Gibson Brands Forums

What is "Orville" by Gibson........

onewilyfool

Orville by Gibson were high-quality licensed Gibson copies made in Japan for the Japanese market by the Fuji-Gen and Tedera factories. They were made from the early 80's to early 90's, and featured Gibson USA pickups, nitro finishes, and careful craftsmanship and build quality. There was also and Orville brand that, while also high quality, did not feature Gibson USA pick ups or nitro.

The same two factories were later commissioned to build the similar (and sadly mostly discontinued) Epiphone Elitist line for export to the USA throughout much of the 90's.

I have the Elitist version of the J-200, and it's a great guitar. In fact, I have several Elitists, and can say they are very close to if not equal or surpassing of their Gibson counterparts made at the same time. This is very true of the electrics, especially.

Red 333

I never heard of this branch, but as stated in the ad, it must have been named after no one else than the founder of the brand – Mister Orville Gibson, who started up with mandolins in Kalamazoo,1884.

Wonder what he would have thought of the concept.

We see him here down in a near lotus position playing, , , could it be a 12-fret. It's clear the man is on to something cool.

OrvilleHGibson4.jpgWas he really a lefty ?

Btw. Isn't there something cosmically right about Gibson turning the troubled ship in 1984 – 100 years after the very start.

.Im not sure about all the off brands .. are these actually Gibson endorsed Guitars?

The "Orville" was a legit Gibson approved line. As mentioned above, think Epiphone Elitist, and you're in the right ballpark. Of the Elitist acoustic models, the specs appear to indicate that the sides were laminated on the Texan, J45, and L00, while the top & back were solid - except for the J-200, which lists all solid woods. The Orville instruments might be follow a similar pattern.

Archived