Gibson Brands Forums

New Gibson Guitars Released with New Fingerboard Type Wood

bluesguitar65

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fender doesn't use a lot of Indian Rosewood. The Rosewood they use if from non endangered species. There is more than one type of rosewood in the world, in fact there's no problem whatsoever in using Mexican Rosewood, it just doesn't appeal to the "Status Crowd". And we even farm some Rosewood right here in the US, but who wants Domestic Rosewood fretboard? That's not as romantic sounding Imported Rosewood.

Oddly enough, if a guitar company imports Potentiometer from Indonesia they're called cheap. Import Rosewood from Indonesia it's Exotic. Absurd!

Could you really tell a difference between an endangered rosewood with those that are not? If fender uses those domestic rosewood, then they look pretty good to me and to most IMHO. I'll take any "rosewood" over some wood that were also used for wood chips in hamster cages.

Could you really tell a difference between an endangered rosewood with those that are not? If fender uses those domestic rosewood, then they look pretty good to me and to most IMHO. I'll take any "rosewood" over some wood that were also used for wood chips in hamster cages.

I couldn't agree more! [thumbup]

I actually kind of assumed it was considered endangered. Isn't that why it's "Protected" by the Lacey Act?

The Lacey act itself does not state what is protected or not, or say if you can use protected or not. It says that if it is illegal in the country or export, then it will also be illegal here.

For the most part, obviously the Lacey act is meant to help protect endangered species, and most of it's enforcement would be a result something being illegal because it is protected.

In the case of the wood from India, it is labor laws that are the reason the wood is (allegedly) illegal.

The Lacey act itself does not state what is protected or not, or say if you can use protected or not. It says that if it is illegal in the country or export, then it will also be illegal here.

For the most part, obviously the Lacey act is meant to help protect endangered species, and most of it's enforcement would be a result something being illegal because it is protected.

In the case of the wood from India, it is labor laws that are the reason the wood is (allegedly) illegal.

Oh! Thanks for clearing that up. makes the whole thing that much more ridiculous #-o

Guitarbro:

I'm actually curious about that. I have had more than a few fenders, and ones the finish wears, that black is impossible to get out (I even tried refinishing one-the stains went below the surface).

For tone, Maple is one of my favorites. I never seen to see any Gibson maple boards with the wear and stains from playing. Do they do something to the wood to prevent that?

I realize Gibson's need to find other types of fretboard wood since Indian Rosewood is becoming a hassle to get. But couldn't they go looking for something that is as good as rosewood in terms of tone and durability rather than buying cheaper and inferior quality woods. It's become obvious by now that a Gibson user doesn't mind paying a few bucks more if the quality is there... we do however have a serious problem with paying premium prices for inferior product.

Guitarbro:

I'm actually curious about that. I have had more than a few fenders, and ones the finish wears, that black is impossible to get out (I even tried refinishing one-the stains went below the surface).

For tone, Maple is one of my favorites. I never seen to see any Gibson maple boards with the wear and stains from playing. Do they do something to the wood to prevent that?

Ground rino horn mixed with dodo bird semen........[flapper][scared][blink] ...

The way I've read a bunch of the wood info, it appears somebody in gov'ment also didn't like Gibson's paperwork regardless that the wood was legally imported. And... perhaps some of the rosewood may have some connection to a person who may or may have been involved in illegal trading of wood in that part of the world.

My understanding is that this other wood is only on some of the less expensive Gibbies.

But frankly I still feel the way this has been handled by the government is pretty heavy-handed, and probably unnecessarily so. Heavens, I remember buying "blanks" to make hunting knife handles back when I was crafting them.

They remain available, along with materials for guitar making, directly from India without the protection of a middle man importer. Note the term "blanks" for various uses, and that the Lacey Act apparently has no effect here:

Gemwood

Mr.GOPAL

Devikripa, Valanjambalam,

Chittoor Road,Cochin - 682016, South India.

Phone Inquiries .......................... 91-484-2375826

Phone ......................................... 91-484-2376819, 2376748 [ OFFICE ]

Phone ......................................... 91-484-2542695, 2555116 [ FACTORY ]

Phone ......................................... 0984-6050819 [ MOBILE ]

FAX ........................................... 91-484-2376819, 2375826

Accepting American Express credit cards

Flexible shipping - yes

WEB SITE...................... gemwood.com

EMAIL .......................... gemwood at md3.vsnl.net.in

Suppliers specializing in exotic hardwoods of India as well as many other domestic and exotic lumber and hardwoods. If you want turning woods, carving woods, scroll saw specialty woods, or just a piece of fancy wood to make a pretty box, you are in the right place.

