Gibson Brands Forums

Going to see Mr. Frampton tonight.

Searcy

Ok, I have to admit that my wife is a huge Frampton fan and that's the real reason we went to the show. I expected him to do a good set and all that and he did. But I have to tell you, this guy is far better then I ever gave him credit for.

IMG_20111022_201653.jpg

This show in Nashville last night was the last show in this leg of the Frampton Comes Alive 35 tour where he played his epic 1976 live album from start to finish. He and the band then take a short break and then come back out and do a second entire set of his newer work. It's a 3 hour show all together. At the end of the show you can buy a copy of the show you just saw on CD.

He's now headed off to Europe.

IMG_20111022_210934.jpg

He played the Black Beauty a good bit as expected. At each show he has been auctioning off some of his guitars that were destroyed in the flood for a charity that helps Nashville musicians that lost all their gear in the flood buy new stuff. The two he auctioned off last night were a Martin D and the very first prototype of the Gibson Frampton signature Black Beauty. As he told the story of that guitar and how much it and all of his Gibsons had meant to him a guy screamed out "FREE GIBSON!!!" and the crowd went wild.

IMG_20111022_202420.jpg

IMG_20111022_220747.jpg

IMG_20111022_220615.jpg

We expect to see Peter with the Black 3 pickup Les Paul but he switched up a lot more than I expected. For acoustic stuff he played a Martin. He played a Burst Les Paul a lot. He also played 2 different 335s, a burst and a cherry and I was surprised to see him play a very old and ragged out cherry SG during the second set of the night. He also played a Hank Marvin Fender Strat for one song.

Believe it or not, even though it was Peter Frampton playing all these guitars each of them sounded very different. Weird. [biggrin]

Good show.

• 4 weeks later...

I didn't think much of Adam Lester. He played lots of bum notes in the duel bit. Plus Peter kept going to the side of the stage taking tablets with water between songs. He may not be well if he has to do that. Was he doing this at your gig?

Archived