Gibson Brands Forums

The DIY thread

Dub-T-123

No, he didn't mean it in a bad way but you once said to him that he should mix the knobs because of all his guitar pedals were just bare and with the same knobs.

LOL!!! I think it was surfpup that made that statement... He recommended getting some cool knobs from mammoth.com, which I did, and purchase a bunch of different knobs. I didn't think nothing of it and thank surfpup for it. I thought it looked cool having different knobs on pedals.

Well, I did all your suggestions here also. I just made this Fuzz face clone. Which knob combo would look cool?

img0747vf.jpg

By bluesguitar65 at 2012-07-13

img0748xp.jpg

img0749er.jpg

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LOL!!! I think it was surfpup that made that statement... He recommended getting some cool knobs from mammoth.com, which I did, and purchase a bunch of different knobs. I didn't think nothing of it and thank surfpup for it. I thought it looked cool having different knobs on pedals.

It was me. Though I didn't suggest different knobs on the same pedal, just better looking ones. Putting those BYOC knobs on your great looking pedals was like granny nipples on a hot lady. Blasphemous! [flapper]

BTW, I think the plain silver knobs look best on that Fuzz Face size wise. The ones with the silver flange and the black pointer look great if they are not too big. Hard to tell.

As for those Fry enclosures - very cool looking. Need a 1950s space theme for those! [thumbup] I have some retro looking enclosures from Weber that I am going to do that way.

As what Albert Collins would say, "Yes we is" [thumbup]

Hey Dubs, what do you think of this enclosure I got from Fry's. Thinking tone bender or super fuzz??? Whatcha think?

img0750bu.jpg

img0751ui.jpg

That enclosure looks awesome! It's definitely asking for a mojo'd out ToneBender. I've seen those at Frys too and I always want to get one.

As for the knobs, I like the aluminum ones. Smallbear has a much better selection of knobs than mammoth btw.

Anyways, I've already got everything I need to build a couple really cool overdrives so those are next on my list, but after that I was thinking of making a Wampler Ecstasy or Wampler Pinnacle clone. Which would you choose? They both look really cool.

I've seen those at Frys too and I always want to get one.

Are they an "in store only" item? I just checked their site but couldn't find them.

Those are cool looking enclosures...There are similar ones available through Mouser but they are kind of pricey.

I wish we had a Fry... or something like it. I just got back from our Radio Shack. All I needed was a 1k linear pot... nope. Now I have to wait a week for mail order to finish a pedal. The joys of living in a small town. [cursing]

Are they an "in store only" item? I just checked their site but couldn't find them.

Those are cool looking enclosures...There are similar ones available through Mouser but they are kind of pricey.

Not sure. You might want to check them out in store if you can anyways because I've felt a couple that were pretty flimsy and not suitable for a stompbox. Bluesguitar's looks like one of the heavy duty ones.

Yea, these are in store items. They have al sorts of enclosures in all styles and sizes. They have hammond enclosures also.

It was me. Though I didn't suggest different knobs on the same pedal, just better looking ones. Putting those BYOC knobs on your great looking pedals was like granny nipples on a hot lady. Blasphemous! [flapper]

BTW, I think the plain silver knobs look best on that Fuzz Face size wise. The ones with the silver flange and the black pointer look great if they are not too big. Hard to tell.

As for those Fry enclosures - very cool looking. Need a 1950s space theme for those! [thumbup] I have some retro looking enclosures from Weber that I am going to do that way.

LOL....

Yea, these are in store items. They have al sorts of enclosures in all styles and sizes. They have hammond enclosures also.

Yeah but did you check their prices on the Hammonds? Last time I checked it was like $8 for a 1590A. No thanks!

Anyways I wired that delay pedal up and I'm pretty proud of myself right now. It worked first try and sounds unbelievably awesome. I'm so happy right now!

That was a really gnarly vero build! I was half expecting it would never work haha

Yeah but did you check their prices on the Hammonds? Last time I checked it was like $8 for a 1590A. No thanks!

Anyways I wired that delay pedal up and I'm pretty proud of myself right now. It worked first try and sounds unbelievably awesome. I'm so happy right now!

That was a really gnarly vero build! I was half expecting it would never work haha

Yea, they were $8 for the hammonds. Hey Dubs, you ever got around building that buzzaround fuzz? I ant to build that, but I've only seen schematics for it....not really too comfortable building from schemtatics....I'm still in the simple layout stage.

Yea, they were $8 for the hammonds. Hey Dubs, you ever got around building that buzzaround fuzz? I ant to build that, but I've only seen schematics for it....not really too comfortable building from schemtatics....I'm still in the simple layout stage.

Hey, BG - GuitarPCB has a Buzzaround layout and board I think. They call it the Fuzzy Bee or something. Also you might find a layout on freestompboxes.org

Hey, BG - GuitarPCB has a Buzzaround layout and board I think. They call it the Fuzzy Bee or something. Also you might find a layout on freestompboxes.org

Thanks surfpup....btw.. have you started on any of those mammoth kits you ordered? I'm kicking myself for not ordering when they had that 40% off coupon. DAMN!!!

And talking about Mammoth, where exactly do I find the instructions to build my kit?

You generally have to register for an account at GuitarPCB.com, which will allow you to access the forums. The build plans are located there.

Thanks surfpup....btw.. have you started on any of those mammoth kits you ordered? I'm kicking myself for not ordering when they had that 40% off coupon. DAMN!!!

I quit ordering the kits a while back. Although it will take a few days longer, I used to order the PCB from GuitarPCB.com, then just order the parts I needed from Mammoth, the savings was around 40% to 50%. That was a little while back, so things may have changed.

No I haven't. I've been having too much fun with the boosters on turret board. I'm working on a one knob COT type circuit now instead of the two knob. However, since I'm stuck awaiting some parts I may have to hop on those Mammoth kits.

I haven't built a Buzzaround per se, but I've built a really similar fuzz.

Do you want to try a vero build? The Buzzaround would be a good place to start.

Check this out http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-KqMNt_jDKso/Ty3UvJyDw_I/AAAAAAAAAjs/mEJ8YiGZsic/s1600/Burns+Buzzaround+-+compact.png

I haven't built a Buzzaround per se, but I've built a really similar fuzz.

Do you want to try a vero build? The Buzzaround would be a good place to start.

Check this out http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-KqMNt_jDKso/Ty3UvJyDw_I/AAAAAAAAAjs/mEJ8YiGZsic/s1600/Burns+Buzzaround+-+compact.png

Thanks Dubs! Do you use a dremel cutting wheel to size the vero board? What do you use to cut the trace of the vero board?

Thanks Dubs! Do you use a dremel cutting wheel to size the vero board? What do you use to cut the trace of the vero board?

Use a drill bit just slightly larger than the trace to break it. You don't have to go all the way through, just enough to break the trace. You can use whatever you may already have to cut the board. I use a jig saw for now, but a Dremel tool, band saw, scroll saw, even a hack saw would all work fine.

I break the vero board with my hands and needle nose pliers. To cut the traces I just use the step drill bit that I drill my enclosures with but I do it with my hand and not the drill. It's really important to make sure that there aren't any little pieces of metal or solder that are bridging the traces where you don't want it.

I'm feeling like populating a board right now so I'll take a picture of it soldered and cut on the trace side for you.

Archived