Gibson Brands Forums

Local Nut Job

Malchik

I just had a new Tusq nut installed on my cheap SG, and I can really hear the improvement. A bone nut really does brighten up your guitar. I took the guitar to a local shop and the guy, after a few days, installed a new nut for ten bucks. The workmanship itself looks a little rough, but it's intonated properly, so I don't care.

Maybe I'll have a genuine bone or mammoth ivory nut carved for my more expensive Gibsons. Can I assume vintage Gibson nuts were bone?

I just had a new Tusq nut installed on my cheap SG, and I can really hear the improvement. A bone nut really does brighten up your guitar. I took the guitar to a local shop and the guy, after a few days, installed a new nut for ten bucks. The workmanship itself looks a little rough, but it's intonated properly, so I don't care.

Maybe I'll have a genuine bone or mammoth ivory nut carved for my more expensive Gibsons. Can I assume vintage Gibson nuts were bone?

A nut installation for $10? holy molly! that is cheap.

50's Gibsons had nylon nuts.

Bone is good stuff as long as it is selected well, bone varies in density and can make a guitar ring unevenly.

Guest farnsbarns

Doesn't it only improve tone of the string when sounded open. The fretted notes are pressed against metal frets. So there are only 4 notes to improve by replacing the nut? Is that correct? Or does it effect the sound of all the notes?

String vibrations are imparted to the neck via the fret, the nut and the tuner. They are imparted to the body via the bridge and the tail piece. The nut plays as important a role in this as any other part.

Archived