Gibson Brands Forums

Desert Island Guitar

TinyBabyBrandon

If you guys could only have one guitar and one amp, FOR-EV-ER, what would you go with? It's had to decide, but for amps I would have to go with my 1966 Fender Pro Reverb, it's awesome. But for guitar, whew! I just don't know...I've been thinking about this and I think I would need something ultra versatile, so probably some incarnation of a 335 or 345. Maybe the hallowed (for me anyway) 1960 335 VOS, barring that it's everything I would hope it would be. And it would have to have the VOS finish and be in sunburst. Gotta love the tortoise side dot markers! What say you forum?!

If you were on a desert island, you probably wouldn't have any power source, so you'd just be staring at your useless guitar and amp. Desert island= Gibson acoustic= J-45 forever. [biggrin]

(and yeah, I have have several ES-335's)

If you were on a desert island, you probably wouldn't have any power source, so you'd just be staring at your useless guitar and amp. Desert island= Gibson acoustic= J-45 forever. [biggrin]

(and yeah, I have have several ES-335's)

](*,)[-(#-o[confused][cursing]

:-k

J/W

If you guys could only have one guitar and one amp, FOR-EV-ER, what would you go with?

I'm totally in love with my 1962 Epiphone Sheraton that I got about a year ago, but there's no way around it... my favorite guitar of all time, which I've had for 21 years, is still my '63 Gibson L5CT(ES):

DSCN3415.jpg

Around the same time I got that guitar, I got a reissue '59 tweed Bassman, and that's easily been my favorite amp ever since. I wish it was lighter (I'm not getting any younger ;)), but I can't bring myself to get a smaller amp. Just love the sound too much.

Desert Island with no power would have to be a short scale AJ hand made by Ren

Desert Island with maybe solar power, would be a 339 and Gibson GA-30RV amp or Mesa Blue Angel

You will allways GAS for something else, no matter how big your collection. Youll always hear a song and think I want that sound or guitar too! there are just too many nice guitars Id like to have that are all so different and sound different.

Im still growing with my 137. I love the tones and the feel and since I bought it ive improved so much at playing ive fallen in love with it again. Ive played with the setup a dozen times and just keep being able to make it play better and better. I feel like theres loads more stuff I can do with this guitar.

Half the time, it's not the guitar thats wrong, it's the player! Fully bond with it and become accomplished at making it orgasm lol

What or who is "REN"? I see it mentioned a lot on here. T

Ren Ferguson is the Master Luthier at the Gibson Acoustic Custom Shop in Bozeman, MT.

A fantastic person and always willing to discuss guitars with you.

I am proud to call him a friend.

Assuming electricity, even if it occasionally went out as likely on a desert island, the 175 and if I could get it back and have a supply of tubes to last as long as I'm likely to, the old Deluxe Reverb.

Strictly acoustic? Ain't there yet. Still messing with the concept. Probably a Gibbie with a cutaway like the Songwriter Deluxe Studio EC. <grin> If it's AE, that might be nice if I had an amp and the electricity came on. I haven't owned a non AE since before '72.

The '50s Gibbie flattop with the Florentine cutaway, the CF-100e... A friend has one and regardless what the book says, it sounds awfully nice to me electric with the p90 mag pickup. Maybe not so much in a bigger venue, I dunno. The model was dropped in '59. #@$%@#$% I keep wondering about a redo with some sort of piezo or whatever...

After playing at his at a cowboy music gathering, I fell in love with the geometry of the thing. So far the closest I've found to it is the cheapie Epi PR5e; and the geometry is just about perfect to me as a picker as was the old CF. It just lacks the ... power (???) depth (???) of that old CF-100e. Oddly the closest current Gibson for general feel in terms of geometry is the 175. Hmmm.

Unfortunately the only CF one I'm aware of ain't never gonna be for sale. So... that Songwriter cutaway? It's bigger... so would it feel so good?

m

Archived