Gibson Brands Forums

The DIY thread

Dub-T-123

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nah I traded it for the super puzzle.

The bass and bias controls are really cool! It has the same fundamental OD sound of the full version but the different controls give you a lot of different sounds. It'd be worth it to buy both I think

Nice, it'll probably be a long while before I think about adding a second OD to the chain. Reverberator and another fuzz are next in line after tax season.

• 2 weeks later...

I repaired a vintage '87 ProCo RAT for my friend at another forum.

The construction of the pedal is incredibly solid but the switch went out after years of abuse. I threw a new Carling DPDT in there for him and was very careful to wire it as it originally was.

Here's a little pic

photo-1372.jpg

If you notice the switch is wired directly to the board in 5 places with unsheilded solid wires. This is how it was done originally, so I desoldered the original wires, put some new ones in, and wired up the new switch the same way they did at the factory.

It was a fun project and the pedal sounds absolutely incredible!

For some reason I haven't posted a lot of the stuff I've built lately. I've got a few really cool things in the works though.

Today I made this D*A*M Meathead (Dark) clone on vero and threw it into a ridiculously huge folded metal box for my bassist.

photo-977.jpg

Mallory and Phillips caps. I used a 2N3904 for Q1 and a BC182L for Q2 like the original.

It sounds great! I also made another one to the normal (not dark) specs for guitar.

Other than that, I've been coming up with new mods for my delays and I just got some sweet NOS germaniums and caps for some more fuzz builds.

Anyone else build anything lately?

• 2 weeks later...

there are many really nice DIY projects show in there 22 pages. I never built a pedal , fixed a few. I just my strats and other guitars and quite a few tube amps. I think I built 20 guitars and 12 amps. I sold all but three strats and two amps. I just stuck with fenders schematics on the amps and added just a few mods for tone sake. I built quite a few speaker cabs . One I built out of mahogany plywood and re-did it at lest 5 times for different amps I built and then build new cabs for them so now it's the cab I have my Fender SF champ home brew in. Wood is expensive so I don't toss any out. I still have two guitar one is my first one sitting wrapped in plastic in the garage and I robbed all the hardware off it and another I built a few years later both in the early 80's that one is mahogany and a five piece neck sort of a solid body single cutaway that looked like a thin body acoustic with my own odd design head stock . I then decided since the bridge I make just like an acoustic to cut out the center of the bridge and install a strat hardtail cheapo bridge and installed a aftermarket bigsby but that didn't work out well I wish I had left it as it was . I had no pots on it just one PU in a plate where the soundhole would be then after adding the new bridge I routed out more of the body and made a new 2 section face plate with 2 strat PU's and the other for the vol and tone pot. So the only way I can put it back the way it was is to either fill the new cotrol cavity with something that matches the mahogany or any hard wood and paint it. I also thought of shaving off the top and making a solid wood thin top like a solid laminate but the top has a black bound edge and I would need to do that over again too. Them perhaps I'll just change the bridge for a better one and take off the bigsby that never worked and perhaps make a new acoustic bridge with strings through the body. I just haven't had the desire to even begin on this . Something will pop into my head to get creative and make it close to what it was, or better. It has a 2" wide neck at the nut and plays great or did . I made the finger board flat like a nylon string. It's not a lost cause it has a set in neck and the peghead is dropped down like a fender not angled back like a gibson so I used string trees. I also though of routing the top down about 1/8" and leaving the binding in place and also 1/4" of the mahogany for a weird binding affect and making the new set in top out of spruce I have.

I don;t how you people afford to do these projects these days. I looked into building a basic TS-9 just in a hammond box and I do have caps and resisters and other parts left over from amp builds . I have to ask basically what does it cost to build a TS-9 type pedal with more low end compared to buying one and doing a few mods?

When I get a chance if anyone is interested I'll take a photo of it as it sits now.

Well, it's not exactly guitar related, but music in general.

