Gibson Brands Forums

descending darkness

Guest Farnsbarns

Guest farnsbarns

I've had a really **** time recently and I'm beginning to really feel it. What do you do to pull yourself out of impending depression?

I've had a really **** time recently and I'm beginning to really feel it. What do you do to pull yourself out of impending depression?

Step 1: [difficult] Turn off computer.

Step 2: [if applicable] Put "plug" in "jug".

Step 2: Invite friend over... tell bring instrument.

Step 3: Play music ... commiserate ... play music.

Step 4: Repeat as necessary.

Best of luck. The good news is that you can see it coming. A word to the wise is sufficient.

J/W

[thumbup]

Same here man, some bad times lately, I've tried to cope with it and do as if nothing's happening so the wife (and friends and family) don't have to be worried about me on top of their own worries. :(

Maybe we should form an online jam group and just play 'til late hours of the night.

[unsure] Don't forget... it's the time of the year when Seasonal Affective Disorder can start to set in due to the short daylight hours.

Mrs. J/W is prone to this, and has a special, high-intensity lamp that she shines in her face for a half-hour upon awakening each day. [she now looks like a 108-year-old Navajo lady, but she's not depressed about it!] [laugh]

If you can't jam, another outlet that's good for a chuckle is to spend an hour or two down to the mall "floating blimps". It's great fun, and releases a lot of pent-up frustrations! [i don't use the light, but I float blimps on a regular basis! I highly recommend the practise!] =D>

Regards,

J/W

[thumbup]

On top of what others have said, maybe take look at your diet. I seem to get badly depressed when I deny myself carbohydrates. I thought it was just a bunch of bunk until I googled it one day.

That IS another excellent point, Jantha. As well as food groups, also consider what you may be sensitive to in terms of preservatives, additives, and food colors.

[if you are careful while you're YOUNG, you can look as good as ME, as you age, ever so slowly, ever so gracefully!][see pic]

J/W

[thumbup]

I recognise the early signs of my occasional dips into darkness. I find long walks or vigorous exercise helpful. You get a bit of a lift doing it, and you knacker yourself out. The resulting rest period always chills me out a bit.

All the best.

For f***s sake, don't try r***g**n.

I recognise the early signs of my occasional dips into darkness. I find long walks or vigorous exercise helpful. You get a bit of a lift doing it, and you knacker yourself out. The resulting rest period always chills me out a bit.

All the best.

For f***s sake, don't try r***g**n.

[confused] What the f*** is "r***g**n"? [confused]

[This is gonna drive me NUTS!]

J/W

:blink:

real depression or just "fed up at the moment" depression, real depression is a biatch...speaking from experience :(

Here's a freebie which works....

Start the car and drive to Whitstable

Park up and enjoy the harbour area

Walk along the prom to Herne Bay

Purchase fish'n chips....sit facing the sea eating same

Walk back to Whitstable marvelling at the windfarm

Return suitably refreshed.....

V

:-({|=

[unsure] Don't forget... it's the time of the year when Seasonal Affective Disorder can start to set in due to the short daylight hours.

Absolutely!

Charlie,

I remind myself too (when dark patches come) that they have come many times before and have come and gone and the current one will also go in the same way [thumbup] Allowing yourself to realise that there is nothing you can do about the dark spell but roll with it; is actually very weirdly comforting in itself - as you let go and become relaxed...

I am sorry you are feeling blue [unsure]

Matt

I've always had two things I've felt sure in falling back on. Music, and books. If I am feeling particularly terrible, I'll just play for hours on end (and into the early morning) for no apparent reason, with no goal, just to allow myself to breathe. It is the only way I know how to release emotions, or to calm the unsteady waters of my mind. I'm socially inept to an extreme, typing it out and being able to edit it (like I do here) helps... but it's never the same as playing.

Besides that, I fold myself into a good book. Though, admittedly, that sometimes proves counterproductive at first. It's strangely hard for me to find a book that doesn't invoke some strangely sad revelation before, after further consideration, I can think upon it brightly.

Though I guess you could count walking my dog, wandering off in the countryside (I live in a relatively rural area so it's not hard to find a place where nobody else dwells), or anything like that...

Life sucks something awful at times, but it could be worse couldn't it? I just try to keep moving, though I don't trust other people to help me up.

“Yet it is in this loneliness that the deepest activities begin. It is here that you discover act without motion, labor that is profound repose, vision in obscurity, and, beyond all desire, a fulfillment whose limits extend to infinity”

Thomas Merton

Archived