Gibson Brands Forums

Hummingbird True Vintage.....Take a chance?

music4love

Hello. Good to be back on this forum. I've been away for along time. I am a former Gibson J-150 owner. I sold that about 5 years ago with the intention of getting a CJ-165R. That never happened. Since then I've owner several nice guitars including a Martin J-40 and a quilted maple Taylor GS, and a few other custom builds.

After all is said and done, I am back focused on songwriting and singing rather than playing in a live band setting as a rhythm guitarists. IMHO nothing support vocals better than a Gibson. And I have fallen hard for that sweet unique hummingbird warmth. I played a great example of a Modern Classic at my local GC this past weekend. Being that I fingerpick 50% of the time I think the True Vintage would be more to my liking due to the lighter bracing. I also prefer the finish and case.

My questions are do the new TV Hummingbirds come with hide glue construction like the original run did?

And, are these models consistent enough to take the chance at ordering online. My local stores don't carry. Plus I have a special online Gibson dealer that beats everyones prices but they are in another state. So I can't play before I buy. But I do purchase on approval.

I can't believe how versatile this short scale mahogany dread is. What a wonderful guitar.

You could give it a try, but my vote would be to travel to a shop that has both Hummers to try them next to each other.

I do 100% fingerpicking and agonised like you are doing over the J45 Standard I tried and a J45 TV next to it. I eventually decided to take the J45 Standard because I play country blues and this guitar sounded best for country blues. Others will disagree. You might have disagreed, but over 12 months later I stand by my decision.

So you need to try them, and others. You may end up with a J45. I was in the Gibson shop trying out a Hummingbird TV at the time!!!

BluesKing777.

My questions are do the new TV Hummingbirds come with hide glue construction like the original run did?

And, are these models consistent enough to take the chance at ordering online. My local stores don't carry. Plus I have a special online Gibson dealer that beats everyones prices but they are in another state. So I can't play before I buy. But I do purchase on approval.

I can't believe how versatile this short scale mahogany dread is. What a wonderful guitar.

Good question. I would also love to know when the first run of HB TV's started production and if they were constructed with hide glue, or was it only on the limited run of 167 V.O.S. peices?

I have tried several J-45 models. I had the opportunity to a/b a J-45 with the hummingbird mc, a used CJ-165R, a songwriter, a J200, and a hummingbird pro. My local GC has all of these in stock. I liked them all. But when I was alone in the acoustic room, it was that hummingbird mc that complimented my female singing voice the best. In addition, worked great for my playing style. The short scale neck was a great relief to my hands. It made the guitar feel like it played itself. Im definitely after a hummingbird. I just need to get my hands on a tv model so that I can compare it with the mc. Im very tempted to purchase the mc that I fell for. But Im thinking a tv would have everything that mc has and more.

This clip has been posted here a few times, but I think it could be posted again.

From my experience with both the HB TV and MC this test really captured the difference and similarities between the two.

In the past some didnt hear much difference, others hears small differences, then to others it was significant.

To my ears there is a sigficant difference where the TV sounds richer, sweeter, more open with greater depth than the MC, which still sounds great, but in the same league as the TV.

The whole Bozeman line uses hide glue for the dovetail joint and typically tite-bond for the rest. In some models they use hide glue throughout. I don't know if the original run of HB tv's had that... It's expensive to use hide glue throughout because the glue must be used at the right temp so the process is a bit different...

The whole Bozeman line uses hide glue for the dovetail joint and typically tite-bond for the rest. In some models they use hide glue throughout. I don't know if the original run of HB tv's had that... It's expensive to use hide glue throughout because the glue must be used at the right temp so the process is a bit different...

Thanks Jerry K. Happen to run into a May '07 honeyburst red label gloss finished h'bird with a brown case pink lining that looks original. Feels a little lighter than most dred's. Not sure if it was part of the 'original line run'? Would like a little more info ammo to make an offer on. If anyone else may help I would be much obliged. Thnx again

Music4Love, in some attempt to answer your question - I've got an H'bird TV built last December. It has what I'd call a low gloss finish.. semi-gloss maybe but not 'eggshell'. It is not as 'shiny' as many guitars. Noticebly less shiny than my 2004 SJ200. I'd guess closer to what the shine factor was in the '60s. Not to confuse matters, I believe Gibson introduced a variation on the H'bird TV several months ago that had a shinier finish. For me, I am significantly less concerned about the reflectivity of the finish than the overall artistic appeal of what some feel is the most attractive accoustic ever made. I'm more infatuated with the sunburst, for example, than the glossiness level. But, of course - the greatest weight to your decision should be how it feels and how it sounds. Sounds like you've already made up your mind. G'luck!

And, are these models consistent enough to take the chance at ordering online.

music4love,

Unfortunately, I cannot help you out with a comparison between the TV and the MC, nor am I able to comment on the consistency of the TVs. What I can tell you is that my brother owns a H'bird from the 2008 run of 167, and it is an amazing guitar. I had always loved the look of the Hummingbird, but tonally I preferred the slope shoulders. I have gotten to spend some time with my brother's guitar, however, and have fallen in love with it. It is very, very resonant, light weight and has excellent tone. If today's TVs are like this one, I would definitely go for the TV. I just don't have the experience with current TVs to say.

As for the hide glue question, perhaps someone here can help clarify something for me. Did the original run of 167 use all hide glue construction (not just the neck) for the Hummingbird? I know it did for J-45, but I was under the impression that by the 1960's when the original Hummingbirds came out, Gibson had stopped using hide glue, thus the special run did not use hide glue on these. I am not sure where I got this impression, and I may be completely wrong about this. Does anyone know?

Thanks,

John

I am a happy new owner of Hummingbird . This guitar far exceeded my expectations. I traded in a very nice customguitars guitar for it. $250 out the door was too good for me to pass up. I had favor working for me today and I am so thankful. Gibson is building excellent guitars. And this is by far the best guitar I have ever had for vocal work. What a sweet warm tone. The short scale just suits my hands better. This is the first dread that I have ever owned. Somehow it doesn't feel as bulky as some other dreads that I have passed on. Smells good too!

By the way, anyone know what strings they come from the factory with? I want to keep this tone going. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Archived