I resurrected an old Sabian XS20 my drummer busted the bell out of during our first jam. I made a whole mount for it and everything. I flipped it inside out and it now has a low, mellow, china-like sound. (but it's still dark and trashy [flapper] )

zN9Cb.jpg

I don;t how you people afford to do these projects these days. I looked into building a basic TS-9 just in a hammond box and I do have caps and resisters and other parts left over from amp builds . I have to ask basically what does it cost to build a TS-9 type pedal with more low end compared to buying one and doing a few mods?

Hey buddy. My projects pay for themselves because I sell most of them.

But to answer your question, a realistic estimate would be about $45 including shipping for parts if you're savvy.

It depends on what materials you work with. If you use veroboard or perfboard you'll save some money. If you buy a prefabbed PCB you'll add about an extra $10 to that.

Hey buddy. My projects pay for themselves because I sell most of them.

But to answer your question, a realistic estimate would be about $45 including shipping for parts if you're savvy.

It depends on what materials you work with. If you use veroboard or perfboard you'll save some money. If you buy a prefabbed PCB you'll add about an extra $10 to that.

Thanks Dub-T-123:

So wouldn't it be better for me just to get a boss SD-1 for $50 new and later just do some mods if i don't like it? I have a rocktron Austin Gold that I like very much as far as the sound it offers. I really don't use pedals much , just wanted another to add to the AG . I like OD pedals that don't become close to distortion pedals.

I dunno, depends on what sound you're after. There are lots of ways to mod a Tube Screamer to sound really nice.

You can just make another Austin Gold if you really like that one

The Austin Gold I have still works fine. I just wanted another sound just to have a choice. I can't find the AG schematic . I just felt rather than build a pedal and I did have the TS-9 and BD-2 and others all were pretty close so I felt the SD-1 I did have sounded much like the TS-9 and Boss and the TS-9 pedals are all built solid in a way that makes mods easy. I liked the BD-2 and TS-9 all but the loss of bottom end so I thought maybe changing the tone control on a SD-1 would do what I needed. The SD-1 is half the cost of the TS-9 or BD-2 and built the same way. I like chassis mounted pots and jacks not pc mounted. I felt connecting the SD-1 to the AG I could then get more options. Rocktron does not make the AG anymore they have new pedals now. The AG has pc mounted pots and jacks so I will leave it as is. I just for me see the point of building a pedal complete when I can get the SD-1 and change a few things if I don't like the sound yet as far as I recall the TS-9 did not sound all that different. I got it because it was touted as the go to pedal same with the BD-2 because they print Blues on the lable. The BD-2 did have a deeper tone yet the TS-9 was not as crunchy sounding.

You should check out some of the pedals from Wampler like the Paisley Drive. There are schematics and layouts for this circuit online and it will sound a lot better than a SD-1 or TS-9

If you're picky you'll probably be wasting your time with the SD-1..

I should of posted it here instead of creating thread, but here is one I just built last night. Its a PT2399 based delay pedal and sounds a whole lot like an old tape echoplex echo unit I use to have. Its sounds great, but there is one annoying noise that I can't seem to get rid of. It has this motor engine reving noise when you set the "TIME" knob past noon for longer delays/echos. Its ANNOYING! If I can get rid of it, it would be perfect. Any suggestions? DUBS????

Here are my voltage readings:

Power source: 9v battery = 7.73v

PT2399 GW0919:

Pin 1 = 5.00v

2 = 2.40v

3 = 0.4mv

4 = 0.4mv

5 = 2.99v

6 = 2.39v

7 = 0.72

8 = 0.73

9 = 2.40

10 = 2.40

11 = 2.41

12 = 2.40

13 = 2.40

14 = 2.40

15 = 2.40

16 = 2.40

Ti TL072CP:

Pin 1 = 3.89v

2 = 3.89v

3 = 3.89v

4 = 0.3mv

5 = 7.76v

6 = 3.89

7 = 3.89

8 = 3.79

LM78L05 (Facing flat side of tranistor) Datasheet http://www.datasheetcatalog.com/datasheets_pdf/7/8/L/0/78L05ACZ.shtml

1 (out) = 4.99v

2 (com) = 0.2mv

3 (input) = 7.73v

IMG_0837.jpg

IMG_0842.jpg

IMG_0841.jpg

Ahh. Sounds like you just got a bum PT2399 bluesguitar. It happens all the time. I don't know why but a majority of those chips are faulty and are very noisy with the motor boating sound like you described.

