Gibson Brands Forums

GOT MYSELF A NEW TOY

LPguitarman

My 6-year old DLP 52" flat screen TV went out a few weeks ago. Since it probably would have cost several hundred dollars to fix and the fact that I've had to replace the Lamp 3-times over the last 6-years at $250 a pop, I decided to trash it and get a new TV.

So I went out last Friday afternoon (Yes Black Friday) and bought a Samsung 46" LED-LCD TV. I also got an HDMI cable to replace the component cable I previously had. WHAT A GREAT PICTURE!!! I would recommend LED over anything else. The High Definition is so clear you actually feel like you are right there.

The salesman at BestBuy says this should last 20-years. I'm hoping he's right. [thumbup]

What series did you get. 6700 7000 8000 9000? I bet the BB person didn't tell you how to calibrate it properly did he. PM me and Ill point you in the right direction. I have yet to see a TV that uses its full potential out of the box. Be careful with HDMI. The better cables are directional. Glad to see you didn't get a Visio. SORRY VIZIO either way, Buyer Beware

Agreed HDMI are mostly the same except for CL3 Rating, Plenum rating, Digital audio return and Ethernet compatibility.

One issue in the article he mentioned is not needing HDMI for 3D, not true anymore with new generation Blue Ray

players, they do not have component outputs only composite and HDMI.

Analog video is dead. which is a shame because analog is much more reliable. My company installs large commercial

systems with HDMI matrix switches and they can be a nightmare.

I agree that guitar players, the guys that believe in wood that breathes through the right paint, tubes that have mojo, run-down batteries, and oxygen free copper cables should definitely know about this.

rct

I looked at the Samsung but ended up buying a different brand (Sony) based on a friend that does TV repairs saying that they have a real problem with overheating to a level that causes them some severe problems. I don't know the details and apparently it doest affect all their TV's but I guess it's pretty common, my buddy says that it's so bad that Samsung even has backorders right now for the part that has to be replaced. I took an infrared thermometer into Sears with me and measured the temperatures of all the LED's and LCD's on the TV wall. On average the Samsung's ran anywhere from 23 degree warmer all the way up to one that was 40 degrees warmer than the TV's around it. Sony and Toshiba ran the coolest basically only about five degree's warmer than the wall behind them.

Don't know what that really means but next time your at Best Buys or Sears feel the TV's it's amazing the 46 inch Samsung we were originally looking at felt like a space heater compared to the units around it. I don't know if it's a big deal or not, but heat and electronics never seem to go well together.

I agree that guitar players, the guys that believe in wood that breathes through the right paint, tubes that have mojo, run-down batteries, and oxygen free copper cables should definitely know about this.

rct

Yes I am aware of this RCT. I do video for a living. Cables... You get what you pay for to a certain point... ( do they have a middle finger emoticon on here?) msp_flapper.gif

Nice! I'm gonna need to do something similar soon.

Please tell me you didn't fall for the $100 HDMI cable?

Got a Monster Cable package deal:

HDMI Cable, Surge Protection Power Strip with Cable and Phone Inputs, and a bottle of Screen Cleaner all for $150.

What series did you get. 6700 7000 8000 9000? I bet the BB person didn't tell you how to calibrate it properly did he. PM me and Ill point you in the right direction. I have yet to see a TV that uses its full potential out of the box. Be careful with HDMI. The better cables are directional. Glad to see you didn't get a Visio. SORRY VIZIO either way, Buyer Beware

6700 Not sure exactly what you mean by calibrating. I set up the TV and made all of the picture and sound adjustments. Is there something more? I won't be using all of the "Smart TV Functions". I have no need for them and I won't be hooking any games up to the TV also.

I looked at the Samsung but ended up buying a different brand (Sony) based on a friend that does TV repairs saying that they have a real problem with overheating to a level that causes them some severe problems. I don't know the details and apparently it doest affect all their TV's but I guess it's pretty common, my buddy says that it's so bad that Samsung even has backorders right now for the part that has to be replaced. I took an infrared thermometer into Sears with me and measured the temperatures of all the LED's and LCD's on the TV wall. On average the Samsung's ran anywhere from 23 degree warmer all the way up to one that was 40 degrees warmer than the TV's around it. Sony and Toshiba ran the coolest basically only about five degree's warmer than the wall behind them.

Don't know what that really means but next time your at Best Buys or Sears feel the TV's it's amazing the 46 inch Samsung we were originally looking at felt like a space heater compared to the units around it. I don't know if it's a big deal or not, but heat and electronics never seem to go well together.

Didn't really notice the temperatures. If it does get hot, I'll use it as a space heater, my living room can get a little cold in the winter... [flapper]

Try this

Short of a professional ISF calibration this will make your TV scream.

http://reviews.lcdtvbuyingguide.com/lcdtvreviews/samsung-c6500-calibration.html

All of these values are in your PICTURE menu

Thanks Mark, I did mess with some of these setting already. I'll try these new settings tonight and see what happens.

Archived