We are one of the largest exporters from KERALA, SOUTH INDIA.

We also supply quality knife handle blanks, penblanks, and much much more. We can offer you attractive prices along with prompt shipment schedule.

We can also offer tonewood for the musical instruments like Guitar Fingerboards, Backs and sides of the Guitar, Bridge blanks, head stock etc out of East Indian Rosewood.

Our major products from East Indian Rosewoods are:

1. Guitar - Backs & Sides (Solid)

2. Guitar - Backs & Sides (Veneer)

3. Guitar - Finger Boards

4. Guitar - Bridges

5. Guitar Head Stock

6. Billiard Cue

7. Rosewoods Handle Blanks

8. Ebony Fingerboards, bridge Blanks, Peghead overlays etc.

9. Speli Backs and Sides

There's no need at all for Gibson to switch to maple fingerboards or any other kind of fingerboard because you can order rose wood anytime you like from LMI or StewMac or just about any other lithier supply shop all day long. Its not hard to get.

There's no need at all for Gibson to switch to maple fingerboards or any other kind of fingerboard because you can order rose wood anytime you like from LMI or StewMac or just about any other lithier supply shop all day long. Its not hard to get.

Someone should PM Henry about this...................[flapper][scared] :unsure: [crying][lol] .......

Searcy...

Yup... and it makes one wonder why the wood has been impounded, some for more than two years, and why the corporate computers were impounded. Even if paperwork is faulty, and if they've been buying from LMI, one might find oneself asking a lotta questions.

Hmmmm. I say charge 'em or release 'em. Timely due process? As the old saying goes, justice delayed is justice denied. If it were a matter just of charges being filed and delayed, that's one thing. Removing $.5 million in materials for several years and fighting against returning it with no charges filed is yet another.

m

Everyone who reads this thread should read the Lacey Act and all amendments...It's a quick read and is helpful in TRYING to comprehend

this situation.......

Now for the bad joke: At least the temporarily 'confiscated' wood will be well seasoned once it is returned......:-k :-k :-k ....

Searcy...

Yup... and it makes one wonder why the wood has been impounded, some for more than two years, and why the corporate computers were impounded. Even if paperwork is faulty, and if they've been buying from LMI, one might find oneself asking a lotta questions.

Hmmmm. I say charge 'em or release 'em. Timely due process? As the old saying goes, justice delayed is justice denied. If it were a matter just of charges being filed and delayed, that's one thing. Removing $.5 million in materials for several years and fighting against returning it with no charges filed is yet another.

m

Not only that:

IF Gibson was guilty, they can NOT be guilty alone: that would mean OTHERS have conspired in this particular chain. Yet, Gibson are the ones they are going after (and, obviously, the others in this chain would be a bigger problem and have a bigger impact, as they do business with more than just Gibson.

The INTENT of the Lacey act is meant to do one of two things: protect endangered species and/or assist in protecting American jobs. The implementation of the law and the Lacey act in this case is doing the opposite of both.

Everyone who reads this thread should read the Lacey Act and all amendments...It's a quick read and is helpful in TRYING to comprehend

this situation.......

Now for the bad joke: At least the temporarily 'confiscated' wood will be well seasoned once it is returned......:-k :-k :-k ....

This is starting to make sense now...

Just before this all started there were some Gibson's given as gifts (the highly publicized one given to the first lady)

Perhaps they got some with some of that cracking of the finish at the fretboard, and decided to take action.

You have to remember something, most of Gibsons products fall into the "Cork Sniffer" mentality or the Elitist or want to be elitist crowd. I use my guitars to play and have many different brands, there are so many gibson owners who are more collectors than anything; this is where Gibson really makes their money. All those signature LP's that are really just a studio with a name attached and one or two cosmetic changes. Fenders are more of a working mans guitar or more of a common owned guitar. Hell I have had more Fenders than Gibsons also; and if they can use Mexican or American Rosewood why can't Gibson. It just doesn't sound right to have a two grand guitar without at least one or two items on it that are imported. Hell almost the entire LP is imported and its only American labor that put it together.

I dare Gibson to prove otherwise, from electrics and wood from the Asian region of the world to the other parts. I posted a complete list a few weeks ago and got flamed because it was actually correct. There is nothing wrong with using American Parts also not just labor; but Henry doesn't want to pay those costs....

Oh yes, the Oenophiles of the guitar world. Gotta have something Over the Jones. :rolleyes:

If it wasn't for the Lust for Diamonds there's be no Blood Market, I suppose the same can be said for Indian Rosewood.

Archived