Gibson Brands Forums

Detuning 2 half steps

livemusic

I like to play some songs detuned two half steps (one whole step), D to D tuning. This helps me sing certain songs, where I want to retain open chord shapes. Wondering if anyone has any practical tips.

Seems I have read where Jackson Browne does this? Anyone know if he does anything special to his guitar? I own a Jackson Browne sig Gibson.

I have done this with my Gibson Gospel and it works okay. Also, a Colling OM3. (Even 3 half steps down!) And I didn't change anything.

I would think theory is that medium strings tuned 1/2 step down would be same tension as lights at standard tuning. And heavy strings 2 half steps down would be same as lights at standard. Although, using heavy strings... might have to file the nut grooves?

Also, do you feel that a certain guitar would be best suited for this? I am talking mostly fingerstyle, using flesh of fingertips (I have no nails). For slow to medium tempo singer-songwriter songs. Although, I recently recorded a VERY strummy up-tempo song with my Gibson Gospel tuned 2 half steps down and it did great. Although, I was using medium strings and had a partial capo on fret 2.

EDIT: This pertains to a 6 string guitar.

A popular strategy...

Paul McCartney sang 'Yesterday' and 'Mother Nature's Son' tuned down a whole step

Many 12 string players tune down 2,3 and 4 half steps to taste

String gauge is very much trial and error and may involve a 'nut job'

While you are at it, how about trying out open G, open D and DADGAD tuning?....

V

:-({|=

I tune everything down at least one whole step.

The old 12 string players like Blind Willie McTell because the guitars they played could take just so much tuned down as low as A. Other like Lightnin' Hopkins and Albert King also oftenb tuned down to C. Gives you the fattest old A7 chord you ever heard.

I keep the 12 string tuned down a full step for vocals (funny how the range changes with age <_< ) and I rest easier at night knowing there's significantly less tension on the bridge; 23 years young and the neck is still in good shape... It's easy to capo up two frets to reach 440 if/when desired...

I keep the 12 string tuned down a full step for vocals (funny how the range changes with age <_< ) and I rest easier at night knowing there's significantly less tension on the bridge; 23 years young and the neck is still in good shape... It's easy to capo up two frets to reach 440 if/when desired...

LOL...I learned a lot of songs in the late 60's and early 70's....only to not play guitar for many many years...when I picked it up again....MY range had changed for ally the arrangements I learned in my youth. Tuning to "D" is a great aid for that range change, but makes playing with others problematic AND.....not all guitars sound good when payed in "D". The guitar I use for my cafe playing is a Harmony 1260 Sovereign, which sounds GREAT as a "D" tuned guitar. One thing I find helps...use 80-20 strings instead of PB strings, and try 13's instead of 12's if you tune down, you get a brighter sound with the 80-20's and more volume with the 13's!!

I keep the Blues King tuned down a tone with medium strings, and the 12 string (B25-12n) also down a tone for different reasons - the BK for a vocal experiment and the 12er because they like to pop a rivet and bust a boiler if tuned to standard.

I first heard about tuning down when I bought a dobro. At one stage I tried that guitar to a standard tuning only down 4 steps, then I settled for down 2 steps after discovering I sing better in F which is played like a G. Ha!

Only recently read about Macca playing acoustic dropped a tone! The Bs all had unusually pitched voices now that I think of it.

BluesKing777.

Archived