Gibson Brands Forums

cab and head set up

schnarz25

Hey everyone, haven't posted on here in a while. anyways, Christmas is coming and I'm looking into picking up some new gear. I've got a band coming together and I need something a little better than my line 6 spider III. so I'm looking for a good cab and head rig for playing rock, hard rock, older rock(lynyrd skynyrd, rush), metal and the occasional metalcore(as I lay dying) but I play alot of clean stuff too so something that's really versatile would be great. look up skillet, switchfoot, and disciple if you want to see what I'm mainly using it for. my budget's under $1000 for the cab and head together. I'm using it in a pretty standard band setting so I dont need anything crazy loud but I need to be able to compete with a drum set. I'm probably going to run either a line6 pod hd500 or line6 M9 and use the head and cab for most of my distortion because I don't want to buy a ton of pedals. I know I'm kinda just saying find me an amp lol but I'm hoping to learn in the process. thanks for the help.

Have you looked at the Marshall MG series?Although they are solid state they sound very tube like in their performance and can play clinically clean.Also worth looking into is the Vox Valvetronix series they are hybrid with a 12 AX7 tube in the power amp section.

I bought a used AD 120 VTH head for $399 that was only a little over a year old yet cost $1,200 new and bought a new 412 BN Stereo cab with Grinrod designed Wharfedales for just $350 and then picked up a VC12 Footcontroller for just $150.So I got a top of the line Vox rig for just $900 when it cost over $2,500 new.The Vox has the most realistic amp and effects models on the market.

These would be my first choices for heads and cabs unless you can pick up a good used tube powered Marshall half stack.Which would be really ideal.

The Traynor YCS series. I have the YCS50 (50 watt with 2 channels) and there is also a 100 watt, 3 channel version.

They do all those styles easily. As for the clean tone, there is a brit/usa switch on Channel 1 (clean channel) that repositions the volume control in relation to the tone controls for tones closer to either Marshall or Fender depending on the mode chosen.

The great thing about these amps is they are Canadian made and if you live in North America there's a 2 year, UNLIMITED warranty and they won't break the bank either.

thanks for the suggestions guys. I was hoping to not buy used because I didn't want to deal with the hassle of it even though I've bought several things used before. I looked into the orange heads and they're kinda pricey for my budget. what wattage would you recommend for the head/cab for what I'm trying to do with it? I've heard you want your cab to be 150% of your heads wattage. is this true?

also, has anyone used peavey's heads? they've got some pretty affordable stuff and I play with a guy that says he likes them alot. he doesn't have his anymore though, otherwise I'd be able to see if I like it or not.

@ TDS, I'll have to look into those traynors. they sound pretty nice.

I'll let the guys like Shredastaire and other Blackstar owners give a better answer (as they own one and I don't!) but - if I was looking for a good value - yet high quality amp that could do clean and distortion equally well I'd seriously consider a Black star...

Something like this head, the studio 20 would only set you back around $400

http://www.musicians...uitar-amp-headv

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shMckzWyTG4&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLwofp8eKng

thanks for the suggestions guys. I was hoping to not buy used because I didn't want to deal with the hassle of it even though I've bought several things used before. I looked into the orange heads and they're kinda pricey for my budget. what wattage would you recommend for the head/cab for what I'm trying to do with it? I've heard you want your cab to be 150% of your heads wattage. is this true?

also, has anyone used peavey's heads? they've got some pretty affordable stuff and I play with a guy that says he likes them alot. he doesn't have his anymore though, otherwise I'd be able to see if I like it or not.

@ TDS, I'll have to look into those traynors. they sound pretty nice.

On my handsome devil 15 watt ive got it running through the matching cab which i believe is 70 watts so Ive no idea about this 150% you mentioned.

Have you looked at the marshall class 5, Ive heard good things about it and I know a fair few people on the forum like it, but the blackstar is another excellent suggestion.

Ive got a peavey pv 900 in the living room but we only use it for houseparties. I havent tried miking up my amp and running it through that yet. I hear good things about the 6505+ 112 combo though

That blackstar sounds awesome! I'll have to play one but for the money that looks like a really good choice. Will that be plenty loud for a band with the right cab? What cab would you recommend and how many watts should it be to have enough volume to be loud enough in the mix?

I just found that the balckstar ht 20 head has an output for recording and sound systems so you dont have to have a cab hooked up to it which is great for me because I play alot at church and different things like that where I'm going directly to a sound system.

Thanks everyone, it looks like I know what head I'm getting now unless somebody knows of something better for the money.

now just the cab...

That blackstar sounds awesome! I'll have to play one but for the money that looks like a really good choice. Will that be plenty loud for a band with the right cab? What cab would you recommend and how many watts should it be to have enough volume to be loud enough in the mix?

I just found that the balckstar ht 20 head has an output for recording and sound systems so you dont have to have a cab hooked up to it which is great for me because I play alot at church and different things like that where I'm going directly to a sound system.

Thanks everyone, it looks like I know what head I'm getting now unless somebody knows of something better for the money.

now just the cab...

Just make sure you test it out before you actually buy it. Remember that it may not fit your playing style and you may not get on with it

Just make sure you test it out before you actually buy it. Remember that it may not fit your playing style and you may not get on with it

This, and make sure it's loud enough for your band setting. Don't be afraid to shop used, if you're patient you can find a really good setup for the price of a new one of lesser quality.

so would you guys recommend buying the head new and getting a used cab? where do you guys shop for used gear, eBay?

btw, how big of a cab can that head power?

Would this be a good cab for that head or do I need a 4x12 http://www.guitarcenter.com/Blackstar-Venue-Series-HTV-212-160W-2x12-Guitar-Speaker-Cabinet-423773-i1521964.gc ? how loud could something like this get with that head

GRATUITOUS RIG PRON....

save yer pennies and get one of these.

Highly recommended for classic rock tone, especially when used in conjunction with a EH big muff....

And Shopping used can be your friend, I have a total just around 2grand in this. cab was new,the head itself I would call "gently used"

[drool] [drool] [drool]

WP_000135.jpg

Tubes shouldn't need to be replaced within a couple years at least (hell some last decades, depends on the tube itself and how hot it is biased usually), sometimes you do get the occasional dud. It all depends on which type of tubes are being replaced and which manufacturer/source you purchase them from. You're looking at about $40 bucks or so for the 2x 12ax7 and 2x EL84 for JJ brand.

I just read this http://blackstaramps.forumotion.com/t144-ht20-head-initial-thoughts . That blackstar sounded great in those demos. I wonder why that guy had such a bad experience.

I also read that you cant run the emulated out into a sound system without having a speaker hooked up for resistance which really stinks for me. maybe it's just back to getting a pod hd500 for direct out and use my spider III for band. decisions,decisions...

Maybe I should just get a pod hd500 and get some kind of speaker for it and just run that. could I run guitar to pod to just a cab?

Archived