Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Explorer Finish Cracks

Ledguitar73

I've seen that on brand new Gibson Explorers hanging on the rack at my local Gibson dealer. Not that that makes it ok mind you. I'd get it checked out if I were you.

Yeah, I'd get it checked out as well.....If it's within the return time, yes.......To me, it doesn't look like structual problem....but.....other opinions would be nice.....

If it were a nitro finish, that would be a different story.........

It's pretty clear that a crack in the finish means severe flex or actual movement of the wood, if it's still under warranty I'd get it in for inspection and they should give you a new one, j.

It doesn't necessarily mean severe movement, just enough to split the finish. (Finish that is like a hard coat of inflexible plastic on Epiphones.) Set neck guitars will do that if you live in a place where there is a great degree of change in the weather between seasons. Unless you live somewhere where the weather doesn't change that much, I wouldn't worry about it.

All of my set-neck guitars are like that, because in Tennessee it's frikkin hot in the Summer, frikkin cold in the Winter, and just downright unpredictable in the Spring and Autumn.

This looks like a finish crack only. If it were a structural issue you should notice your guitar is constantly out of tune, and nearly impossible to tune because the joint would be failing / moving under string tension. The poly finish is hard plastic, and the wood expands and shrinks with temperature and humidity fluctuations. It doesn't take a whole lot to make a crack in the finish. Anyone who has been around guitars for very long has probably owned a guitar or two that has this same issue. :) Fender's crack near their neck pockets, Gibson's crack along the wood / binding seams, Ovations crack their tops behind the bridges......and many Gibson's and Epiphone's form these cracks around the neck joint. Nature of the beast my friend!

Well, after personally spraying 1000's of gallons of lacquer on 10's of thousands of board feet of lumber, I'd think if the finish is cracked - the wood moved.

It's pretty straightforward to me but perhaps the experience of others is different, that's what's great about forums - you get every opinion, not just one and you can make an informed decision.

I look forward to hearing how a finish cracks (at the joint) without movement of the substrate...

.....because in Tennessee it's frikkin hot in the Summer, frikkin cold in the Winter, and just downright unpredictable in the Spring and Autumn.

Well, 3 outta 4 ain't bad ;) Having grown up in the Phila PA suburbs, having lived a good amount of time in suburban Detroit, now living in the Foothills o' the Smokies (yes, the hometown of the Foothills Fall Festival....) .... winter here in TN is a walk in the park (unless you actually live in the mtns, I guess) - due to a medical restriction that comes into play from time to time, I've had to ride my bicycle to work for 6 month stretches. Trust me, TN winter is easy-peasy....Out of the places I've lived, Detroit has the longest, sh!ttiest winters....and there are those places that are far worse. I'm tired of cutting 1 acre of grass for several months in sweltering heat/humidity, am glad fall is upon us and winter coming :)

But, yeah, normal seasonal cycles can wreak havoc with guits, for sure. Sorry, HC...just had to add a lil perspective....LOL Detroits summers are just as hot as down here, but it's short...winter is insufferable and gray... I NEED SUNSHINE!!! I love a lot about Maryville (not everything, but that's another story...) :)

IMHO, all the responces are correct.......I have an old Hamer that went through a second story window...[crying] :unsure: [scared] ....

The poly cracked in several areas, including around the neck...So, yeah, the wood under the poly moved,

but the neck and guitar remained and remain STRUCTUALLY SOUND..........Just sayin'.................

Trust me, TN winter is easy-peasy....Out of the places I've lived, Detroit has the longest, sh!ttiest winters....and there are those places that are far worse.

I was born here, so I think it's colder than sumb*tch down here. You couldn't pay me to go up north in the winter, it's cold enough here thank you.

I was born here, so I think it's colder than sumb*tch down here. You couldn't pay me to go up north in the winter, it's cold enough here thank you.

I wouldn't live North of the Tropic of Cancer or South of the Tropic of Capricorn, I love the heat, it's troppo all the way for this little black duck.

I wouldn't live North of the Tropic of Cancer or South of the Tropic of Capricorn, I love the heat, it's troppo all the way for this little black duck.

Lucky you. No sarcasm intended or implied... really, lucky you!

I was born in New Orleans, lived there until I was ten, then relocated with my family to Michigan. RSDx is right... winter up here is brutal, grey, depressing, and looooong. Except for the two years I lived in South Florida, I've been subjected to the Michigan "six months of winter" every year, and I'm STILL not used to it. Must be my southern blood...

Archived