Just get like 4 or 5 more PT2399s and swap them in the circuit and find the least noisy one.

Very nice build there though hombre that lime green wire is sweet!

Delay builds are my favorite lately. I was experimenting with my Deep Blue Delay based circuit and figured out how to add a control to control how bright or dark the repeats are and I've been having lots of fun with that. I dialed it in to take you from a tape like sound to an analog like sound. It's so cool!

Ahh. Sounds like you just got a bum PT2399 bluesguitar. It happens all the time. I don't know why but a majority of those chips are faulty and are very noisy with the motor boating sound like you described.

Just get like 4 or 5 more PT2399s and swap them in the circuit and find the least noisy one.

Very nice build there though hombre that lime green wire is sweet!

Delay builds are my favorite lately. I was experimenting with my Deep Blue Delay based circuit and figured out how to add a control to control how bright or dark the repeats are and I've been having lots of fun with that. I dialed it in to take you from a tape like sound to an analog like sound. It's so cool!

Thanks Dubs [thumbup] [thumbup]

Any advice on where to purchase some good quality PT2399 chips? I saw a couple at eBay from as US seller selling some princeton brand, 10 for $5.00, free shipping. Worth ordering?

I actually like this new delay build better than my DM-2 [scared] [scared] Sounds very close to my old echoplex tape echo unit. Now If I can get past that annoying motorboat puttering noise it would be perfect.

That eBay deal sounds sweet! I just get mine from mammoth but always order several extra to pick the best one.

If that eBay seller isn't just a one time thing I'll have to order a bunch from him. That's a great deal. I think I normally pay like $3 each so 10 for $5 is awesome!

Getting rid of the motorboat sound is totally as easy as just swapping the PT2399 so you'll get it fixed no problem. You'll probably still get a bit of noise at the longest delay setting but that's to be expected.

What does the toggle switch do in this pedal?

That eBay deal sounds sweet! I just get mine from mammoth but always order several extra to pick the best one.

If that eBay seller isn't just a one time thing I'll have to order a bunch from him. That's a great deal. I think I normally pay like $3 each so 10 for $5 is awesome!

Getting rid of the motorboat sound is totally as easy as just swapping the PT2399 so you'll get it fixed no problem. You'll probably still get a bit of noise at the longest delay setting but that's to be expected.

What does the toggle switch do in this pedal?

Thanks Dubs! The toggle is a warp switch. It allows you to set the Time, and Repeats to max so it will not oscillate, but if want it to oscillate, just flip the switch and you are in warp speed [flapper] It comes in handy. I'm thinking of adding a tap temp feature, but I need to purchase the daughter board.

Tadya is legit but I believe they ship from china or something and it takes like a month to get parts from them. I could be wrong about that though I haven't ordered from them myself.

I think I'll stock up on PT2399s from eBay.

You should do the tap tempo mod! Even though I think tap tempo is kinda useless it would definitely be fun to build a delay with that feature.

Playing around with some paints today and I sprayed this

photo-985.jpg

The pic is a little blurry, but it looks pretty trippy in real life

Nice! Haven't seen that color in a Hammerite. What is that color called and where did you get it? So did you order those PT2399? I'm a bit concern since they are in N.Y. I've contacted the seller twice yesterday and no replies yet. Wonder they were effected by the power outtages there.

I sprayed a bunch of layers of paint to get that color. I did it all at once so the colors blended together. It was kindof a random experiment that happened to turn out pretty cool I think.

The hammerite part is a dark green hammerite rustoleum paint

I haven't ordered the PT2399s yet. Gotta do a major order tommorow. Good luck with that though I'm sure it will turn out fine.

photo-1072.jpg

Sprayed the rest of the box today. It's kinda drippy but I like it.

I also just ordered the parts for 3 delays, a Fuzzrite, and a looper/buffer/booster utility pedal I got commissioned to build. I also got 20x PT2399s, 50x 16 pin sockets, and 60x 8 pin sockets. I'm gonna be totally stocked up on sockets lol

Archived