Gibson Brands Forums

SG Limited editionG-400 w/maestro

danl56

I recently posted a question about these G-400 which are available thru Sam Ash.I was more concerned about playability of the guitar and the maestro bar especially. I have never played one are even know anybody that has. If I could get some input from somebody that has it would be greatly appreciated. I could go to Sam Ash but it is about a two hour drive just to try one. I figure as well versed as every one is here they could maybe save me a trip. I could also go on the assumption that see how there are not many around and no reviews on line must be a reason for it. I would greatly appreciate any input from anyone. Just trying to learn about these Epiphones I really like them. The tone and playability are fantastic for the price. After buying a Nighthawk my first Epiphone I have purchased four more. Haven't been picking my strats up as much anymore Well thanks all for the info and remember home is where the guitars are.

Now that I think of it, I believe Supersonic 101 has a black one with gold hardware, could be someone else though, can't remember wether or not he replied to the other thread, but I'd think they're the same git with a different finish...

Hi danl56,

LSAR is right, I do indeed have a G400 with Maestro in ebony with gold hardware. I guess the gold hardware is why it's called a "Deluxe", but the Pelham Blue one looks to be exactly like the one I have except for the finish and hardware. I love mine. For me, the Maestro just "completes" the look of an SG. It's a good player for sure, nice neck and easy playing fretboard. I initially thought there might be some problems with it staying in tune because of the Maestro, but I have had no troubles at all with that. Once when I had the strings off, I thought the trem on mine might have gotten bent because it seemed like the bar was sitting up too high, but I think it was mostly my eyes playing tricks on me because I was looking at it without the tension from the strings. Forum member jcwillow has a cherry G400 '65 reissue with Maestro and he helped me out with pics of how his looked.

I don't use the Maestro all that much while playing, but I have definitely given it a workout on more than one occasion and mine stays in tune great. It's pretty sturdy. Now I don't go crazy trying to do 'dive bombs' with it or anything, but that's not what it's made for. Changing strings is easy as hell too.

I should mention that I replaced the plastic Epiphone nut on mine with a Graphtech Tusq nut as soon as I got the guitar. I changed the switch tip to a white one just because I'm picky and it matched the new nut. The only thing I plan on changing now is to swap out the Grover D-shaped tuners for some vintage style Klusons. The stock Grovers work fine, I just think the old school tuners would look better on it.

Anyway, I love mine and I love the look of that Pelham Blue one too. For the money I don't think you can go wrong. Here's mine (well part of it):

SGtrem.jpg

Hi danl56,

LSAR is right, I do indeed have a G400 with Maestro in ebony with gold hardware. I guess the gold hardware is why it's called a "Deluxe", but the Pelham Blue one looks to be exactly like the one I have except for the finish and hardware. I love mine. For me, the Maestro just "completes" the look of an SG. It's a good player for sure, nice neck and easy playing fretboard. I initially thought there might be some problems with it staying in tune because of the Maestro, but I have had no troubles at all with that. Once when I had the strings off, I thought the trem on mine might have gotten bent because it seemed like the bar was sitting up too high, but I think it was mostly my eyes playing tricks on me because I was looking at it without the tension from the strings. Forum member jcwillow has a cherry G400 '65 reissue with Maestro and he helped me out with pics of how his looked.

I don't use the Maestro all that much while playing, but I have definitely given it a workout on more than one occasion and mine stays in tune great. It's pretty sturdy. Now I don't go crazy trying to do 'dive bombs' with it or anything, but that's not what it's made for. Changing strings is easy as hell too.

I should mention that I replaced the plastic Epiphone nut on mine with a Graphtech Tusq nut as soon as I got the guitar. I changed the switch tip to a white one just because I'm picky and it matched the new nut. The only thing I plan on changing now is to swap out the Grover D-shaped tuners for some vintage style Klusons. The stock Grovers work fine, I just think the old school tuners would look better on it.

Anyway, I love mine and I love the look of that Pelham Blue one too. For the money I don't think you can go wrong. Here's mine (well part of it):

SGtrem.jpg

Beautiful guitar, Mike. Love the black and gold. I was on track to buy a used Korina SG with an added Maestro, that was on eBay last week. I prefer the Maestro over the Bigsby, both in looks and use, especially on an SG. When I bought my Gibson SG back in the late 60's, it came with one and I foolishly pulled it and installed a Bigsby. My new Korina should be here tomorrow. I didn't buy the used one because the tail piece holes were plugged in sort of a ham-handed way and it would have bugged me looking a gobs of wood filler.

A few years ago, I saw an Epiphone SG Custom to which someone had added a Maestro--you could see the holes where the stopbar studs had been removed. Worked fine and stayed in tune as long as you didn't get too crazy with it. Keeping the saddles and nut lubed with a little graphite really helps. My first good electric guitar was a '67 Gibson SG Standard that I bought new--I had some tuning issues with it, but I didn't know about keeping it lubricated back then. In the '80's I acquired a '65 Standard, and it stayed in tune fine. I like the Maestro--when they're properly set up they work well, and nothing looks cooler on an SG! And it's way easier to change strings on a Maestro than it is on a Bigsby.

I had one of the white 3 pickup Les Paul models with the Maestro tremolo. Didn't care for how high up the trem bar sat and 3 pickups just plain sounded bad.

Very well made guitar, had the bound fretboard and I put Grover tuners (18:1) on it and that really stabalized the tuning issues I was having.

I was ready to disconnect the middle pickup and rewire it like a plain old SG but sold it.

