Gibson Brands Forums

Guild guitars since Fender buyout..

Gibson Artist

Now, im sure most of you are well aware that Fender bought out Guild in the 90s and took the manufacturing of Guild Guitars out of my home state of rhode island, but i have a serious question that id like opinions on. Has anyone here tried the usa Guild's since they started re making them in Conn? Everyone i talk to keeps singing the praises of the acoustics made in Westerly and saying they'll never be as good as they were in Westerly?? Im not sure i buy that, both places, ri and conn made were/are making quality guitars, the question is do you think Fender has let some of the quality down abit?

I once played a Guild 12 string that was produced around 1980 and it played like magic, does anyone familiar with the old/new believe they were better then or is this just spite at the fact they moved?

Everyone i talk to keeps singing the praises of the acoustics made in Westerly and saying they'll never be as good as they were in Westerly?? Im not sure i buy that, both places, ri and conn made were/are making quality guitars, the question is do you think Fender has let some of the quality down abit?

I have two Fender era Guilds, a New Hartford F-512 and a Tacoma F-40. I also own several Westerly models and one Hoboken (F-212). I have also played several other New Hartford models and think that the guitars coming out of the Connecticut shop are every bit as well made and playing as the Westerly era models.

Brad

I've had some Guilds over the years, going back to the 70s. When Fender moved some of the production to CA there was a lot of talk about lower quality. Then some of the production was moved to WA and the quality took a jump - I purchased a Tacoma built 2007 F412 and while sampling Guilds during that buying process, I thought the Tacoma builds were very good. The sound and playability were very good, but not quite comparable to what Guild had coming out of Westerly. I think Fender has become more committed to improving the build quality of the USA Guilds. I haven't yet sampled any from Conn, but I would guess they're pretty good, possibly moving closer to that Westerly pinnacle. I've got a Westerly built 1998 X-700, an archtop with a solid carved spruce top - it's superb. Here's a little eye candy -

GuildF412md.jpg

96GuildX-700md.jpg

The biggest "hit," I noticed, was the loss of so many models!

Have they (Fender/Guild) rememdied that, yet? The 2 jumbo

12-strings, I played in my dealer's store, were outstanding! ....

No. . Unfortunately, Fender discontinued all the Guild electric solid body and hollow/semi-hollow body models and hasn't brought them back. . <_<

No. . Unfortunately, Fender discontinued all the Guild electric solid body and hollow/semi-hollow body models and hasn't brought them back. . <_<

That's unfortunate, IMHO. Odd, too...since they could be a decent alternative,

(and no real "threat" to Fender's own products, in the process), to Fender's other

competitor's product offerings.

CB

I've had some Guilds over the years, going back to the 70s. When Fender moved some of the production to CA there was a lot of talk about lower quality. Then some of the production was moved to WA and the quality took a jump - I purchased a Tacoma built 2007 F412 and while sampling Guilds during that buying process, I thought the Tacoma builds were very good. The sound and playability were very good, but not quite comparable to what Guild had coming out of Westerly. I think Fender has become more committed to improving the build quality of the USA Guilds. I haven't yet sampled any from Conn, but I would guess they're pretty good, possibly moving closer to that Westerly pinnacle. I've got a Westerly built 1998 X-700, an archtop with a solid carved spruce top - it's superb. Here's a little eye candy -

Kahune, lovely guitars mate, and didnt Fender get bought out in the 60s? I kind of remember there being this thing where collectors like the pre something models of fender more than the later ones??

Thanks.

And yes, in 1965 Leo sold the Fender Guitar to CBS (Columbia Broadcasting System) for $13 million. Then in 1975 Leo founded Music Man, and later in the 70s Leo founded the G&L. So what you mention is some collectors look for the pre-CBS Fender instruments.

Thanks.

And yes, in 1965 Leo sold the Fender Guitar to CBS (Columbia Broadcasting System) for $13 million. Then in 1975 Leo founded Music Man, and later in the 70s Leo founded the G&L. So what you mention is some collectors look for the pre-CBS Fender instruments.

Hell, some collectors look for post CBS as well.

Hell, some collectors look for post CBS as well.

You mean my NBC Strat and ABC Teles are fakes ??? [confused] [confused] [confused] .....

Anyways, I'm glad the concensus on today's Guilds is generally "good quality", as IMHO, Fender acoustics aren't very good........

.... IMHO, Fender acoustics aren't very good........

Fender has been set in the low end acoustic market for quite some time. Virtually all of the offerings are much less than the $700 retail price point - they've only got two acoustics that sell for over $1000.

My old '70s Guild S100c SG type is an exceptional instrument. Actually if you reeeeally do a feel on the neck it's not "perfect," but in terms of playability, I think it is.

Ain't had the courage to even consider anything from Guild after Fender took it.

OTOH, I have two Epi AEs. I love the less expensive one and need a lot of messing with the Masterbilt before I bond with it, I think. Quality overall is fine - it just ain't set up to be "my" guitar yet.

m

My old '70s Guild S100c SG type is an exceptional instrument. Actually if you reeeeally do a feel on the neck it's not "perfect," but in terms of playability, I think it is.

Ain't had the courage to even consider anything from Guild after Fender took it.

OTOH, I have two Epi AEs. I love the less expensive one and need a lot of messing with the Masterbilt before I bond with it, I think. Quality overall is fine - it just ain't set up to be "my" guitar yet.

m

Ive perspnally never tried the masterbuilts but the hummingbird and dove are both great for the price. I was tempted to try the ej 200 or the john lennon model. The 200 ive seen at guitar center and it was a very striking guitar to see, i didnt have time to play it that day but im considering it.

Actually the PR5e AE has not only worked well for me after some neck adjustment for my preferred veeery light strings, it's also gotten some very nice words for its sound through a PA by some pros in the music vid industry. The trick, I think, is the setup and not playing "hard" but keeping my "back bedroom" relaxed pickin' regardless. It's awfully nice for under $400 bucks with a new hard case.

I think Epi has some nice stuff out there at darned decent prices. I've gotta admit it'd take somebody pushing a theft-level price on much of anything else to convince me there's something better at Epi price points. Yeah, there's better, but...

m

I bought a Guild 12 string recently and have to say that it is wonderful. The action is incredible. The sound is heavenly. I have yet to see anyone who has tried it and not found it to be the finest 12 they have ever played.

Lucky me.

Dave

I bought a Guild 12 string recently and have to say that it is wonderful. The action is incredible. The sound is heavenly. I have yet to see anyone who has tried it and not found it to be the finest 12 they have ever played.

Lucky me.

Dave

I had one in my hands at L and M this past summer and the sound feel of the Guild 12 string blew me away.Amazing guitar.

Lucky me.

Dave

Good to know Dave.........I trust your judgement.........[thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup] ......

Archived