here is the answer to quiz #1 -

IStillLoveTheBeatles.jpgGuess these were made in wake of the We are bigger than J. controversy.

Btw. - Did Lennon only have 4 fingers. . . .

The reverse-belly bridge, Eastman guitars has a protype slope-shoulder model out with that feature.

What is ODD about this is....the natural(instead of sunburst) top ....PLUS the bridge looks like it was stuck down with a ****-load of epoxy. NOT pretty!

Still my favorite sound after all these years!! Fabfourulous.

Wish I could get my 160E to sound that great. Oh well, I'd never have been able to have stood being with Yoko either so I guess it's only 1/2 bad. [biggrin]

Aster

GivePeaceaSaddle.jpg

What is ODD about this is....the natural(instead of sunburst) top ....PLUS the bridge looks like it was stuck down with a ****-load of epoxy. NOT pretty!

The pins are 'otherly', the saddle doesn't look adjustable. The guitar is worn and the drawings seem right so it may be the original. Didn't it end up having an adjustable saddle like in the beginning.

Could the pic be from phase in between ?

GivePeaceaBridge.jpg

Looking closer, something indeed is wrong. The first photo must be a smaller model - a piece of toy or a gadget of some sort. . . .

This book was a good read if anyone hasn't read it. From the soundman's perpective, and I really could not put it down until I finished it.

http://www.amazon.com/Here-There-Everywhere-Recording-Beatles/dp/1592402690/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1318553632&sr=8-7

excerpt from link:

Editorial Reviews

From Publishers Weekly

Emerick was a fresh-faced young engineer in April 1966 when producer George Martin offered him the chance to work with the Beatles on what would become Revolver. He lasted until 1968, when tensions within the group, along with the band members' eccentricities and the demands of the job, forced him to quit after The White Album, exhausted and burned out. In this entertaining if uneven memoir, Emerick offers some priceless bits of firsthand knowledge. Amid the strict, sterile confines of EMI's Abbey Road studio, where technicians wore lab coats, the Beatles' success allowed them to challenge every rule. From their use of tape loops and their labor-intensive fascination with rolling tape backwards, the Beatles—and Emerick—reveled in shaking things up. Less remarkable are Emerick's personal recollections of the band members. He concedes the group never really fraternized with him—and he seems to have taken it personally. The gregarious McCartney is recalled fondly, while Lennon is "caustic," Ringo "bland" and Harrison "sarcastic" and "furtive." Still, the book packs its share of surprises and will delight Beatle fans curious about how the band's groundbreaking records were made. (Mar.)

Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved. --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.

From Booklist

Emerick was only 15 when he began working with the Beatles as an assistant engineer at Abbey Road Studios. Later, as a 19-year-old full engineer, he was on board for the seminal Revolver and Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. Always aiming for perfection, the Beatles never took no for an answer, and he did his best to oblige by developing innovative recording techniques, some simple (e.g., using a loudspeaker as a microphone), others more sophisticated. Being the Beatles' engineer wasn't entirely pleasant. Eventually, during the tense and uncomfortable White Album sessions, the Beatles barely spoke to one another without anger, and Emerick quit before recording was finished. But he returned to work on Abbey Road and several McCartney solo records, including Band on the Run. Anyone interested in the Beatles and their music ought to love Emerick's as-told-to insider's account of working with the world's most famous band when they made their most famous music. June Sawyers

Copyright © American Library Association. All rights reserved --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.

BluesKing777.

GivePeaceaSaddle.jpg

The pins are 'otherly', the saddle doesn't look adjustable. The guitar is worn and the drawings seem right so it may be the original. Didn't it end up having an adjustable saddle like in the beginning.

GivePeaceaBridge.jpg

Looking closer, something indeed is wrong. The first photo must be a smaller model - a piece of toy or a gadget of some sort. . . .

Yes indeed that has to be a miniature replica of the "Peace" J160e. I have a high res photo of the "Peace" guitar from Andy Babiuk's book that shows that whatever that guitar is, it is not the original.

It's all very fine with this G. Emerick – but can he tell us anything about the J-160E's. . . .

He might, but might not.

Apologies but reading about Beatles guitars reminded me of one of the better books on them. The guy was an apprentice soundman and probably would be shocked to hear the guitar was called a J-160e...

BluesKing777.

He might, but might not.

I know him very well, , , or know of him. And his effort cannot be overestimated.

The 4 Fabs - and G. Martin - not seldom counted on him to make some kind of fix-trick.

I believe he can be regarded as #6.

A shame he seems to carry some bitterness with him.

Not sure if I'll get the book.

Might, but might not.

GivePeaceaSaddle.jpg

GivePeaceaBridge.jpg

The pickguard (or scratchplate) is ODD on this guitar also....!

Archived