Now that I think of it, I believe Supersonic 101 has a black one with gold hardware, could be someone else though, can't remember wether or not he replied to the other thread, but I'd think they're the same git with a different finish...

Thanks LSAR appreciate it.I am amazed how well the Epiphone play and sound best bang for the buck that I have found. Which as of yet I haven't spent more than 1500 for one guitar maybe when you spend 2000 the quality is there. I have some with lace pups some hot noisless pups just seems to me the Eps are coming closer to the sound I'm looking for THANKS again

Thanx for all the info supersonic helped a lot. I have bars on some of my strats but really like you say do not use them all that much. Jeff Beck uses them a lot unbelievable at times. Some Heart songs and even Amazing Grace but just not dominant in what I play. Never really played a SG mostly strats LP's Seagulls, Martins ,Takemine just recently been on a buying binge In Epiphones since I bought a Nighthawk . Gave away and Epi accouistic to my nephew years ago. Really impressed with the electrics though . I appreciate you taking time to respond appreciate it . That black with Gold is awesome first one I have seen.

A few years ago, I saw an Epiphone SG Custom to which someone had added a Maestro--you could see the holes where the stopbar studs had been removed. Worked fine and stayed in tune as long as you didn't get too crazy with it. Keeping the saddles and nut lubed with a little graphite really helps. My first good electric guitar was a '67 Gibson SG Standard that I bought new--I had some tuning issues with it, but I didn't know about keeping it lubricated back then. In the '80's I acquired a '65 Standard, and it stayed in tune fine. I like the Maestro--when they're properly set up they work well, and nothing looks cooler on an SG! And it's way easier to change strings on a Maestro than it is on a Bigsby.

Thanx for the tip jfine as of yet most of my tuning problems have been on accoustics does that help them?

dani--on an acoustic, the nut would be the spot to lubricate. As the strings aren't being pushed and pulled by a vibrato tailpiece, they won't hang up as much. A little graphite (pencil lead works great) in the grooves on the nut should do the trick. You could also use one of the commercially available products like Big Bends Nut Sauce or GHS' Graphitall--the key is to use just a little bit. If you still have tuning problems after that, you might check the tuners, and look for any loose parts, or it could be the way the strings are installed--loose bridge pins could cause a lot of trouble, and make sure your strings are properly stretched out. If all else fails, take it to a good tech.

I've got one and I love it. The neck on mine is a little chunkier than the Gibson SG I had back in the '80s, but still very playable. I use the Maestro all the time. I have no problem keeping it in tune. I had my tech file the saddles so I didn't put a roller bridge on mine. I have several guitars with Bigsbys and a few Strats with trems, I like a trem. I will have to say that I like the feel of the Maestro over any of the other trems I have or have ever used before.

I did put a set of Gibson Burstbuckers in it and changed all of the electronics. The electronics are the weak link for Epis. I also put a set of Grover Deluxe Green Keystone tuners on it for the aesthetics. The stock tuners worked fine, I just liked the looks of the Green Keystones better. About the only downside in mine is the lack of sustain, as comparing it to a Les Paul.

G-400net1.jpg

Burstbuckers-Full.jpg

I've got one and I love it. The neck on mine is a little chunkier than the Gibson SG I had back in the '80s, but still very playable. I use the Maestro all the time. I have no problem keeping it in tune. I had my tech file the saddles so I didn't put a roller bridge on mine. I have several guitars with Bigsbys and a few Strats with trems, I like a trem. I will have to say that I like the feel of the Maestro over any of the other trems I have or have ever used before.

I did put a set of Gibson Burstbuckers in it and changed all of the electronics. The electronics are the weak link for Epis. I also put a set of Grover Deluxe Green Keystone tuners on it for the aesthetics. The stock tuners worked fine, I just liked the looks of the Green Keystones better. About the only downside in mine is the lack of sustain, as comparing it to a Les Paul.

G-400net1.jpg

Burstbuckers-Full.jpg

That's one truly beautiful SG you've got there!

I just saw a Pelham blue SG with Maestro at Sam Ash. It was unpacked on Oct. 11 nonetheless the maestro had fingerprints that were permanent...rusted on, and the guitar had some strange blems, noticeable glue runs and bent plastic parts due to misaligned screws. Totally unexcited about that one, maybe eventually I'll see a better one.

It was factory 20 which I believe is Unsung China. They still can't compare to Unsung Korea. Unsung Korea would not have let that blemmed out SG exit through its doors.

I've played 4 Epi maestro SG's (2 red, 1 black, and 1 white). The wood on all of them was hard and heavy, evidently so they'd be more rigid for the vibrato bar, so nothing would come loose down the road. All were 9-10 lbs, normal weight for an LP. Beautiful guitars. They're out of production now?

• 11 months later...

The guitar plays great. I've owned one since the cherry finish ones came out in 05. Neck feels great, not to meaty but not too thin, perfect profile for my style. The pickups were okay but I replaced them with some Gibson ones. I just posted the guitar on ebay, but I'm sure going to miss it. Anyone else have one of these things?

Yes, here! Got also the black/gold one. Strangely, the Maestro at mine goes to the very bottom of the guitar over the strap pin, like a Bigsby B7 f.e.

The original Epi pups sound great, especially the bridge one's damn hot. I'll switch to the original Gibson's nontheless ;)

The trembar is pretty loose and does not stay in position I left it, so I'll let fix this together with the pups switch ^^

Great guitar, feels great, plays really nicely and for sure it's a real eye catcher [thumbup]

Archived