Gibson Brands Forums

Damn fakes!!

Tim Plains

I found this ad on kijiji.ca

http://hamilton.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-musical-instruments-Gibson-Custom-Zakk-Wylde-Signature-Les-Paul-Guitar-Bulls-eye-W0QQAdIdZ81131518

"Gibson Custom Zakk Wylde Signature Les Paul Guitar- Bulls eye Price: $2,999.00

This is an amazing guitar. It retails for over $5,000. I am asking for $2,999 Or Best Offer!!"

I emailed the guy and asked for pics thinking it was a fake because he didn't include actual pictures of the guitar...he's local. What do you think?

ZakkWylde2.jpg

zakkwylde4.jpg

zakkwylde3.jpg

I already forwarded the email to Gibson...I hate these guys, they're scum!

I just emailed the guy back.

"Nice guitar, are you available on Tuesday night? Give me your address and I’ll come by to have a look at it."

If he bits and gives me his address, I'm sending it to Gibson, as well. Did I mention I hate these guys? If I don't do it, somebody is going to lose a lot of money.

I think you're right Tim' date=' the logo and the shield should be pearl not white.[/quote']

It's the size of the logo, also.

Yep' date=' the headstock looks all wrong. The diamond is too small.

Ill go with you Tim...[/quote']

Who gets the guitar after we beat him within an inch of his life?

I think we coulda convinced him he was nuts... ](*' date=') [/quote']

Too late, I'm already nuts...

What about the picture of the back showing the headstock joining the neck about an inch or two down from the headstock. Looks like two different wood types or graining. Is that normal for the real thing?

Good eye! I didn't even catch that until you said it.

That's the joint where the head is glued onto the neck. Common on guitars.

On a high end Gibson such as this, the neck and head stock are made from a single piece of wood.

Good eye! I didn't even catch that until you said it.

That's the joint where the head is glued onto the neck. Common on guitars.

On a high end Gibson such as this' date=' the neck and head stock are made from a single piece of wood. [/quote']

Yeah... kinda thought so. I know my LP is a one piece neck but I thought just maybe Mr. Zaak specified two piece with different woods... what do I know!! I guess it show's that the fakers are using some pretty bad wood. could be a hard wood like maple but that wouldn't seem right for a LP... would likely make it a little too bright. I feel sorry for anybody who buy's things like that. they would be stuck with it.

HP

The volume and tone controls don't seem to be properly aligned either.

Good eye! Look at where the real volume lines up with the stopbar tailpiece of a real one here http://www.musiciansfriend.com/document?cpd=0OEY&doc_id=99371&base_pid=517124&index=3 and compare it to the fake one. It's clearly not even close.

Hey Tim, tell us how you really feel about these guys! OK, I hate them too. They are getting tougher to spot though...

Looks like the seller has already changed the picture to what looks like the same pic at Musicians friend.

Wow, the seller did that just two minutes ago. Maybe he/she is reading this forum! Well, I'm glad to see it's real now!! What a relief...

Wow' date=' the seller did that just two minutes ago. Maybe he/she is reading this forum![/quote']

Maybe he/she is a member on this forum???

Hey Tim, you want to drive yourself nuts? Try kijiji in Montreal. Every day I check five different used sites in Ottawa, then kijiji and craigslist for Toronto and Montreal (since I'm halfway between). In almost two years of checking all these sites daily, I've found one or two fakes in Toronto, three or four in Ottawa, but I see three or four fakes A WEEK in Montreal. And of the few that I've seen advertised in Ottawa, the seller is actually located in Montreal anyway.

Some of them advertise them as copies and some try to pass them off as the real thing. I've emailed a couple of sellers that advertise them as fakes to let them know it's illegal to even possess counterfeit goods, let alone sell them. I get replies telling me that in Montreal, the music stores and pawn shops are full of them.

Looks like the seller has already changed the picture to what looks like the same pic at Musicians friend.

No...actually' date=' that picture has been in the ad all along, it's a picture off the net. The three pictures I posted initially were emailed to me upon request.

Some of them advertise them as copies and some try to pass them off as the real thing. I've emailed a couple of sellers that advertise them as fakes to let them know it's illegal to even possess counterfeit goods' date=' let alone sell them.[/quote']

Is it actually illegal to possess these fakes in Canada? I know it is in the US.

It's one thing to try and pass one off as legit, that's fraud...but possession too?

Archived