Gibson Brands Forums

First Time Looking for a New Set of Strings

Dev n Music

Hey! I wanted to know whats the standard type of stings for my Les Paul S2? I got it used so I know little about it compared to the next guy so to speak.

Also does it matter if I choose an alternative metal like bronze, gold, steel, silver, titanium etc. thanks for the help!!

P.S. what are you re-stringing methods? Is there a proper way to do it that doesnt snap the string easily?

Hey! I wanted to know whats the standard type of stings for my Les Paul S2? I got it used so I know little about it compared to the next guy so to speak.

Also does it matter if I choose an alternative metal like bronze, gold, steel, silver, titanium etc. thanks for the help!!

P.S. what are you re-stringing methods? Is there a proper way to do it that doesnt snap the string easily?

1) Standard type of string? I don't know what that means. Do you mean the string gauge? The string brand?

2) Yes. The coating on strings can vary in feel and price.

3) It would be too difficult to explain here. There are a million websites, and videos on the internet that show how to do this.

4) No

You'll need to buy electric guitar strings. There are lots of choices. For a simple starter check out the Ernie Ball Slinkys (nickel plated steel). 10 guage are probably the most common and the best place for a newbie to start. After you get comfortable with things you can research lots of string choices. I've been playing for over 40 years & I always come back to the nickel plated steel 10 guage strings. They're by far the most popular for a reason.

Good Luck

1) Standard type of string? I don't know what that means. Do you mean the string gauge? The string brand?

2) Yes. The coating on strings can vary in feel and price.

3) It would be too difficult to explain here. There are a million websites, and videos on the internet that show how to do this.

4) No

I did mean gauge when I said size, [rolleyes] ops. As long as there reputable brand doesn't matter. (Just to completely anoying I think having gold strings or dark red (though I'm not sure what kind of metal I'd need for that [confused] ) strings would be cool.)

Another Ernie Ball strings user here, been using them for as long as I can remember....am sure there may be better strings, but they're in my comfort zone - am comfortable with the way they play, easily available, and very consistent in quality (been playing for 43+ years, having used EB's most of that time....Slinky's on the LP, Super Slinky's on the BMG (which has a 24" scale and a Wilkinson vibrola, making her a SUPER super slinky playing guit :) )

You'll need to buy electric guitar strings. There are lots of choices. For a simple starter check out the Ernie Ball Slinkys (nickel plated steel). 10 guage are probably the most common and the best place for a newbie to start. After you get comfortable with things you can research lots of string choices. I've been playing for over 40 years & I always come back to the nickel plated steel 10 guage strings. They're by far the most popular for a reason.

Good Luck

You seem cool enough so I'll take your word for it. It helps that two other said the same thing. I'm dirt scratch new to this to the more info the better, lol

Scroll down page about 1/2 way:

http://www.easiestwayguitar.com/easiest-guitar/guitar-basics-changing-your-guitar-strings-headstock

Willy

P.S. I usually start with the peg holes sideways. I then run the strings from the center of the headstock, through the hole toward the outside. I leave some slack, and then around the top of the peg and under the string as the diagram shows.

Also, I don't like peg winders. If you use one make sure you don't scratch or scar your headstock.

LPs come with gauge 10s as standard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGLMy6DbpBc&feature=related

ya you don't need to interlock guitar strings at the post if you use the 3 fingers or whatever your method is as long as you get 2 1/2 - 3 wraps on the wound strings and 4-6 on the nonwound ones. Plus they are easier to take off..........do what Bill Baker says and you'll be fine.

Archived