Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson QC....

outtahere

I gotta ask - why keep it and not exchange it for another? Threads about Gibson's QC always make me laugh. If you've actually owned 100 guitars, you've been around for a long, long time. Do you not remember how horrible Gibson's QC was in the '70s & '80s? They've been releasing substandard crap for 40 years now and it still seems like it's news to people. If you're not satisfied with something, don't keep it and stick it to the manufacturer by not handing giving them your money - plain and simple.

Oh, and only Gibson Custom Is Good Enough. [biggrin]

I have come across a few Custom Shop guitars that had issues (mainly minor) and many I just didn't like the sound of, but overall, they are excellent guitars that don't cost as much as you think. Gibson USA still pumps out incredible guitars but you have to either get lucky or search for them.

Many companies have some QC problems......The worst Gibby QC stories end up posted here, and sure, there have been some doozies......

However, GCS has always resolved these.....Heck, one member had severe ongoing probs with noise and grounding issues with his

Alex Lifeson LP.....In trying to fix it, a non Gibby tech ended up removing a bit of the finish....Gibson refinished the entire top, for free.........

That's good customer service..........(They also fixed the noise and grounding probs as well)..........

Guest Farnsburger

Another QC thread, must have been at least a week. Gibson QC may or may not be a problem but they definitely have one of the best CS teams in the world so if you buy a guitar and have an issue, get in touch with them. If you bought online, return it, if you bought a guitar in a shop that you weren't happy with then more fool you but Gibson CS will probably still bend over backwards for you.

Remember too, that not ALL QC problems are with Gibson. Some of the vendors, are

at least AS responsible, in that regard. Either by not checking them, to begin with,

or..damaged, or parts loosened in shipping, selling "store demo's" as "Mint" new, etc.

Find a good dealer, and I can about guarantee the QC problems, will vanish, as they will

take care of that, before they put them out, for sale. The most recent Gibson (LP Classic

Custom) I bought, was/is "flawless!" But, my dealer carefully checks all their guitars,

prior to placing them out, for sale.

So...

CB

I have had pure pleasure from purchasing Gibson guitars...as I have with Fender and other brands

Some bought over the interthing unseen but rigorously checked by the dealer

Others, like my cherished 335, supplied over the counter by a favourite shop

There are 1000's of satisfied customers out there.....

V

:-({|=

We shouldn't have to return the guitar for a replacement. They should come off the production line at a certain quality standard.

If Gibson USA can't do it, then they should contract the Japanese to build guitars for them.

I've owned quite a few Gibsons, all of them had issues. We really are just paying for the name and maybe the tone.

In a perfect world, that's true. But, in most assembly line, mass produced manufacturing,

there are going to be some, that "get away!" I've had just the opposite experience, more

often than not. All of the Gibson guitars (save one), I've purchased," have been top drawer,

in all around quality. Even the 2, that (against my better instincts) I purchased "on line,"

from MF, were flawless! Even the 1, that had a "problem," was only slight, regarding the

finish. It was easily fixed. So...???

CB

All kidding aside, I wonder if we'd hear any such tales at all were the buyer to have the opportunity to pick up his new guit right at the end of the assembly line.

I'm convinced more "stuff" happens than we want to think about en route. That definitely includes neck bow.

I do have mixed emotions of severe neck bowing because one the must wonder whether the wood had either been appropriately cured or appropriately carved for the purpose given the nature of the individual piece.

m

Guest Farnsburger

To clear up some things: This is not a CS guitar. It's a limited to 300 pcs (?) Firebird NR Studio. I wanted this badly. I live in The Netherlands. The guitar is not in any shop over here to try out, so I mail ordered it from Germany, thinking these 300 pcs (worldwide) would probably sell quickly. The guitar's issues can hopefully all be fixed by myself. I just wanted to point out that I shouldn't have to be doing any work to a new guitar to begin with.

I'm sorry to say, but over the last 25 years, the 'great' guitars I've had were Asian (Matsumoku anyone?). To relief Gibson a bit: I had an SD Curlee once, which resembled a piece of railroad timber :blink: :blink:

You don't have to fix it. Gibson have given you a warranty, you have chosen not to use it.

Well, frankly...I'd like to see Gibson, adopt more of a "Rickenbacker" like approach.

You want one, you wait, until it's completed in the best possible form. Get back to

making guitars, that made Gibson famous. More a boutique approach, maybe. But, like

Fender, if to a lesser degree, they're churning them out, in record numbers, instead.

But, God forbid...we should/could "wait" for anything, anymore. LOL We're all so

Friggin' spoiled...."Rotten, Rotten, Rotten!" (Smile)

CB

To clear up some things: This is not a CS guitar. It's a limited to 300 pcs (?) Firebird NR Studio. I wanted this badly. I live in The Netherlands. The guitar is not in any shop over here to try out, so I mail ordered it from Germany, thinking these 300 pcs (worldwide) would probably sell quickly. The guitar's issues can hopefully all be fixed by myself. I just wanted to point out that I shouldn't have to be doing any work to a new guitar to begin with.

I'm sorry to say, but over the last 25 years, the 'great' guitars I've had were Asian (Matsumoku anyone?). To relief Gibson a bit: I had an SD Curlee once, which resembled a piece of railroad timber :blink: :blink:

Switch to Epiphone then, as they're the perfect Asian made Gibsons without quality control issues......

Bill Nash is a well respected builder of professional quality relic Strats. His guitars have been praised by a number of reviewers like Tone Quest Report, he knows his stuff, and I agree with him about Gibson QC.

Here's a quote from Bill Nash's website about a number of different guitar companies like Gretsch, Fender, Hamer, and Rickenbacker; and how their products compare to what they were making in the 1950s

"Gibson falls in a mid point as they certainly have been bought and sold many times and moved factories etc, but the end product in most cases has come full circle and in my opinion they make guitars as good if not better than they did in the 50s. This of course depends on model as there are certainly examples of questionable guitars in their line. My only complaint is that the guitars generally need a complete fret dressing and some other mods when they come out of the factory."

Bill Nash is a well respected builder of professional quality relic Strats. His guitars have been praised by a number of reviewers like Tone Quest Report, he knows his stuff, and I agree with him about Gibson QC.

Here's a quote from Bill Nash's website about a number of different guitar companies like Gretsch, Fender, Hamer, and Rickenbacker; and how their products compare to what they were making in the 1950s

"Gibson falls in a mid point as they certainly have been bought and sold many times and moved factories etc, but the end product in most cases has come full circle and in my opinion they make guitars as good if not better than they did in the 50s. This of course depends on model as there are certainly examples of questionable guitars in their line. My only complaint is that the guitars generally need a complete fret dressing and some other mods when they come out of the factory."

Yeah, I tend to agree, on the "Fret dressing" thing, for sure. The Pleking helps, but...there's nothing like a great hand done fret dressing. I just (finally [blush]) got my 2000 LP Classic done, and it's a whole "nuther" guitar, now...in the best playing/feel sense! I can barely put it down, right now.

CB

Gibson will replace a guitar that is flawed, but you as the owner are responsible to ship it back to them, and hope something extra doesn't happen to it. They should cover all return expenses, but don't. On the other hand, out of 7 new Gibson USA guitars that I have owned, only 1 had a problem. The pro's outweigh the con's in my book. They are so damned expensive, yet heavenly.

Archived